Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Shorten chicken loop, not the chicken loop line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pfchurchill

Since 11 Oct 2016
15 Posts
New Hamsphire

PostThu Aug 16, 18 8:50 pm    Shorten chicken loop, not the chicken loop line Reply with quote

Okay, I am 5' 1" and when kiting, my arms have to be fully extended to be in the sweet spot. This leads to shoulder pain. I have a crazyfly sick bar and a Cabrinha one drive and the only thing I can see to do to bring everything in closer without changing the length of any lines is to physically shorten the polyurethane covered chicken loop. Neither bar offers a smaller chicken loop option, but I can see where I can remove it, cut out a portion of the poly and put an overhand knot or two in the inner rope and put it back in. Other thoughts are to use a rope instead of a hook and thread the chicken loop through the rope. Any other thoughts?

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 16, 18 11:30 pm     Reply with quote

Check out BRM's solution, they completely get rid of the chicken loop and bar hook http://boardridingmaui.com/cloud-connection-system.html.

Most manufactures now offer shorter chicken loop sizes. I use Naish and converted my loops from the 30cm to 25cm loops, helps some. I think I'd like to convert my bar from a hook to a rope attached ring next, brings everything in a few more inches and gets rid of the lever effect on the bar.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostFri Aug 17, 18 5:12 am     Reply with quote

I understand trying to shorten chicken loop, but you say also that you don’t want to shorten lines....why wouldn’t you want to lengthen the backs or shorten the fronts to move the “sweet spot” closer to you?

Most riders follow manufacturers recommendations and hook up lines with the “sweet spot” at arms length, Personally I shorten the fronts and/or lengthen the backs to bring the “sweet spot” to be a couple of inches from the bar.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 17, 18 6:27 am    Lines Reply with quote

West is right. Lengthen the connection points on your outside lines or shorten the middles. That will bring the sweet spot back without the major surgery of dealing with your chicken loop. It sounds like you have plastic shrouded depower lines, North and Slingshot just use sprectra rope and the cleat can be moved toward you - creating more depower ability - which would also serve to solve the problem

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 17, 18 7:31 am    Slingshot Comp Stick Reply with quote

My short - armed wife Very Happy uses the Slingshot Comp stick with the small chicken loop .

https://www.slingshotsports.com/2014-2016-Small-Chicken-Loop

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostFri Aug 17, 18 7:46 am     Reply with quote

i am also bar throw challenged.

just adjusting the lines or increasing the depower range on the bar is fine, I did both of those. but the real problem with both of those solutions is that you have to constantly adjust the trim strap to stay in the sweep spot with changing wind, since you don't have the range of motion on the bar.

this was my progression. ( i will post pics of my set up when i get home)

1: board short harness. get a harness that puts the hook as low as you get.
>> i got dakine nitrous shorts

2: shorten the entire chicken loop assembly as much as you can. with the chicken loops you have, that means the loop. making new dyneema lines for DIY revsions is not so hard. i'm not familiar with the fittings on your loop, but chances are you can hack apart what you have and make your own. Think Slingshot Talon.
>>i started with LF CPR and shortened the chicken loop. Then i did a complete rework and changed how the entire thing attached to the spreader.

3: get rid of the hook on your spreader. ropes in general are the way to go, but for short arms, they also all the check loop to slide to your hips, which also limits bar throw as they slide off center, espeically riding toe side down wind. try to limit the amount the chicken loop can move side to side on the rope.
>> i highly modified a dakine pivoting hammerhead spreader. which IMO is nicer than using a rope, for me, because it keeps the attachment closer to my body, but still allows pivoting, and a little sliding.

the end result is awesome. i can set my trim and ride entire sessions at the hood river sandbar without changing it. i can get thru the lulls with the bar close, and still make it thru the gusts without being over powered.

if it were me and i had some money to spend, i would first get a dakine nitrous shorts, then retro fit one of your bars with a slingshot sentinel chichen, which they sell as a replacement + talon. you can buy all the parts you need thru windance. then get a rope spreader, and see how it goes. limit the side to side on the rope if you feel the need.

if you are a more DIY type, don't be shy, tear into it and have fun. but ideally have a back out plan in case what you do doesn't work.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 17, 18 8:01 am     Reply with quote

You might want to try one of the board shorts harnesses like the Ion or Dakine.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 17, 18 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Some bars, though apparently not yours, come with chicken loop options. I taught kids to kite for years, and used the Slingshot system. It takes 60 seconds to swap out the loop. Works great.

At 5'1" you may also want to adjust your trim. If your lines have multiple knots, connect such that the rears are longer than the fronts. Try 1" at a time until it feels right.

If you ride swell mostly, vs wakestyle, consider a sliding rope harness too. Not only does this pull the bar in about 2", you also avoid the hip strain of riding toe-side. Slingshot makes a connection--Talon--specifically for ropes too. And again, it's a one minute swap out.

In the end, consider a bar that allows you to change how you hook in easily. Lots of used bars out there. I am not sure which manufacturers allow you to easily change all of this besides Slingshot, but I am sure several do. That said, with Slingshot you need one allen key and 60 seconds.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-44635.html

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-44622.html

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-44623.html

Eric

Last edited by eric on Fri Aug 17, 18 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 17, 18 10:49 am    Depower Range - custom chicken loop, hook placement Reply with quote

To bring the "sweet spot" closer to you instead of " arms fully extended" you need to reduce wasted (or waisted) space between the bar and your belly button.

To do this and to allow for maximum arm throw (de-power) I did three things.

#1. Keep your hook very low on your body. Use harness shorts or seat harness. Make sure the hook can not pull away/far forward (anterior) or upwards from you pelvis.

#2. Switch to a TIGHT slider rope instead of a fixed hook.

#3. Switch to a small chicken loop or similar aftermarket bar accessory. Notice that modern chicken loops are stiff molded plastic. They do not distort or elongate under loads so they in effect are "smaller".

Custom Reduction of the length of a chicken loop:
Six years ago before small chicken loops I did this to a Naish chicken loop. It was made from braided line covered with a urethane tube. Basically, I cut both the line back and the cover tube. I then stitched and super glued the (now shortened) stitched end of the chicken loop. I then re-threaded the shortened urethane cover.

See photo: The black colored micro loop is my custom retro-fit.

IMG_0515 (Large) (Medium).JPG 

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 17, 18 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I am not sure which manufactures allow you to easily change all of this besides Slingshot, but I am sure several do. That said, with Slingshot you need one allen key and 60 seconds.
Yup, same with the North slider rope chicken loop - works great!!

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostFri Aug 17, 18 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

what Kmun said.

here is a pic of my set up. fully sheeted in, I can put the bar at my belly button.

IMG_20180817_181329705_LL.jpg 

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 19, 18 8:59 am     Reply with quote

I use the Slingshot chicken ball to limit the throw on my chicken line. Probably the cheapest option, can be adjusted until you find the right length, and should work with your existing bars. As others have mentioned, a small chicken loop helps if you need to be able to sheet in more; I run the small Slingshot chicken loop.

http://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp?prod=slingshot_power_ball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: