Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui North shore kiting access/hours/etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 18, 18 10:34 am    Maui North shore kiting access/hours/etc Reply with quote

I’m going to Maui next month for a week and staying near Paia. I’ve been to Maui several times and am aware of 11am start at Kanaha. But the last time I went, I remember seeing/talking to peeps downwinding from Baldwin. Is that still cool? Can I launch anywhere from Baby beach to Baldwin without getting everyone’s panties in a bunch? Can I kite there before 11am? Any problem foiling out of Baldwin? I know. Too many questions. But I figured I’d just throw it out there. I love Maui and just don’t want to cause any problems.

Cheers!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 18, 18 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

http://mauikitesurf.org/

Found the above link with lots of q’s answered. Any kiting before 11am anywhere? And how can you do a downwinders and stay beyond the airport’s no fly zone. Do you really need to be 2 miles out from the runway? Are the outer reefs considered an acceptable distance? I’m not sure I’m gonna like the answer to this...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 18, 18 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

sent you a pm.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 19, 18 5:16 am    Maui Reply with quote

There is no way to launch at Baldwin and avoid the 2 mile zone with the typical wind angle.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Aug 20, 18 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Off topic but i've often wondered why is the FAA rule a huge issue for OGG but not PDX? I'm curious that some of the same flights, pilots are going between the two airports but kites are an issue at one not the other.
I'm not trolling or trying to change anything. I'm sure there is a very good reason just curious if any of the pilot kiters on here know?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 20, 18 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Local Maui legend has it that back in the early days of kiting a kiter lost control of his kite and ejected. The kite blew ashore and up the airport runway.
If you look how jets take off over the water into the wind - it's almost believable.

Kites show up on Radar and could cause confusion with a Air Traffic controller.

I think it's a blanket FAA rule - no kites of any kind within 2 miles of any airport.

Perhaps the Columbia river is far enough below the banks of the river and surrounding land that kites have never blipped up on the radar and thus nobody knows the kites are out there?

They literally fly under the radar?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 20, 18 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe it was Eric Eck's fault?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd8vT1KR4RE

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Aug 21, 18 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

i heard from a local - it was a lone windsurfer - pursued the issue with authorities

no kite blowing across runway...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: