Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rooster Launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jiberus

PostFri Mar 09, 18 3:10 pm    Rooster Launch Reply with quote

I am thinking of heading down from Seattle to kite at Rooster on Sunday and Monday. Will I be able to launch at the spot down the trail east of the parking lot at this water level? I seem to remember that if the pilings are showing at all from the webcam that that one can still launch up there. Is that correct? The wind seems to be a bit cleaner up there than below the steps. Also, with the river temperature being 39 degrees, should I bring my shorty or just a rash guard?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 09, 18 3:53 pm    Re: Rooster Launch Reply with quote

jiberus wrote:
should I bring my shorty or just a rash guard?

At rooster no rash guard or shorty are required. You can even go without pants.

Last edited by user124 on Fri Mar 09, 18 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostFri Mar 09, 18 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

Don't you need wind to kite surf? Rash guard or shorty? What the hell go commando Laughing

Rooster.jpg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Mar 09, 18 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

if the water level is below the crossbeam on the wood jetty you have beach

http://pdxgreen.com/roostercam.php

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

jiberus

PostFri Mar 09, 18 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

That forecast above doesn't look too promising. I was looking at Temira's and it looked like 30-35 all day Sunday and Monday.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Mar 09, 18 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's going to be plenty of wind at Rooster Sat & Sun. The forecast looks good, but even better is the fact that I'll be heading out of town. That's an absolute guarantee that the wind will be good. Enjoy!! Very Happy

The water level has been way up and down, sometimes in the same day. No way to know if there'll be beach till the day of. If you launch, keep an eye that the beach and your gear isn't disappearing on you...

jiberus

PostFri Mar 09, 18 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for your sacrifice, Nak!

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostSun Mar 11, 18 5:02 pm    Easties Reply with quote

Wind looked great today and should continue through Monday. I really doubt you'll find much beach at Rooster though, I was out there a couple weeks ago and the water was up close to the top of the pilings. If anything I'd think it's rising with the warm weather.
Can anyone else actually see a current image on the Rooster Cam? When I see today's date it's blacked out, then reverts to the image of 10/25/2017.

Anyway, you might have better luck at Stevenson. Enjoy!

Rooster forecast
 Rooster forecast  rooster11.PNG 
Stevenson forecast
 Stevenson forecast  Stevenson11.PNG 

jiberus

PostSun Mar 11, 18 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

Had a great session with my son at Rooster today. The cam wasn’t working, but decided to check it out anyway. The water level was just under the crossbeam. There was a spot to launch up by the cove. Yesterday when the camera was working, the water level was about the same as today. Hope tomorrow will still work. That place is a blast!

bobdigital

Since 29 Aug 2016
67 Posts

PostMon Mar 12, 18 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Heading out there today!

Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Mar 12, 18 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Plenty of sand to launch....

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 12, 18 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

jiberus wrote:
Had a great session with my son at Rooster today. The cam wasn’t working, but decided to check it out anyway. The water level was just under the crossbeam. There was a spot to launch up by the cove. Yesterday when the camera was working, the water level was about the same as today. Hope tomorrow will still work. That place is a blast!

Per usgs https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14128870&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

The gage height was between 16.5 and 17.5 feet last sunday March 11 at bonneville. It's good to have a kiteable reference point in time.

rooster river height graph.png 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: