Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Join the CGKA ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 18 9:44 am    Join the CGKA ??? Reply with quote

To whom it may concern - http://www.gorgekiter.com/join does not work (as of this post).

Instead, I'm seeing "This site can’t be reached".

I've tried with Firefox,Chrome & Opera browsers.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 23, 18 10:00 am     Reply with quote

try this - https://cgka.wordpress.com/become-a-member/

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 18 10:11 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
try this - https://cgka.wordpress.com/become-a-member/
Thx! Yes, that works - but that is not the link provided on the 'Join the CGKA' page!! Webmaster needs to update!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 23, 18 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hmm the CGKA forum looks pretty outdated!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 27, 18 12:26 am    CGKA Newbie Reply with quote

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 27, 18 12:34 am    Re: CGKA Newbie Reply with quote

Small Avatar copy.gif 

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 27, 18 9:27 am     Reply with quote

I joined, now what? Welcome email, party, sticker? Kick in the ass???

coup

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 27, 18 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

Still no update to the 'Join the CGKA' page. Bad link when clicking to join. Good luck CGKA getting any new members!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 29, 18 12:36 am    CGKA Newbie Reply with quote

It worked for me - albeit without a welcome wagon...

MC

Floras Avatar.jpg 
   2018-07-29_01-30-27.png 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 29, 18 5:28 am     Reply with quote

Where can I find a definitive explanation of what exactly CGKA is doing these days beyond funding a few BBQ and beer evenings? Not trying to be snarky... but when I check the site it looks ancient. The "events" page news is 2011? The calendar is blank. Board meeting?
Wishlist:
1) Continue to push for more acreage at the E Site
2) Lyle

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 30, 18 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Where can I find a definitive explanation of what exactly CGKA is doing these days beyond funding a few BBQ and beer evenings? Not trying to be snarky... but when I check the site it looks ancient. The "events" page news is 2011? The calendar is blank. Board meeting?
Wishlist:
1) Continue to push for more acreage at the E Site
2) Lyle

+1 for this

Looks like someone started this process back in 2011 if you follow the "working" link provided.

Additionally I think that virtual access to any meetings would be most beneficial towards growing membership dollars as well as volunteerism.

cgka.png 

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 30, 18 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry for not having anything spectacular on our website.

We are only a volunteer organization with no staff, exec dir or webmaster currently to manage any of these things for us.

Most of us have full time jobs and families, so our personal time we put in to CGKA pretty much takes up all of our available time (so, without a web guy, we have no resources).

What we do :
The current Board of Directors is made up of volunteers who take responsibility for certain launch areas (West/Stevenson area, Viento, Hood River, Washington (white salmon/lyle side) and Far East. Primarily we spend a lot of our time with Event Site/Sandbar access maintenance with the Port (keep the peace and keeping the access open at the Beach during off season, via negotiating with the Port and discussions with CGWA).
When occasions come up, meeting with land owner/authority figures during times of launch access issues, or opportunities.
Lately our representatives have been working with CGWA and Oregon State Parks on Viento & Rowena launches, and Gorge Commission/Railroad/WSDOT for White Salmon Launch.
Some of our volunteers are helpful locals who arrive on the scene in times of need when/where the CGKA may have either been overlooked or almost missed out on opportunities (BTW - Shout out -Thank you to Cody for his help on the Rowena mission this Spring).

We have been lately courting some ideas with the CGWA (Windsurfing Assoc) about reformulating our organizations to fulfill a greater cause/objective as an all encompassing Watersports Association.
This has not been decided, but is somewhat in a 'dating' phase to see if there are enough commonalities that would make this work well for all water users in our area.

Part of these discussions have also incorporated ideas to be a bit more networked with our bretheren at PSKite in Seattle, and further up north with the Squamish Windsports Society.

We also worked on developing some funds for supporting the idea of a youth kiting/coaching program with the help of Colleen Carroll who hosted a movie premiere/fundraiser with us last Fall.
Membership funds go into covering liability insurance (an american necessity) and a minor bank fund for supporting events and emergency beach clean up or access needs.

In a nutshell, we are doing things. Maybe nothing glamorous or eventful to see on the social media radar, but just trying to our best in supporting local kiteboarding needs and necessities.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 30, 18 4:23 pm    Re: CGKA Newbie Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
It worked for me - albeit without a welcome wagon...

MC
No. If you click CGKA -> Join the CGKA - at the bottom of that page is this:

[b:13763ca0d3]The CGKA is your advocate for Kiteboarding in the Gorge! [i:13763ca0d3] Join now: [/i:13763ca0d3]GorgeKiter.com/join[/b:13763ca0d3]

Click on the GorgeKiter.com/join link and see what you get.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 30, 18 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

cgka wrote:
Sorry for not having anything spectacular on our website.

We are only a volunteer organization with no staff, exec dir or webmaster currently to manage any of these things for us.

No intended disrespect towards the hard work of all the volunteers that have put forth considerable efforts towards the CGKA. In fact quite the opposite. I am a supporter of the many accomplishments.

However it appears to me that there are opportunities for improvement. Perhaps rather than the board being responsible for performing all the work they could develop communications with their members (and perspective members) such that others could become more involved.

Perhaps subcommittees could be developed that could focus on the issues at hand.

Is a prioritized list of goals such a crazy idea?

The screenshot I previously presented showed that there is a basic wordpress website currently in place that could be utilized as a communications tool. Is the issue that no one knows how to update the site, or rather that there is nothing to update?

My guess is if you were to ask for help you would find many willing to contribute...

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 30, 18 10:05 pm    CGKA Reply with quote

What goals does the CGKA have for this year or what projects are ready to be tackled? I live further out east and would love to help spearhead a project or something for Roosevelt. Just need to know who to talk to and what my limits are.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 31, 18 7:33 am     Reply with quote

Interesting post from 2008...

What happened to all the enthusiasm?

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-7611.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: