Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Info on Puerto Velero Columbia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Feb 08, 18 2:00 pm    Info on Puerto Velero Columbia Reply with quote

If you have been there, please post some info. Thanks!

jwnd

Since 22 Oct 2014
16 Posts
Bellingham

PostTue Feb 13, 18 6:36 pm    Puerto Velero Reply with quote

Kited Puerto Velero January 2 years ago. Off shore winds made for glassy inside with more waves as you rode downwind. Kited about 3/4 of the way to the point and back. Unsure about rounding the point or launching on the outside (NW) of the bay as shore appears very rocky there. If beginning kiter probably good to have chase boat or kite close-in due to off shore conditions. Ditto for Cabo de la Vela, but locals there will help you.

Wind seemed pretty consistent along the coast as we kited in similar conditions at La Boquilla/Cartagena for most of the week prior.

Lodging nearby. We stayed in Puerto Colombia to the north and on the way to Barranquilla, but were unable to kite there. Puerto Velero appears to be a popular spot for locals to hang by the shore, sun/wind shade huts available with assumption you will buy food from nearby restaurant. Great fried fish and other seafood along the coast there. Cazuela de Mariscos is a favorite.

Unsure of kite shops to rent gear or lessons locally as we were with a group from Cartagena heading to Cabo de la Vela. We hung out with the owner of Cogua Kiteboards from Calima then were on our way to the east the next day. Not many other kiters there with us that day but it was Carnival so busy time in the city.

Good kiting in La Guajira. Rio Hatcha and Cabo de la Vela worked well for us. Much bigger scene at Cabo de la Vela but you are lodging in a hot desert environment with hammocks in palapas and sparse water resources. Pack accordingly.

Have fun if you go.

Jim

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Feb 13, 18 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Don't forget the cheap rum and cocaine!!!!

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Feb 16, 18 11:31 am    Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - no plans yet, but definitely on the radar. I'll pass on the cheap Coke

nickbreslin444

Since 11 Jun 2016
9 Posts

Kook

PostTue Mar 20, 18 7:36 am    Puerto velero Reply with quote

I was in Colombia kiting all winter this year. Puerto velero is an ok wave spot can be gutsy often. There is an excellent spot in Barranqullia. It's where the magdelena river meets the Caribbean. Nice flat water on one side of the sandbar and breaking waves on the other. Cabo de la vela and punto gallenas are must visits as well. From a kiting perspective i think cartegena is worth passing over, better you visit that city for normal tourism. It is very windy. I was overpowered on my 8m most days. Not many no wind days either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: