Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What's the right wetsuit for the columbia???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
5LineStringGuy

Since 26 Mar 2018
2 Posts

PostWed Apr 11, 18 12:25 pm    What's the right wetsuit for the columbia??? Reply with quote

I'm in need of a new wetsuit for colder weather. Any suggestions ??
The water temp is around 45 degrees it looks like.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 11, 18 1:16 pm    Re: What's the right wetsuit for the columbia??? Reply with quote

5LineStringGuy wrote:
I'm in need of a new wetsuit for colder weather. Any suggestions ??
The water temp is around 45 degrees it looks like.

That is kind of a loaded question. If you are kiting right now go for a 6/5 or a 5/4 hooded. One should always dress for the swim, not the outside air temps, unless the air temps are cooler than the water one is kiting on/in.

It also depends your skill level and what you are doing in/on the water. If you are spending more time in the water learning how to kite or maybe expanding your skill/trick set or beginning your foil riding skill set then you will want something on the thicker side.

And if you plan on kiting on the Columbia mainly and all season then you probably need a quiver of wetsuits. Your old one can become your warm weather/water suit (cut off the bottoms of the legs and or sleeves).

I have a 5/4 hooded, 4/3 unhooded, and a 2m shortie. If I'm in between temp zones then I'll ride with the 4/3 or 2m unzipped in the back on the Columbia and practice the occasional sit and dunk to cool off. I like it warm and so it is a very rare day when I ride without a suit (personal choice and tolerance level to cold/risk).

Lots of dealers out there that can help you. I go to Josh at Cleanline for my suits as he is a very knowledgeable guy and a life-long surfer, a kiter for 2 decades, as well as a shop owner.

https://www.cleanlinesurf.com/

Support your local shops!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 17, 18 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

i surf a lot, big fan of the oneill pyrotech, i have a 4/3. the rubber they use for these is really stretchy and super comf, easy to get on and off, they're expensive too (but being warm is worth it to me)i also have an oneill heat 6/5, i think the 4/3 pyrotech is warmer.

kiting wind makes either of these feel chilly after a while (like an hour plus). so maybe some of these kite specific suits with the 'wind skin' are better. i have this idea that i want to buy my wetsuits from a company that is a wetsuit company, but the 'wetsuit companies' dont necessarily make them specific for kiting.

I had the npx assassin. thought that was a good suit at the time, but didnt stand up over time (kiting plus surfing 3 or so days a week 9months a year).

Ive heard a couple kiters on here that get out a lot talk up the patagonia stuff. i passed on patagonia because of how stiff it seemed, and not wanting to paddle in a stiff suit. shouldnt be an issue with kiting though.

so, i offer no real advice, just information.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 18, 18 9:52 am     Reply with quote

Probably a 5/4 with or without hood would be the ideal suit for high 40s water temp. There are a ton of brands and they are kind of like shoes in that each brand fits a little differently. It's worth trying them on and finding a brand and size that fits right. Gorge Performance in Portland has a TON of wetsuits to try on. They cater more to the coastal surfer crowd so most of their suits are thicker in the 5/4 range. Conveniently though the river temp is pretty on par with ocean temp right now.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 18, 18 10:00 am     Reply with quote

I've been riding on the Columbia for 30 years (windsurf and kite).
Ride Engine suit - this is my new favorite suit - got it last year.
http://www.rideengine.com/GEAR/Wetsuits/Apoc-5-4-3-Hooded.html

When it's really cold - I wear this over the suit and I stay warm.
Exoskin from Promotion.
http://www.wetsuit.com/2New_ExoSkin_Tops.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: