Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Split Board Review - Kitelement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 19, 18 9:28 pm    Split Board Review - Kitelement Reply with quote

Split Board Review - Kitelement

Purchased the 2018 Kitelement Resolve Split kiteboard a couple of weeks ago and traveled to Taiwan for three great days. One day on a 10m and two 6m days. Tested in flat water, surf and chop. Here are my impressions. First the board rocks, very very very light with its full carbon. The construction is top notch. Price is even better with full pads and shipping. G10 fins and top-quality pads. Between myself and my local host the board saw jumps repeatedly and yes, I’m 210 lbs. From my impressions I think this board will never break and last for years. I can truly say that this board should hold up. I would not let the fear of breaking the board keep one away from purchasing.

Ride quality. I have tried and owned many boards. Like most people I am particular in what I like. From my three days I believe this board is 85 to 90% equal to my current favorite board. Good rocker for landings, very smooth turn transitions and great in the chop. I was not looking at purchasing a new “favorite board”, my goal was to by a board for travel that I could live with. A board with good ride quality, construction and durability. This board does this, hands down. Given the price includes shipping, if you need a board for travel, this is the one. If your needing the board to fit your particular ride characteristic, nothing is better than trying a board in person. In fact, I only demo boards, from ski to kiteboards before I purchase anything at retail. Feel free to contact me if you would like to try the board.

For travel I have used the “golf” bag technique a couple of time. This style sucks big time. When you travel with more than one stop, taking a regular board and golf bag is just shit. Try rolling around the airport with two luggage’s with one of them being a golf bag. It’s a pain in the ass. Couple of items to think about. Rental cars and fitting a regular board in the back without dropping the seat, imposable. With the back seat down and your board in the back, your open for thieves. Will insurance cover you, for they will get your gear! Taking a cab with your regular board, sucks !! Transitioning from one airport to a second airport, sucks. Again, you have issues with taxes and rental cars. Given all the issues that I have dealt with, I don’t see why these split boards are not more popular for traveling. If your going to travel more than one time every two years, get a split board !

For travel and size, see image attached. This was my luggage, three kites 10m, 8m, 6m and 5-3 wetsuit, harness, hat, boots, one bar and everything except the pump !!! I was able to get everything in and maintain exactly 50 lbs.

Kitelement-1.jpg 

kbrossel

Since 26 Aug 2012
21 Posts

PostTue Feb 20, 18 9:19 am    Split Board Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. Have one coming today with the purchase based on reading reviews and comparisons with the competition, mainly Nobile. The price is about half of their board. Even with an 80% of maximum ride comparison with your favorite the ease of travel would make this board a no brainer. It is getting more difficult with the golf bags, I think the airline ticket agents are on to us. United seems to be the worse. We even had trouble at Christmas traveling to Bahamas with a second bag each with a ticket agent saying we could only have one bag due to travel restrictions. Thankfully she was wrong but restrictions were in place for oversized to Mexico.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 20, 18 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Which size board did you get?

Anthony

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 20, 18 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

I purchased the 136-size based on their recommendations. The size seems perfect. What would really be great is to compare the none carbon to the carbon version. Also, someone ask me about location that I purchase my unit. I purchased directly from their web site. Also, they were available by email, with quick response to my questions, before and after purchase. BUT I have not Brocken the board so could not comment on any warrant response.

runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostMon Feb 26, 18 11:29 am    re Reply with quote

Thank you for your post! could you give a quick review on kiting in Taiwan? your post is timely as my friend just signed on for a 2 year contract and I may have to visit!

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 28, 18 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. It's a really nice looking board that is not even obviously a split board. I haven't looked at them in a while as in the past they seemed heavy and weak.

Having inspected and assembled it, how durable do you think the junction point is? That's where the stress would be of course. Can you feel it flex at the joint if you load up a tip or tail while kiting?

Slick looking board.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 28, 18 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

The joint seems 100%
From my limited experience with it, I feel my body would give out before the joint does.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 01, 18 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Too bad they don't make a directional board yet. A strong, light, split surf board (based on a Tomo Shape or even a pickle shape) would be nice for travel.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 01, 18 8:05 am     Reply with quote

I looks like Noble makes a split directional, thou kind of spendy at $1,399.
https://nobileusa.com/shop/kiteboarding/2018-infinity-split-carbon/

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Mar 01, 18 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
I looks like Noble makes a split directional, thou kind of spendy at $1,399.
https://nobileusa.com/shop/kiteboarding/2018-infinity-split-carbon/

That thing looks just like an old school Slingshot Fuse, you can find for around $200. I had the 149" and 151" back in the day. Very fun John Doyle designed carver hybrid board for strapped riders to boost on etc yet still small enough to pack down and leave it with a local kid on the beach after you leave. Win win. Very Happy

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Mar 05, 18 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Found this too http://thecarboncompact.com/

For the price of these things you could go on like 6 trips and buy a $200 surfboard then leave it there. Would be nice for a small car or remote plane trips though.

BarraGrande

Since 02 May 2018
1 Posts

PostWed May 02, 18 6:06 am    Comparison NHP Reply with quote

thank you for the review, super helpful.
have you ever tried the NHP split from Nobile? can you comment on differences in ride quality vs kitelement re volt?

kbrossel

Since 26 Aug 2012
21 Posts

PostWed May 02, 18 7:26 am    Resolve review Reply with quote

Finally had a chance to use the Resolve split boards that we bought a couple months ago in Houston. Very solid construction with no concessions to the split board design. Felt normal and did well in the small chop due to a substantial rocker. Have not used a Nobile but cant imagine that much improvement over the Kitelement for the price. My main concern was strength of the joint and other than a small groove on the bottom where the two halves join there was no difference with my full board. Be sure to retighten the screws again after your first session. The alignment shifts slightly with use, very normal with all screws on a board. Be sure not to strip midline screws, put the fins on first to hold the board in position before placing them. I was on the 140, 220 lbs, and my wife was on the 132 and gave it good reviews also. Bindings are good quality but everyone has their preference. Did have a problem when ordered as one fin was missing threading but Jakub got right on it and shipped a new set of fins, good support.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: