Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge Huckfest 2018 - Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSun Oct 14, 18 10:09 pm    Gorge Huckfest 2018 - Results Reply with quote

Here is an event recap for the 2018 Gorge Huckfest!

22 Men in Twin Tip Division
4 Foilers
8 Women in Twin Tip Division
=34 total competitors!

Saturday - Winds were light but all first heats were run. It's difficult to have a jumping competition without big wind but every competitor stuck it out, so big props to everyone giving it their best with what wind was available! Due to lack-luster winds after the first heats it was decided to finish the event on Sunday with a much better forecast.

Sunday - That strong fall wind came back and everyone was juiced. Stoke ran high. And people were sending it BIG!

WOO SESSION INFORMATION:
Every WOO session from each rider in each heat can be looked up on the free WOO app on android or apple. In the app, look for #gf18 and #gh18 to see a list of all Huckfest sessions and also #'s for each heat (sorry for the split in the hashtags, made a typo and didn't catch it for a bit!).
Each session description follows a format of [Rider Name] #gh18 #[heat number]

Examples: Dan #gh18 #mens1 // Jess #gh18 #womens2
Note: If you search on the website leaderboard you will only see the top jump stats of the accounts used to upload the WOO sessions, not the individual sessions.

LOST/FOUND ITEMS:
Several items were left after the end of the event on Sunday:
Wetsuit - (Suspected to be Jacob B's?)
North Pump
Insulated Cup
Oakley Sunglasses

Please post here or PM me if you are missing one of these items or if you know someone that is!

Competition Results:

Foilers Final (Scored as the sum of the highest jump from each of 3 heats):
1st - Jeff AKA Tak - H1 34.0' / H2 47.3' / H3 46.9' = 127.9' total
2nd - Jim AKA Stringy - H1 38.9' / H2 44.6' / H3 43.6' = 127.1' total
3rd - Team Ron B and Braden A (tag team!) H1 29.1 / H2 25.0 / H3 27.8' = 81.9' total

Foilers were super fun to watch, perhaps even the most popular with the crowd! I'm looking forward to seeing more foilers participate next time! And 1st and 2nd place were only 0.8' apart!

Women's Final (Scored as the sum of the highest jumps from each of 2 heats):
1st - Celeste R. - H1 20.6' / H2 33.9' = 54.5' total
2nd - Rachel C. - H1 18.4' / H2 31.9' = 50.3' total
3rd - Lindsey J. - H1 15.5' / H2 28.0' = 43.5' total
4th - Kristin P. - H1 11.7' / H2 25.2' = 36.9' total
5th - Penny L. - H1 10.1' / H2 21.5' = 31.6' total
6th - Danielle P. - H1 14.1' / H2 15.9' = 30.0' total

The ladies had it rough on Saturday with weak east winds going with the current and a barge plowing through the middle. Sunday the ladies went big!

Men's Final (Top three jumpers of each heat advanced to semifinals, then top 3 of semi's advanced to finals):
1st - Darren L. - 47.8'
2nd - Eric Ri. - 46.7'
3rd - Claudiu B. - 45.7'
4th - Jacob B. - 45.6'
5th - Martin A. - 39.2'
6th - Eric Re. - 37.6'

Similar to the ladies heats on Saturday, the first heats were all about big kites and trying to stay upwind after a jump. With the wind coming in strong on Sunday, the men's final was very close with 1st thru 4th only 2.2' apart! We even had a (strapped) surfboard make it all the way to the final, which was very exciting!

Special Awards!
Best "Salmon" Trick - Grom G. epic. salmon.
Best Kiteloop - Martin A. Twas Awesome.
Biggest Wipeout - Eric Re. (bar exploded in the men's final!).

Thanks to everyone who came out to participate, spectate, and cheer!
Big Thanks to everyone who helped out before, during, and after the event! So many people stepped forward to assist in everything from logo design, event planning, registration, heat flag waving and timing, WOO wrangling, launching, landing, relaunching, relanding, line untangling, multiple jetski rescues, event cleanup, and more! The kite community we have in the northwest is awesome and I am proud to be a part of it.

Big shoutout and thanks to all of the event sponsors that donated a TON of shwag and made the event possible:
WOO SPORTS
2ND WIND SPORTS
WINDANCE BOARDSHOP
NAISH
OCEAN RODEO
SLINGSHOT
DAKINE
VINDUR HAO

These sponsors contribute to our local kite events and help keep our events running so please think of them when you're looking for kite gear and apparel!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Oct 15, 18 10:26 am     Reply with quote

u get really high!!!

great work!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Oct 15, 18 11:02 am    Re: Gorge Huckfest 2018 - THANK YOU DERN! Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
. . .

Thanks to everyone who came out to participate, spectate, and cheer!
Big Thanks to everyone who helped out before, during, and after the event! So many people stepped forward to assist in everything from logo design, event planning, registration, heat flag waving and timing, WOO wrangling, launching, landing, relaunching, relanding, line untangling, multiple jetski rescues, event cleanup, and more! The kite community we have in the northwest is awesome and I am proud to be a part of it.

Big shoutout and thanks to all of the event sponsors that donated a TON of shwag and made the event possible:
WOO SPORTS
2ND WIND SPORTS
WINDANCE BOARDSHOP
NAISH
OCEAN RODEO
SLINGSHOT
DAKINE
VINDUR HAO

These sponsors contribute to our local kite events and help keep our events running so please think of them when you're looking for kite gear and apparel!

BIG SHOUT OUT and THANK YOU to Dern, for all his hard work!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 15, 18 5:35 pm    Re: Gorge Huckfest 2018 - Results Reply with quote

Dern wrote:

Foilers Final (Scored as the sum of the highest jump from each of 3 heats):
1st - Jeff AKA Tak - H1 34.0' / H2 47.3' / H3 46.9' = 127.9' total
2nd - Jim AKA Stringy - H1 38.9' / H2 44.6' / H3 43.6' = 127.1' total
3rd - Team Ron B and Braden A (tag team!) H1 29.1 / H2 25.0 / H3 27.8' = 81.9' total

Shocked Shocked Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 15, 18 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

super cool that darren pretty much single-handedly ran this year's huckfest event.
even those cool coasters were hand made by darren. I know its a lot of work and I appreciate that you put it together and we had some good wind to run the event.
here's a couple of pictures from Sunday's huck your meat competition.
good thing rescue ron was there, he was busy!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 16, 18 6:09 am     Reply with quote

link to huckfest gallery

https://jimstringfellow.smugmug.com/Huckfest-2018/

DrewB

Since 16 Aug 2006
381 Posts
PDX
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 24, 18 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

I brought my kids to finals day to check out the action.
It was super-fun and they had a blast!

Here is a quick edit that me and the boys put together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT5TVG2gNDo
They made me post it Very Happy

Thanks for the Airheads gum Stringy, it was a hit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: