Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Seaside 12th Ave Winter Kiting?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostTue Sep 18, 18 7:32 am     Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
Seaside estuary takes a fair amount of West in the wind. Straight south will be very dirty from all the buildings.
Lot D can be warm enough until December especially if the tide is coming in.
Nehalem State Park boatramp works well on Sw winds and on easterlies when Rooster is averaging over 40. The wind warms up more than Lot D by crossing the coast range and pouring down the Nehalem valley. On easterlies ikitesurfs gust is really the average and I discard the lull. Often 9m at 9am dropping to 12m by noon then gone by 2. Southwesterlies are purely frontal. The boatramp has a lot of shallow sand on either side but about 1/4 mile wide foilable channel even at low tide. I’ll be there a lot this fall&winter!

Thanks for the info man! What sensors do you all use on ikitesurf for Nehalem and Lot D?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 18, 18 7:36 am     Reply with quote

The tide out at Rooster doesn't have a strong effect - usually if the wind is strong it doesn't matter too much - although it is noticeably tougher to get upwind than f.e. in Hood River.

Btw. if you go to LV with you wife be sure to do some downwinders. Hanging around Baja Joe's is not the best for beginners either - big crowds, a little more swell, plus the wind comes last and dies first at Baja Joe's. Best experience for my wife was to start at Rasta beach and do a slow downwinder, essentially practicing some upwind skills but failing at it and finishing up around the campground at Playa Central. This usually ends up being a 3h downwinder where she could do a lot of progression and not be bothered by the crowds.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostTue Sep 18, 18 7:51 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
The tide out at Rooster doesn't have a strong effect - usually if the wind is strong it doesn't matter too much - although it is noticeably tougher to get upwind than f.e. in Hood River.

Btw. if you go to LV with you wife be sure to do some downwinders. Hanging around Baja Joe's is not the best for beginners either - big crowds, a little more swell, plus the wind comes last and dies first at Baja Joe's. Best experience for my wife was to start at Rasta beach and do a slow downwinder, essentially practicing some upwind skills but failing at it and finishing up around the campground at Playa Central. This usually ends up being a 3h downwinder where she could do a lot of progression and not be bothered by the crowds.

Thanks, we'll totally do that if we go this year. We're still torn between La Ventana and SPI. SP doesn't look all that interesting outside of kiteboarding, but from what I can tell the water is shallow which I think would help my wife progress. La Ventana just looks like an awesome experience though.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Sep 18, 18 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

I would probably do LV over SPI. Haven't been to LV myself, but I have been to SPI.

When there was no wind at SPI I found it to be a very boring place (as a tourist), minus the buckets of peel and eat shrimp and other gulf seafood. For learning, however, SPI does have the endless flatwater and rock steady wind.

One thing to keep in mind for is that while its comforting to be able to touch ground in waist deep water in places like SPI, slogging back in waist-deep water with your gear is extremely difficult and slower than swimming or self-rescuing back. If you kite half a mile offshore at SPI you can probably still touch (like shoulder deep) but you sure-as-shit aint walking back easily! So I think that being able to touch is a vastly overrated thing for beginners and it's way more important to have a convenient take-out point down wind for learning, and maybe a side-onshore wind.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Sep 18, 18 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

There is not a lot more to do in LV vs SPI. Besides kiting - LV has mountain biking, snorkeling with whale sharks(an hour away), SUPing and a few other activities. LV seems more like it is in the middle of nowhere. There are only a few full on restaurants with several other places to eat. The few restaurants we went to were really good. At SPI - besides kiting, there is a waterpark, a very cool turtle rescue aquarium, a nice bird sanctuary, ATVs on the beach, SUPing and a few other activities. There are definitely more restaurants, more shopping and 1st world amenities in SPI.
I have had good kiting at both spots, but I have had better luck at LV. I think LV is a prettier spot. Both spots have their pluses and minuses. It really depends on how lucky you get with the forecast. Darren brings up some good points in his post.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 19, 18 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
slogging back in waist-deep water with your gear is extremely difficult and slower than swimming or self-rescuing back.

There is no way you are faster swimming with gear than you are walking in waist deep water. It's not until mid chest that it becomes similar speed.

I think waist deep water is a huge help to beginners kiting and it just makes kiting feel more fun an casual and encourages them to try stuff they might otherwise be scared to do so they just mow the lawn.

Shallow water can also mean the difference between boardshorts and a wetsuit even in the same water temp which can be a big deal for some people.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 19, 18 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Blazeheliski wrote:
Josephine Young Memorial park just south of Lincoln City in the Siletz Bay. Good on south winds. Shallow water in most areas. The only negative is the mud is super slippery. When I was beginning, I got my first mud kiting experience there. Good year round spot for beginners. Mo's clam chowder at the end of the bay for post session warm up.

1 -> Josephine Young Memorial park -> Best spot for learning for your wife. It's a slippery mudfest, but safe. Try to time the tides when she can walk around in knee high water.

2 -> LV -> 2nd best spot for your wife to learn. The catchers mit blows you back in safe but there are a ton of kites (and beginners) to contend with. There is some risk of sharp rocks and wildlife but that risk is low. Also, the best place for multiple alternate vacation activities.

3 -> SPI -> Most difficult of the 3 for your wife to learn at. On the shallow side (bay side) it is often offshore wind which can be dangerous for a beginner. Also, quite a bit of wildlife to contend with. Water is not super enjoyable to waddle around in either. However once your wife becomes proficient I would say that El Norte downwinders at SPI are absolutely amazing on the Gulf side. Something to look forward to for future kite vacations.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Sep 19, 18 10:27 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Blazeheliski wrote:
Josephine Young Memorial park just south of Lincoln City in the Siletz Bay. Good on south winds. Shallow water in most areas. The only negative is the mud is super slippery. When I was beginning, I got my first mud kiting experience there. Good year round spot for beginners. Mo's clam chowder at the end of the bay for post session warm up.

1 -> Josephine Young Memorial park -> Best spot for learning for your wife. It's a slippery mudfest, but safe. Try to time the tides when she can walk around in knee high water.

2 -> LV -> 2nd best spot for your wife to learn. The catchers mit blows you back in safe but there are a ton of kites (and beginners) to contend with. There is some risk of sharp rocks and wildlife but that risk is low. Also, the best place for multiple alternate vacation activities.

3 -> SPI -> Most difficult of the 3 for your wife to learn at. On the shallow side (bay side) it is often offshore wind which can be dangerous for a beginner. Also, quite a bit of wildlife to contend with. Water is not super enjoyable to waddle around in either. However once your wife becomes proficient I would say that El Norte downwinders at SPI are absolutely amazing on the Gulf side. Something to look forward to for future kite vacations.

This is all great info. A helpful hint for walking in the slippery mud (whether coast bay mud or Rooster Rock goose poo mud. . . take smaller steps and flex your toes and point them downward (if no booties). Kind of like studs on studded tires.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Oct 05, 18 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

A taste of winter kiting. Although it really isn't that cold out yet. See how the winds ramped up quickly and pretty Strong. Variances actually look pretty tight for South wind. Could and can be much worse.

Tasty 6/7m!

05 Oct 3:00 pm
S
31G37

05 Oct 2:45 pm
S
29G37

05 Oct 2:30 pm
S
26G36

05 Oct 2:15 pm
S
28G33

05 Oct 2:00 pm
SE
13G21

05 Oct 1:45 pm
ESE
11G18

05 Oct 1:30 pm
SE

05 Oct 1:15 pm
SE

05 Oct 1:00 pm
SE
13G17

05 Oct 12:45 pm
SE

05 Oct 12:30 pm
SE
11G17

05 Oct 12:15 pm
ESE

05 Oct 12:00 pm
SE

05 Oct 11:45 am
SE
15G18

05 Oct 11:30 am
ESE
12G17

05 Oct 11:15 am
SE

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostWed Oct 10, 18 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

How about Netarts Bay?
Has anybody kited Netarts Bay in off-season (south winds)? It is a sweet spot in the summer with lots of flat water where a beginner can stay without exposing to the surf. I even once got pushed downwind to the peninsula and just walked back on the sandbar flying my kite.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostWed Oct 10, 18 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

SOme locls also kite in the Tillamook bay, flat water, probably muddy, but better than pounding surf.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed Oct 10, 18 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

lubomm wrote:
How about Netarts Bay?
Has anybody kited Netarts Bay in off-season (south winds)? It is a sweet spot in the summer with lots of flat water where a beginner can stay without exposing to the surf. I even once got pushed downwind to the peninsula and just walked back on the sandbar flying my kite.

Oooh Netarts looks like a pretty sweet spot! I'll have to check it out. I'm guessing best on an incoming tide with south wind?

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostWed Oct 10, 18 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

The summer launch is at Happy Camp Hideaway lot and cruise flat water over the sandbar in north winds. I don't know about south winds, maybe there are other launches in south winds. Maybe at the Schooner restaurant?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Oct 10, 18 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

lubomm wrote:
How about Netarts Bay?

Newbies and beginners be prepared to have your ass handed to you with the tides that run along the north shore of Whiskey Creek aka river/creek mouth aka Happy Camp/Netarts Bay.

And the tides of Whiskey Run creek are something to respect. Very strong currents there; especially on an ebbing tide.

I've never kited Netarts on S or SW wind. I suspect that either south or SW wind is blocked some or a lot in the flat water of the bay which is not the main river channel. Where the south or SW wind will be is on the north end of the bay where the channnel is and where all the recreational boaters set their hundreds of crab traps. Not a good combo for kiting.

Tillamook Bay is muddy and not very good from the few times I've kited in that bay--been there and done that. Never say "never", but I'm pretty sure I'll never kite in Tillamook bay again. I kited down at the end (south end) of the bay. It might be a different story up by Barview, but launches are few and rocky and one will be dealing with huge tides.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Oct 11, 18 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostThu Oct 11, 18 5:59 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
lubomm wrote:
How about Netarts Bay?

Newbies and beginners be prepared to have your ass handed to you with the tides that run along the north shore of Whiskey Creek aka river/creek mouth aka Happy Camp/Netarts Bay.

And the tides of Whiskey Run creek are something to respect. Very strong currents there; especially on an ebbing tide.

I've never kited Netarts on S or SW wind. I suspect that either south or SW wind is blocked some or a lot in the flat water of the bay which is not the main river channel. Where the south or SW wind will be is on the north end of the bay where the channnel is and where all the recreational boaters set their hundreds of crap traps. Not a good combo for kiting.

Tillamook Bay is muddy and not very good from the few times I've kited in that bay--been there and done that. Never say "never", but I'm pretty sure I'll never kite in Tillamook bay again. I kited down at the end (south end) of the bay. It might be a different story up by Barview, but launches are few and rocky and one will be dealing with huge tides.

Ick I take it back, Netarts Bay doesn't sound like a good time at all. The pics looked promising, but yes when it comes to kiting on the coast tides/currents should be taken seriously, especially during fall/winter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: