Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

my new poject : iGetwind.com
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 01, 18 10:37 pm    igetwind Reply with quote

Amazing work and such IRONIC timing less than 48 hours after I made a donation for my annual iKitesurf wind app...more is better but gotta laugh at my timing ;(

Embarassed

Nevo

PostThu Aug 02, 18 6:16 am     Reply with quote

I'm on a mac with firefox and loaded up your page. I gave up on it really quickly.

I tried to click on any of the local spots and kept getting "Sign up for a membership unless 2 spots is enough"

I didn't pick two spots but it auto set one for the city of Portland, OR and one for in the woods near Mt. Hood? Every time I tried to scroll the map or zoom in/out it would jump to another part of the world. Imagine looking at Hood River, click to zoom in, now I'm in London?

I'm definitely not a tech guy in any way so it's possible that it's an issue on my end. I just couldn't get any pertinent info easily and am not one to just sign up for accounts to get basic access. I'll try again a few times over the next few days to see if anything is different.

laf1greg

Since 02 Jun 2018
11 Posts

PostThu Aug 02, 18 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Amazing work and such IRONIC timing less than 48 hours after I made a donation for my annual iKitesurf wind app...more is better but gotta laugh at my timing ;(

Thanks! Well ikitesurf is still very userful for their wind meters network.

Quote:
I didn't pick two spots but it auto set one for the city of Portland, OR and one for in the woods near Mt. Hood?

Maybe you accidentally clicked on these 2 places on the map ? You can remove them and put 2 new ones. Click on the square on the right side of the spot name and then click remove. Let me know if problem persists.

Regarding membership, I made it mandatory after 2 forecast spots so it makes things easier on my servers (which are not free). Igetwind is a free service.

laf1greg

Since 02 Jun 2018
11 Posts

PostWed Jul 10, 19 4:58 am     Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've work all winter on https://igetwind.com and it's better than ever!

I made it faster and I added different new features like kite size recommendation. Check it out and let me know what you think: https://igetwind.com

Last edited by laf1greg on Wed Jul 10, 19 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostWed Jul 10, 19 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Just want you to know I am a big fan of your sight and its my go to page for getting a good overview of everything in one page. Thanks! Very Happy

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 10, 19 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

site looks great man. thx for sharing

BrentB

Since 15 Aug 2015
9 Posts
Portlandia
Kook

PostThu Jul 11, 19 1:03 pm    Dito Hatchetthrower Reply with quote

tagging on with the appreciation.

The ability to compare several spots with all the useful info on one screen makes igetwind the first site I check when work slows down.

Thanks for putting those skills to work and helping me get to the right spot more often!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 11, 19 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

Looks great, works well, love it.
The kite sizing for the Gorge is way off but otherwise really nice.

laf1greg

Since 02 Jun 2018
11 Posts

PostThu Jul 18, 19 6:17 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your feedback. Really appreciated!

Quote:

I'm working on a new feature to "adjust" kite size for different rider size.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 18, 19 7:51 am     Reply with quote

laf1greg wrote:

Quote:

Speculation here, but I suspect that the kite sizing issue you're website is having an issue with is also a function of opposing current (with west wind, anywhere, but in particular here in the gorge/on the Columbia river. Conversely, east winds have the opposite effect).

This also transpires out in the ocean. . . sometimes there is lots of current going on and other times not as much.

However you end up fine tuning your prediction software, I still think one needs to evaluate it with the human eye before going on the water.

Thank you for what you are doing and your efforts. Cool stuff!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 18, 19 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
laf1greg wrote:

Quote:

Speculation here, but I suspect that the kite sizing issue you're website is having an issue with is also a function of opposing current (with west wind, anywhere, but in particular here in the gorge/on the Columbia river. Conversely, east winds have the opposite effect).

This also transpires out in the ocean. . . sometimes there is lots of current going on and other times not as much.

However you end up fine tuning your prediction software, I still think one needs to evaluate it with the human eye before going on the water.

I would prefer the kite size was just left off. It will never be accurate and just takes up space.

For starters averages are always going to be low. As kiters we look at gusts and lulls. But forecasts (Human or Computer) are all about averages. The longer the time spread the lower averages will be. A forecast that utilizes one hour increments will have higher numbers than a forecast that utilizes 3 hour or 6 hour increments.

My recommendation. Learn how to read the forecast of your choice.

When looking at long range GFS it is more about wind direction and magnitude. This answers two questions: What days will I kite? Where will I likely be kiting at? GFS forecasts are almost always low relative to actual wind. Picking an actual kite choice off the GFS model would be a poor choice.

Short term HRW and NAM provide you a couple days of visibility. They tend to be more accurate than GFS. They will also usually have higher numbers than GFS. If HRW and NAM don't match you might want to consider the likeliness that forecasts have a higher level of uncertainty.

MICRO HRRR (and WRF which is not on igetwind) are in my opinion the best models to look at just before you head out. However they are still averages. One key component I look at is the gap between wind average and gusts. This provides me some insight in terms of how gusty the wind will likely be. I often choose a different kite based upon this fact.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 18, 19 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Ohh, and I should mention... I very much appreciate your site. Thank you for all your hard work.

I should also mention that I originally ran your site using an add blocker (default settings for my web browser). I had to manually exclude your site from my adblocking.

Anyone else out there who appreciates this site be sure to turn off your ad blockers!!!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 19, 19 6:28 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Ohh, and I should mention... I very much appreciate your site. Thank you for all your hard work.

I should also mention that I originally ran your site using an add blocker (default settings for my web browser). I had to manually exclude your site from my adblocking.

Anyone else out there who appreciates this site be sure to turn off your ad blockers!!!

this is why i love NWKite. Phil actively refused to make it less cool by putting ads on it.

laf1greg

Since 02 Jun 2018
11 Posts

PostThu Aug 01, 19 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the support bigjohn. Really appreciated. Indeed running the servers to extract all the data (100gig/day) costs money so all the google ads on igetwind exists for that reason.

Quote:
I would prefer the kite size was just left off. It will never be accurate and just takes up space.

You can disable it in the settings.

Quote:
Speculation here, but I suspect that the kite sizing issue you're website is having an issue with is also a function of opposing current

The kite size feature is there only for a rough idea.

Quote:

Thanks! Smile

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 01, 19 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

laf1greg wrote:

Quote:

You can disable it in the settings.

Fantastic customer response!!! Thank you for listening.

I was kind of hoping that perhaps with the extra space I would now be able to add 10 locations again in my profile. It's funny how in dropping those two spots it seems like I lost a lot of visibility.

Eight is great. Ten is even greater!!!

laf1greg

Since 02 Jun 2018
11 Posts

PostMon Aug 03, 20 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

Lots of work since 2 years, igetwind is better than ever!!

laf1greg

Since 02 Jun 2018
11 Posts

PostMon May 30, 22 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Hi guys,

new for 2022 you can now put "reatime wind" graph in your list of spots. You can choose from 40K wind stations worldwide (thanks NOAA).

Have a good wind season!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: