Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

spokane snow kiting areas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 01, 06 7:57 am    spokane snow kiting areas? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows how the snow kiting is in the spokane area? Is there anywhere to do it? (other than climbing someone's fence and abusing their fields).

I know on the drive out there between tri-cities and spokane, there are some huge open areas that should be covered in snow.

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Dec 01, 06 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

What up Flyin E-

I am wondering the same thing. I live in Spokane and this summer I did some scouting around for areas with potential. There is so much open terrain it boggles my mind! But... I have NO idea what kind of snow coverage these areas get. I looked mostly at farmland directly to the south of spokane that sits on a high plateau. Easy to stand on the side of the road without seeing any farmhouses, fences, powerlines, trees, etc. for miles! Hopefully this gives me the best chance of clean wind and with the higher elevation deeper snow. There is very little weather data online for this area, so I will just have to go there and look for myself! I'm going tommorow...not sure what the wind will be doing but at least I can check the snow. Maybe get some cool pics.

I'll post what I find out about this area if anybody is interested. Then hopefully there might be other kiters around cause as far as I know I'm all alone up here!

Later.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Dec 02, 06 1:03 am     Reply with quote

hobbsla wrote:

I'll post what I find out about this area if anybody is interested. Then hopefully there might be other kiters around cause as far as I know I'm all alone up here!

Later.
I KNOW WHER YOU COULD LOOK Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Donny Baker

Since 13 Jul 2006
80 Posts

PostSat Dec 02, 06 6:22 am     Reply with quote

If we get enough snow then there's unlimited acreage of wheat fields of course. The place that I found that would be good is on top of the Baldy Mountains above Usk. It's probably between 4000-5000ft wide open and fairly flat but not lacking in terrain. There's already 3 ft of snow there. Youre on top of a mountain so there's nothing stopping the wind. The problem is that you need a snowmobile to get up there, and it takes about 15 min. of (groomed) trail riding to get to the top. So if ya don't have a sled then forget it. Best spot I've seen so far that's close (on top in an hour from town)and probably the place that I will eventually ride if I can stay away from the sled for a weekend.

LOOP

Since 08 Feb 2007
107 Posts

Ore-Ida

PostMon Feb 26, 07 4:50 pm    Anything? Reply with quote

Just wondering if you guys have found anywhere accesible without a sled yet? We live just past cda. and are already getting tired of the 3 and a half hr drive to Georgetown lake, eventho it has been worth it. Has anyone made the drive up to Chelan to check those areas out yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: