Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting between Hood River and La Vantana ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostSun Sep 16, 18 4:15 pm    Kiting between Hood River and La Vantana ? Reply with quote

I'll be traveling to L V this fall and was wondering if there is any place along the way we can stop and kite ?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 16, 18 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Sadly NO,

I know it's a little hard to believe looking at the world map. But there is NO KITING between HR and LV.

Mc Shocked

2018-09-16_18-15-09.png 

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 16, 18 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

Sherman island is definitely the place to stop by. Better wind than hood river in my opinion. McLovin, there is tons of great kiting between hood river and LaVentana. The bay area near San Fransisco and Oakland is great too.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 16, 18 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

yes it is a common misconception, but there is really no feasible spot for kiteboarding between HR and LV. I am not a physicist, but it has something to do with the coriolis effect and it is just not possible. I've tried in places where there is enough room to run your lines and pump a kite, but i've lost 3 perfectly good kites, sadly. I won't be trying a 4th time. You have been warned.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 16, 18 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Probably only slightly more than a couple thousand. Tough odds, good luck.👍

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 16, 18 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

Depends on the month, and your luck.
I drive south the day after Christmas every year, and it's pretty dark and cold through the states. For me, the magic pops up just as a come over that last rise in the desert east of Vizcaino... and coming down to your first warm glimpse of the Sea of Cortez near Santa Rosalia.
Whitecaps and a nice solo rigging beach.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 16, 18 11:49 pm     Reply with quote

During one of my drives there was an epic El Norte blowing across the entire Baja Peninsula. But I found no windsurfers or kitesurfers at any other Baja locations on the drive down. And not knowing the language, reefs, currents, no cell reception, kiting alone, etc...etc.. I did not feel the risk was worth it. When I could just use the time to get to LV sooner and start kiting there.

I say just enjoy the epic drive which is super amazing especially the first time down.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 17, 18 4:42 am     Reply with quote

You can find a plethora of route information online, but I would add that after 7 round trip I finally discovered Hwy 5 down the east shore of the Baja Penninsula. If you're not driving a Prius, or not towing something heavy, it's a much more peaceful and beautiful ride. And the Mexicali East border crossing is a breeze. Hwy #5 has an hour of gravel which turns some away from this option.

jlo

Since 07 Aug 2015
43 Posts

PostMon Sep 17, 18 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Every summer I road trip to HR from Southern Arizona. I camp and kite along the way. My way home looks like this. From HR to South Oregon coast-Whiskey Run, Floras Lake or Pistol River. Then to the Bay Area-Waddell Creek, Sherman Island or Crissy Field. Then Jalama Beach in Santa Barbra County. Not sure when your traveling, but these places work for me. Spaced out so if you leave early you can enjoy a session that afternoon. If you take the ferry from Los Mochiis to La Paz, hit San Carlos Sonora on the mainland.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Sep 17, 18 9:21 am     Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
Sadly NO,

I know it's a little hard to believe looking at the world map. But there is NO KITING between HR and LV.

Mc Shocked

Ha ha. Love it. Laughing

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Sep 17, 18 7:04 pm    Go for it. Reply with quote

I drive down in November and Back in April yearly. I kite all the way down and all the way back. On the Sea of Cortez side I kite from San Felipe down - I can't count how many places there are. Just need wind of course. On the Pacific side, there are quite a few spots but you may have spend some time getting there. - Pacific has some pretty good surf too if that's your thing.

Above the border on your way down same thing. Water and wind, go for it.

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: