Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge lesson recommendations?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostSun Aug 05, 18 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

It's been said but I'll add another vote for Cascade Kiteboarding in Hood River. Why?

1. Jetski assisted, but also two-way radios. No matter how far you get from your instructor they are still right in your ear with feedback, rather than yelling from afar. Helps you progress much faster.

2. Lessons are mainly held upwind of Wells Island, it's still shallow enough to stand but you avoid all the crowds at the sandbar.

3. Every lesson ended with a deep-water self-rescue. INVALUABLE. I had to self-rescue yesterday after a foul hook and even though it had been longer than I'd care to admit since I'd practiced it, I still handled it well and kept calm. That only comes with practice.

That and they're major supporters of Kiteboard 4 Cancer (their owner is the founder of the event) so good karma points all around.

Enjoy!

Also, one comment above on boards about "the bigger the better" and I'll add a word of caution there. It's true that some learning is better on bigger boards but if you go too big, the Gorge winds will make you pay for it. Ask for advice on a board for your size for Gorge winds, as it may be different than at non-Gorge sites. I went with the "bigger the better" philosophy and ended up with a great board for winds up to 18mph or so, but after that it was too much to handle.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 06, 18 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

Just one parting thought on the lesson thread...

Not sure how much it matters which of the various professionals or locations one chooses...rather it IS very important to pick one of them.

My path has included a combination. Got going with Cascade great experience all around, spent time at Floras which was invaluable and also more recently opened my eyes to Jones and other spots near sandbars. Impossible to say which is best vs. each other but it's VERY EASY to say any and all of them are imperative to getting started.

What has been most impressive in my short learning phase has been the amazingly positive, helpful and welcoming guidance of the entire kiting community. I seem to pick up several gems every time I get on the water.

So a BIG THANK YOU to those of you who are keeping the positive stoke alive and welcoming us newcomers to this great sport. Alternatively, to those few of you who even I can tell haven't been thru a proper training (P.S. if I can spot dangerous behavior - that's NOT good) consider one of the many great opportunities listed in this thread to get some basic training and we will ALL be THANKFUL, especially those of us downwind Shocked

Mc

Floras Avatar.jpg 

Wadeswrld

Since 18 Aug 2018
10 Posts
Scappoose

PostSat Aug 25, 18 9:57 am     Reply with quote

roflpwnz wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm trying to convince a buddy to go with me, and while I'm working on that I think I'm going to get a harness to play around with; maybe throw a loop on the bar of my trainer kite and play around with being hooked in and then I'll have something that fits for the lessons too. Thanks again for the tips and recommendations!

Tip on “buddy” ... Don’t waste your money on “bring a friend” lessons. Do privates.
My wife and I made this mistake on our first lesson and got nowhere fast. It is almost the same price and you get Half the instruction.

We have had Great lessons with Kite the Gorge. Carlos runs a great program and got us both up and riding in two 2.5 hour individual lessons. Well worth the money. Don’t get them confused with Gorgekite. “Not the same experience”

I think any instructor that tells you they will have you up and riding in one lesson is full of crap. It might happen once in a GREAT while but not likely.

Best of luck to you and hope you love the sport as much as we do already!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 25, 18 10:02 am     Reply with quote

<I think any instructor that tells you they will have you up and riding in one lesson is full of crap>

Many students do, in fact, get up in one lesson. Many variables, but very common.

Eric

edcinfg

Since 17 Aug 2015
34 Posts
United States

PostMon Aug 27, 18 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Go with SA Kitesurf ! Check google they are the top !~

GorgeKite.com

Since 17 Mar 2008
225 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Aug 28, 18 8:23 am    Kite lessons Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got up on the board in your third lesson Wade!

Buddy lessons may not be for you. But, "Bring a friend" lessons are offered by many local kite schools. Many people find it is more fun to take the first lesson with a friend or partner. The Stoke factor grows with more bros/gals!

Kiteboarding is a compex sport there are lots of technical and saftey aspects you learn in that first Lesson, buddy or private. Private lessons are for people who don't want to take turns or learn from each other. Get a lesson. Go kite. Be safe. Have fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: