Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Pistol River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MattWave

Since 05 Mar 2018
16 Posts

PostSat Aug 04, 18 5:22 pm    Pistol River Reply with quote

Anybody have any beta on kiting at Pistol River? I know this is mostly a wave spot but Is there flat water areas within the river?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 04, 18 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

Just north is Floras Lake. Flatwater galore.
www.Purestokesports.com

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 05, 18 4:08 am    Pepi is correct. Reply with quote

Seems to me it was a little further south than 45 min. Have been wrong on most things Smile

Last edited by Justsmile on Sun Aug 05, 18 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 05, 18 8:26 am    Floras Reply with quote

Maybe one should READ. Pepi said north of pistol. Last time I checked floras lake is 45 minutes north of pistol

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Aug 05, 18 10:11 am    Re: Pistol River Reply with quote

MattWave wrote:
Anybody have any beta on kiting at Pistol River? I know this is mostly a wave spot but Is there flat water areas within the river?

On a high tide you might score flat water. If you are looking for flat water go to "the ponds" at Jones. There are a few spots in the Gorge as well. Or perhaps the rare windy day at the Necanicum River mouth; acres upon acres of flats there at high tide.

https://vimeo.com/2653992

An oldie but a goodie vid. See vid min 3:46 to 4:01 for Pistol flat water session (slim pickings and line to shred on)

Lots of secret spots I know about up and down the coast, but one needs to invest sometime and effort in order to be rewarded.
Try the the northern mouth of the Columbia near Ilwaco on a N/NW wind day. Lots of potential up there. Seach this forum for more info and or PM scottnorby.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Aug 06, 18 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSun Aug 05, 18 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

A fair amount of southern coast small tributaries sand-in and are disconnected (surface connection) from the ocean once their flows dip below a certain threshold. And once every blue moon the set up is amaze balls. Like this year Twisted Evil

Just park down on the pull out north of the bridge over Pistol river and have at it while the getting is good. You can get several kites in there right now with butter on the north side. I would say it’s the most legit setup I’ve seen in the last 10 years.

I’ve been kiting the Rogue river lately up in the rec section below Agness. Pretty awesome not having to wear the 5/4. Helps to have an aluminum hull RIB with a jet. Thumb's Up

8CFE4FC4-813E-4CF6-A9CC-328FC03F16DD.jpeg 
   5210EE3A-61CE-4B20-8A0E-F38273CF12DD.jpeg 

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSun Aug 05, 18 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

Rogue

6AE6FE91-4BC0-401B-93B8-A3EB034D8EF6.jpeg 
   4B3D0AB6-3AFD-4BD0-AC71-1ACF9B1DC4F5.jpeg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 05, 18 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Awesome!!

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSun Aug 05, 18 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

Don’t be fooled by my photo of the lagoon at Pistol. It blows small kites there on a regular basis. Watch your landing zones when boosting big. Scout around the pond before you pop to the stratosphere. Ocean is always good for some ramps. Bring your surfboard and hop over the dune and kite a mile up to The Rock. Plenty of good waves between there and the lagoon. You can then rinse off the salt in the lagoon get in your wind chasing jalopy and proceed to Arch Rock brewery and The Hunter Creek Tav for sustenance.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Aug 05, 18 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

I kite Pistol river quite often. Always on a 5m or 7m kite. The lagoon in front of the bridge is nice and fairly flat. The "river" channel gets narrow as you go north but is fun to play in. It's just a board ride cross the sand into some crushing waves. About a mile north you will see a few kites but mostly wind surfers at the beach launch.

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: