Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

5/26 kiting Rufus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat May 26, 18 6:09 pm    5/26 kiting Rufus Reply with quote

A number of us kited Rufus today. I would consider it a PDGT (Pretty Darned Good Time).

It wasn't epic, but there was definitely good swell.

What I found interesting was that it was completely flat to the East. Even down by the grain Silos which are usually good was completely washed out. However west was really good.

Most of us launched on the west side in the new fenced area. I ended staying pretty close to the launch site and had a really good time in the swell. I got a few good runs with perhaps a dozen cuts on the same swell. Most of the time I was getting a few cuts on shoulder to head height swell often with a white water break at the top.

On my drive home I noticed that The Wall looked really good. If I had it to do over again I would have kited up there. While driving by I noticed a set of full length river rollers blowing through at the Wall.

I arrived around 1:30 and left around 5:00. I am attaching pictures of the water flow along with wind conditions.

rufus discharge 20180526.png 
   Rufus Wind 2018056.png 

ROOSTER

Since 08 Apr 2009
32 Posts
Mighty Columbia River

PostSun May 27, 18 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

Haven't been to Rufus this year. What is " the new fenced area"

Thanks

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 27, 18 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

Between the big rock pile in the middle and the west end. If you go, you really can not miss it.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon May 28, 18 9:14 pm    5/28 Rufus Reply with quote

So, two days later with similar high water flow (in fact even a bit higher), however slightly lower winds, and no swell.

It was a washing machine today, with occasional short bursts of small to medium sized swell. I kited from around 3:00 - 4:00.

I did hear that a couple of hours earlier the swell was fantastic.

Which leads me to my previously stated belief. If its gusting 40 mph at Rufus, you are probably going to get swell. If it's not gusting 40, then probably not.

I am attaching screenshots of wind and current. You will notice that from 3:00 - 4:00 when I was kiting the wind had dropped.

Rufus Wind 20180528.png 
   rufus discharge 20180528.png 

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 29, 18 6:54 am     Reply with quote

great write-up.... thank you!

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue May 29, 18 7:27 am    A - Town Reply with quote

Silos was pretty good both Saturday and Monday. 5m with SB both days. Not epic but pretty fun!!

It didn't feel washed out to me Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: