Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

iwasphotographed aka Zodiakman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mlander

Since 06 Oct 2010
32 Posts
Mosier, Or

PostFri Jun 29, 18 3:32 pm    iwasphotographed aka Zodiakman Reply with quote

The whole story regarding IWasPhotographed aka "ZodiakMan". Yesterday at Rufus and the day before at the Hatchery he was operating the Zodiac in, what can most certainly be called, an unsafe, reckless manner.

Yesterday, Rufus was epic...huge swell and 30+MPH winds. He showed up in the afternoon and was taking pictures of the many windsurfers and kite-boarders. A bit later the wind picked up and a number of people headed in. I guess he must have thought that taking pictures of those remaining people wasn't worth it because he began catching swell by zooming up the front side of the wave, then executing a quick 90-degree turn while gunning his engine down the wave. He was doing all of this in the midst kite-boarders and windsurfers trying to enjoy the same swell. He undoubtedly thought it was harmless fun, but it's a large boat with a powerful dangerous engine that has a potentially deadly propeller. He also sits low in his boat and there is no way from that vantage point he could see someone in the trough of a downwind swell.

The day before my brother and I sailed up to the hatchery from the event site and witnessed this crazy behavior for the first time. It was uncrowded and he was catching swell right next to the Washington shore, just downwind from kook cove. He made it impossible to get anywhere near him. So we were excluded from a large swell area.

His motorboat play was dangerous and it's really lucky that he didn't kill a kite-boarder, windsurfer, Sup'er, or kayaker. Since no one was hurt during his capsize, I'm actually glad that he rolled his boat because this should put an end to his antics.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSun Jul 01, 18 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Has nothing to do with his driving skill. Most of you don't even know what went down.
Last edited by Kraemer on Tue Jul 10, 18 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 01, 18 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Grant Myrdal has nothing to do with this - he's not involved with the boat or the business.

In my opinion - the guy who drives the Zodiac gets a free pass to do whatever he wants - he's rescued a couple dozen kiters.... including myself a few weeks ago.

The river is a public right of way and kiter or anyone else do not have any rights for exclusive use.

Kite, windsurf, kayak, sup, jet ski, outrigger, sail boat, stern wheeler, zodiaks, fishermen - we all have equal rights.

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 01, 18 9:41 am     Reply with quote

If you substitute kiter for zodiac in this post, you obtain the perspective of any non kiter using the river near kiters. The argument could be made that an out of control kite is just as dangerous as a zodiac-both have caused loss of limb and life before. Most bystanders likely view both his behavior and ours as crazy and dangerous antics.

Just because it may look dangerous to you does not mean that this is in fact the case. Given the number of days that I have seen him out in his zodiac in high wind/high swell conditions I think that he is likely fairly competent at maneuvering and controlling his craft. I have never witnessed or heard of him injuring an kiter and as others have stated have seen him help out kiters in distress on many occasions.

It's important to remember that no one (including us) has a right to any particular stretch of river. We all have yard sales from time to time and rather than rejoicing in his capsize event, maybe you could have offered a helping hand in recovering his gear as he has done in the past for other kiters.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 01, 18 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

In my opinion - the guy who drives the Zodiac gets a free pass to do whatever he wants - he's rescued a couple dozen kiters.... including myself a few weeks ago.

+1

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 01, 18 8:55 pm    +1 Reply with quote

+1
ldhr wrote:

The river is a public right of way and kiter or anyone else do not have any rights for exclusive use.

Kite, windsurf, kayak, sup, jet ski, outrigger, sail boat, stern wheeler, zodiaks, fishermen - we all have equal rights.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostMon Jul 02, 18 6:54 am     Reply with quote

I have seen him rip around, just having fun. I highly doubt he would put anyone in danger, funny post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: