Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jones beach
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostMon May 21, 18 10:04 am    Jones beach Reply with quote

What Is Jones water level? Is there exposed beach area to rig/launch? Thanx

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon May 21, 18 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Pretty much always beach at Jones. It is a dredge pile much higher than the river level. It's big too. You could have lots of kiters flying trainers on the beach and they would never get in each others way.

But mind the tides. Tidal reversal of the river flow catches many kiters off guard even when they are aware of them. And the wind on the OR side sucks, but is great experience for someone learning to deal with gusts and holes.

Still, Jones is the best place to learn for keeping you and your kite in (mostly) one piece.

Last edited by Matt V on Mon May 21, 18 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 21, 18 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Unless you hear that the town of Clatskanie is underwater, its safe to assume that Jones Beach has miles of space to rig & launch.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon May 21, 18 11:56 am     Reply with quote

Both wind and chop on OR side sucks, but WA side and the ponds are magic! Just don't get stuck there.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed May 30, 18 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Jones is ok for beginners yet? I just finished 4 lessons with Kite the Gorge and am up and riding and very eager to get out and practice while everything is fresh. Obviously the Event Site is out due to the current and lack of sandbar. My guess is that the current is an issue at Jones Beach as well?

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 18 11:06 am     Reply with quote

Current can be an issue at Jones for losing your board when there is a strong outgoing tide. An incoming tide lessens the effect, sometimes neutralizing the river current or even reversing it, though maybe not at this time of year. Other than that, Jones is great for having plenty of space to take advantage of. If you stay close to the shore line, and don't take too many chances, you should be able to do downwind runs and then walk your kite back up the beach as needed. Watch out for other kiters, fishermen & fishing lines along the shore, and don't count on someone getting your board for you if you fall off and lose it (write your name and number on it). If you can't beat the current body dragging and your board seems to be getting away from you, its often easier to go in and then walk your kite up the shoreline while keeping an eye your board. When you're a good ways upwind of it, body drag out to it. Keep in mind that this is easier the closer to shore you are, and also assumes you have a shoreline free of impediments like other kiters, fishermen & fishing lines, and people just hanging out, all of which may be present and demand good kite control to get around safely. Make sure you know how to self-rescue. The shipping lane is closer to the Oregon (Jones Beach) shoreline. Keep an eye out for shipping traffic, and go in to shore while they pass if you're not comfortable kiting on the far side.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed May 30, 18 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info! Self rescue was one of the first things I learned but I'm probably going to practice it a few more times on my own just to be extra sure I've got it down. Is there an online resource kiters generally use for checking the tides? I'd feel much safer out there if I knew the tide was coming in.

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostWed May 30, 18 4:54 pm    JB video n fotos Reply with quote

I have fotos and a video of JB on 5/26, Memorial Day weekend 2018. PM me and I'll send them. I'm new to this forum and the video didn't cross over. It also wanted me to resize all the fotos with Pixlr n I don't have an acct or the time. Or maybe I'm missing something??

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 30, 18 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

you can resize your photos with any software.

http://nwkite.com/forums/attach_rules.php?f=1

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 30, 18 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm that there is no more camping at Clatskanie City Park? I heard this from a friend and the town website won't explain.

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostThu May 31, 18 4:43 am    No Camping at Clatskanie City Park Reply with quote

I can confirm that it is true. They have a sign taped to the electric pole near the bathrooms at the gravel lot. No RVs or tent camping (or some such). I stopped by the Tourist Info place at the hotel and the ladies said that people weren't cleaning up after themselves, etc. There is a small RV lot with a dozen spaces or so right near the hotel. I didn't ask the price. There is also another one about 2 miles down a side road. And the ladies said you can camp in Rainier. Big bummer that you can't boondock at the beach! I wonder if you were a fisherman, you could drive your 4x4 down to the shore, throw out a line and spend the night. That way, you're fishing, not camping Cool

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 31, 18 4:57 am     Reply with quote

Bummer. I so enjoyed my weekends in downtown Clats. A nice meal at Humps, wake up and walk to espresso and breakfast, then see the trees start to move.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu May 31, 18 5:27 am    Re: No Camping at Clatskanie City Park Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
I stopped by the Tourist Info place at the hotel and the ladies said that people weren't cleaning up after themselves, etc.

"...etc" - I hope it is nothing other than the locals not wanting the tourists around. Though that is probably the biggest problem facing the traveling kiter at any decent kiting location. And the "not cleaning up after themselves", I don't buy that one.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 31, 18 11:23 am    Re: No Camping at Clatskanie City Park Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
I hope it is nothing other than the locals not wanting the tourists around.

Not sure why they would not want us around. Last Memorial Day the Seattle Puget Sound mob filled a few dinner and breakfast spots for 3 days, then shopped at Thriftway, Subway, Coffee shop. $$$$$ There are mini-invasions all summer since Seattle is 3 hours and best for an overnight stay.

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostThu May 31, 18 2:34 pm    Camping Reply with quote

So I got curious and called the Chamber of Commerce. The excuse given for the closure was that the park host had problems last year with a few non-family friendly campers and quit and they couldn't find a park host. But this person never saw where the job was announced. "They" also closed the skate park. Now what will the kids do??

This person also couldn't understand why "they" wouldn't want the influx of money brought in by campers but that "they" were conservative and old school and didn't like change. The "they" implied were the city council and the mayor.

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostThu May 31, 18 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

Incoming and outgoing tides are ripping right now. I'd recommend kiting with some friends or at least check in with the locals to ensure someone keeps eyes on you. These are huge flows with lots of debris. Be safe out there!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jun 01, 18 5:49 am     Reply with quote

So, what do we do? Personally, I was not frequenting Jones for the last few years. But I would stop by when freinds or acquaintances, who were not eastern gorge or ocean skilled yet, were looking for an easy place to kite. Where should those kiters go?

I am not one to out "secret overnight spots" on this forum, but that looks to be the next option. Is there any possibility of stealth camping close to Jones for a group of people?

Sad since the park was a great experience and I was all about supporting the town of Clastkanie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: