Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

You forgot to extinguish your fire at Lyle on Saturday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Peterpiper

Since 02 Jul 2018
2 Posts

PostMon Jul 02, 18 11:34 am    You forgot to extinguish your fire at Lyle on Saturday. Reply with quote

You were in the large group near the big log next to the railroad. You probably tried to bury your fire; but on Sunday when I came back around 9, the ground was scorched in about a 10 ft area. When winds picked up, so did the burn. It took the FD 2 hrs to fully contain the area.

Just a reminder to either not start fires in burn ban areas and to extinguish fully with water before leaving.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 05, 18 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Burying fires is not a good way to extinguish in wind prone areas either. Buried coals can keep for 8+ hours and revive in to flame once blown on.

lldkr

Since 01 Jun 2012
47 Posts

PostThu Jul 05, 18 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

holyshit the whole area is a tinder box. burn bans around here are f'ing serious, it doesn't matter if youre next to a river. embers!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 06, 18 1:07 am     Reply with quote

Big thanks to PeterPiper and the Lyle Fire Department.

Not everyone understands the dangers of fire throughout this region.

Between dry ground and high winds fires spread rapidly throughout the gorge.

The Eagle creek fire last year taught us just how much damage can be caused by a little recklessness. 50,000 acres later... 36 million dollars was the perpetrator's liabilities. Reality is, financial costs to the entire region were much much higher.

Check if burning is allowed with the local fire department. If it's not allowed, don't be a jerk. It's just not worth the risk!!!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 06, 18 7:54 am     Reply with quote

I was saddened to see the the remains of fireworks at the Wunderbar yesterday. How soon these idiots forget that the Eagle Creek fire disaster was started by an errant individual with no common sense. There is a burn ban in effect so police these irresponsible people if you see campfires or fireworks this summer. Fire loves to travel uphill, so White Salmon or Underwood could be ashes in hours!

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostFri Jul 06, 18 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

Where else are people supposed to enjoy the fireworks they bought at the Bridge of the Gods stand?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 06, 18 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

Memaloose, it’s already on fire.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jul 08, 18 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

I just got into town. I was delayer 4 days fighting the Lake Christine fire in Basalt CO.
Don't be an idiot. No fires should be lit anywhere. We had level two fire restrictions and some idiots went out to the gun range and used tracer rounds.
6000 acres burnt, hundreds of homes evacuated. Downtown Basalt was almost burnt to the ground.

This plane saved the day, making numerous drops. I was doing a water shuttle when this guy snuck up on me. D.C. 10

https://youtu.be/jcc-EUo6lfA

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jul 09, 18 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Not burying fires goes for the coast as well. Assuming you're far from the beach grass, just let it burn out. Less coal all over the place and nobody's going to step on it and burn themselves. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: