Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How can I jump higher without getting hurt.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostSun May 13, 18 4:07 am    How can I jump higher without getting hurt. Reply with quote

I've got a woo and I'm able to jump around 20 feet. My gear is slingy kites and a tryrant board. I'm riding a surfboard, but I'm guessing that if I get a TT I'll get more ele.

So, I'm old with a knee surgery under my waist and doing high jumps safely is my goal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun May 13, 18 7:10 am     Reply with quote

You can jump to a height of 170 feet without getting hurt. After that there is no oxygen available. From my experience it has normally been the landing where the carnage and broken ribs occur!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 13, 18 7:43 am     Reply with quote

You can go plenty big on a surfboard if that’s what you have and are used to. Have to load the fins and edge differently but doable. Straps should be loose so you have to twist your feet to keep them in so if the jump goes bad you can kick the board away just before you hit the water. And try and land on your butt/back to absorb the hit if you cannot get the board off in time. Also, the rule of thumb for riding is when things go sideways let go of the bar BUT this is not always true when jumping. You want to keep the kite flying as long as possible in some situations to soften the blow. And learn to heli-loop the landings, makes it much safer especially with smaller kites. It’s easier to learn the front(or down-loop) first. Hope some of this helps because the biggest problem with going big is hesitation. That is what gets you hurt; in-action. No matter how big you go you have to want just a bit more and you have to fly the kite smoothly.

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostSun May 13, 18 8:43 am     Reply with quote

The key to come down smooth when going really big is to learn how to properly downloop before you land. This take practice.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun May 13, 18 10:03 am     Reply with quote

20’ on my surfboard is a big jump but 30’ on my twintip is common. 9m off the White Salmon Bridge or in front of the cove at Rowena are my favorite spots. Transition jumps with downloop landings are the smoothest. Pointing downwind on the landings too

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostMon May 14, 18 4:16 am     Reply with quote

Mac said the key phrase.....point the board DOWNWIND when landing, then redirect onto your tack!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon May 14, 18 9:23 am     Reply with quote

Link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostTue May 15, 18 4:35 am    22ft is my ceiling Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice and MR. T vid. But I’m really after information that will allow me to jump higher.
The first thing I should tell you is that I’m a good kiter and jump and loop on most landings. I get up to 20 feet regularly. The trick for me is breaking 20 feet on a surfboard.
Here is what works. 12 mtr 2018 RPM and 2012 tyrant with good fins.

Here’s what I’m going to do to try and get really high!

I’m gonna buy a twin tip. Before I do I’d like some folks to tell me which boards work for them.

Thanks

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue May 15, 18 7:03 am     Reply with quote

For breaking that barrier i'd say a twin tip and a slightly too big of a kite. Plus work on the load and pop - timing is key here. I myself unfortunately seem to have plateaued at around 26ft but i also know that my timing is a little off (i don't pop aggressively enough and have too much delay between the pop and sending the kite). My friend riding the same gear (RPMs + TT) and weighting pretty much the same as I gets 40ft+ on most of his jumps.

Also another piece of advice for bigger boosts: head to the coast the wind in the shore break seems to get a little of an uplift (probably warmer air over the sand is causing an uplift) - some of my bigger loftier jumps were at Manzanita. Plus you can use the wave as a kicker.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 15, 18 8:53 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:

head to the coast the wind in the shore break seems to get a little of an uplift (probably warmer air over the sand is causing an uplift) - some of my bigger loftier jumps were at Manzanita. Plus you can use the wave as a kicker.

This doesn't sound right. Isn't the wind the we all are kiting with when kiting in waters of Oregon and Washington usually side to side-on wind? Thus coming off the cool waters of the Pacific.

The smooth glassy water before the wave faces are perfect for extra load-and-pop (especially when one times/uses the extra tidal surge/force in their favor) and the waves themselves are awesome ramps/kickers. Just be careful of the shallows! Shocked

Send it!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue May 15, 18 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
voy-tech wrote:
head to the coast the wind in the shore break seems to get a little of an uplift (probably warmer air over the sand is causing an uplift)

This doesn't sound right. Isn't the wind the we all are kiting with when kiting in waters of Oregon and Washington usually side to side-on wind? Thus coming off the cool waters of the Pacific.

in my mind it makes perfect sense - the wind at Manzanita (at least on the few days I kite there) is more on shore (side-on) than side (cold ocean, warm land creating a natural breeze). Sand does warm up from the sun very quickly and that should cause some local up draft just above the beach. I definitely felt the secondary lift multiple times boosting in the break vs boosting anywhere else (including further out in the ocean or anywhere on Columbia).

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostWed May 16, 18 8:01 am    Yeah, I think ..... Reply with quote

So, If I'm on a lake, which I am right now I'm trying to get the most amount of air without crashing.
The Woo won't give me credit for bad landings. So, good landings are nice.

Here is how I got to 22 feet on my 6ft. Tyrant Surfboard using a 12 mtr. RPM kite last weekend.

1. The wind was gusty but averaging 20's with gust to 30's.
2. Tightened my fins and foot straps.
3. Sailed up-wind enough to find good solid air. I was fully powered and my kite flying just off top of wind window with a fully HOT bar. Just pulling the bar lifted me off water. Power was there.
4. Picked a wave angle and proceeded to go at that angle waiting for a bit of chop/wave to help me get more air.
5. Spotted my wave and went directly at it with kite lowered to near surface, loading....
6. Popped up and then cycled kite looking for a random up draft, kept kite sheeted in as much as possible and then landed.
7. Downlooped just before landing and made a solid contact with water and no pause, Woo likes this.
8. Made the top 15 jumps for that day on a lake in the middle of New Mexico called Elephant Butte.

Now, I'm thinking that to break my record I will need a sharper edge on my board, possibly a TT, but I want to jump a surfboard.

Thanks for all your input. Please join me with the details of your jumps and if you are using Woo, Pic, or whatever.

R

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostWed May 16, 18 8:32 am     Reply with quote

If you are going big on a surfboard lose the straps. That's where injuries occur.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed May 16, 18 8:50 am     Reply with quote

In my experience you don't need to keep the kite super low / near surface when loading, 45 deg is enough - the key though is a very quick movement of the kite through the window and across zenith to generate maximum lift from the kite.

When I look at my friend who gets those huge 40ft jumps i see that he pops just as the kite is getting that maximum lift - which allows him to use all of the kite's energy for the uplift move.

In comparison when i analyze my jumps - my pop is just a tad too slow and some of the energy that the kite has in that maximum lift is wasted on getting me out of the water surface which then translates to less energy available to pull me higher.

After all it's all about how the available energy gets utilized.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 16, 18 9:21 am     Reply with quote

Slap a foilmount on the bottom of your surfboard.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSun May 20, 18 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
From my experience it has normally been the landing where the carnage and broken ribs occur!

I also recommend avoiding shallow water. I learned that lesson the hard way last week: 25ft up no problem, broken wrist on the way down Sad

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSun May 20, 18 7:15 pm    smaller kite Reply with quote

you just aint gonna get so high on a 12m. big boosting is for single digit kites rooster lit on a 7m, manzo wave kickers on a 7-9m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: