Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

GoPro Hero 6, housing required?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostWed May 30, 18 12:38 pm    GoPro Hero 6, housing required? Reply with quote

The newer GoPros (maybe the old too) are 10m water resistant rated. Do people find that's adequate for kiting, or do I need a housing?

I'll probably also get a remote. Any other particularly useful accessories? I'll probably try helmet and stick mounts.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed May 30, 18 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

unless you go for a 11m dive (honestly didnt go a foot under 10m)

then a crack in the front facing LCD might appear and this could be your last shot - before the gopro dies - a good one of bumpy the Dugong - he likes to sneak up on ya and bash ya - crusty vegan type

and they sell a $55 waterhousing if you plan to go deeper or like to drag everything thru the sand

bumpy.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostWed May 30, 18 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

It's commonly thought that 10m resistance isn't enough for watches when you might be impacting the water surface at speed, so I was wondering if people have had trouble with the GoPros when crashing.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 31, 18 9:24 am     Reply with quote

So far so good with my Hero 5 Session and I think it's only rated to 3m. I asked the same question on kiteforum and nobody else reported any issues.

I do have the floaty on it though which protects the SD door, but didn't for the first while.

I've put about 25 sessions on it so far, mostly kite and a few surf.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 01, 18 7:14 am     Reply with quote

for kiting I think you're fine. I have used the hero5 for mouth style mount, kitelines, strut mount, and selfie stick and immersion has not been an issue
the biggest problems with gopros and waterhousings is they tend to always fog over the lens. having no housing has made this a non issue now.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 18 6:34 am     Reply with quote

For most kiting I think you are fine.

It's kind of sh*tty of them because they made the camera pseudo waterproof, but they made it a lot bigger than the 4. So if you put a waterproof housing on the thing you now have a new camera quite a bit bigger than the older models.

I did have it on the nose of a SUP when I was surfing (or trying to) one time. Any time I wrecked the GoPro of course took a rush of water at it. That seemed to compromise things and it killed the GoPro. I'm not 100% sure when the problem started, so I would just say to make sure the two doors (battery and charge) are closed snug and there is no sand on the little gasket. Maybe there is a petroleum jelly or something we should put on those as well.

Also, your new waterproof camera is NOT warrantied for water damage. I found this odd when I called up to ask about service. However, when you raise the silliness of this issue ("I bought it so I could use it in the water?") they do note they'll give you a one-time camera replacement. No warranty then offered with the replacement camera. So, you get one pass to get it right. Wink

The remote is great. Specially for line or kite mount. Keeps your footage to a minimum and preserves your battery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: