Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

rent gear in Cabarete?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Sep 04, 18 3:35 pm    rent gear in Cabarete? Reply with quote

Anybody ever rent gear in Cabarete? My family is going in March and flying United to S.F. and American SF to DR. Each airline would charge $300 rt.

So I am planning on renting a surfboard (and maybe kites, too). I might take 1 or 2 kites in a suitcase or I might just rent kites. I can't use my "golf" bag since it exceeds the linear (L+w+h) limitations.

I have a 6-8-10-12 quiver. If I could just bring one kite, should it be the 10m? 2 kites: 8m and 12m?

Thoughts?

w84wind

Since 23 Jan 2007
45 Posts
La Ventana, BCS Mexico

PostTue Sep 04, 18 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

I went in Dec of 2017 and rented from LEK https://laureleastman.com/
They were really flexible on their rentals and only booked the time I was actually on the water at a really great rate. I brought my kites and rented boards, but I would probably not hassle with any of the equipment if I was to go again.
I was on a 9m mostly, with some time on my 11m.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 05, 18 8:01 am    Re: rent gear in Cabarete? Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
Anybody ever rent gear in Cabarete? My family is going in March and flying United to S.F. and American SF to DR. Each airline would charge $300 rt.

So I am planning on renting a surfboard (and maybe kites, too). I might take 1 or 2 kites in a suitcase or I might just rent kites. I can't use my "golf" bag since it exceeds the linear (L+w+h) limitations.

I have a 6-8-10-12 quiver. If I could just bring one kite, should it be the 10m? 2 kites: 8m and 12m?

Thoughts?

I thought a golf back is exempt. So the dimensions do not matter. I would put two clubs in the bag in case they want to check on what is inside. I did this and it saved me in mexico. i had two cleveland bronze wedges in there. they zipped it up and sent me on my way no charge.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 05, 18 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Take your 10 and rent a board..... and different size kite if necessary.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 09, 18 10:03 pm     Reply with quote

I was there in December in 2012. At the time the best rental gear could be found at LEK and Dare2Fly/Vela.

But I ended up renting a 21m flysurfer foil kite from Kitexcite which made my whole trip.

At the time:
Best Accommodations: Kitexcite
Best Food: Extreme Hotel
Best Gear Rental: Dare2Fly/Vela

And all three are adjacent to each other on kite beach so I just drifted between the establishments. Review is a bit dated so many things could be new but it gives you place to start.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Apr 02, 19 10:29 am    TR: Cabarete Reply with quote

I thought some might be interested in an update. Cabarete (we stayed at nearby Kite Beach) had multiple options for rental (boards and kites). I think it was around $75/day for all gear and $35 to rent a board.

We were there for six days (last week of March), but there was only one windy day. I used my 10m that I stuffed in a suitcase and it worked. Nobody used a wetsuit. At Kite Beach there is about 100m flat to the reef where there were 3-6 ft waves. Fun kiting, but very crowded (more than the HR sandbar). Lessons took up the first 25m along the shore, making it challenging to get out. I don't think its a great place for people to learn kiting.

Cabarete (nearby) reef had some shore break, less consistent wind and reef further out. If you have kiting friends on the trip you could organize a downwinder to the surf beach Encuentero and take a motorcycle taxi back to Kite Beach/Cabarete.

For non-wind days you can rent a SUP for some fun waves on the reef. Somehow most of my family got sick (intestinal) during the trip and are still recovering.

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 03, 19 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

Plenty of board rentals. There is plenty of empty water there, everyone Likes to kite in the same area on top of each other, aka kite beach. We stayed at punts goleta, very nice, on the water private condos. The beach is pretty empty there it’s south of kite beach but a bit north of town proper. Downwinders from la boca (river) a el encuentro (surf beach) are not to be missed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: