Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best skiers in the world?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostMon Feb 19, 18 9:22 pm    Best skiers in the world? Reply with quote

https://deadspin.com/the-winter-olympics-feature-2-951-of-the-world-s-greate-1823138678

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostTue Feb 20, 18 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Haha, that's awesome. I guess this means I have a shot at competing in snowboard halfpipe 2022!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 20, 18 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is going to inspire tightening of the rules to get into the Olympics. Sounds good until you think of some very inspirational, but not the greatest skills, athletes. Thinking "Cool Runnings" and the very inspirational Jamaican bobsled team. Those guys absolutely belonged in the Olympics, but they barely got in before. The team later produced Lascelles Brown, the first Jamaican-born athlete to win a Winter Olympic medal. Underdogs need to be given a chance at the Olympics. The Olympics are supposed to be about hope and bringing the world together, not just who's the best at something.

This girl though, she's not about hope. She's about having enough money and time to exploit a loophole. It's sad to think what her actions will cost the world. Sad

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Feb 20, 18 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

This guy belongs in the Olympics.... not the loophole gal.

Eddie the Eagle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzQjVUmIxk

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 21, 18 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
This guy belongs in the Olympics.... not the loophole gal.

Eddie the Eagle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzQjVUmIxk

Yes!!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Feb 21, 18 9:14 am     Reply with quote

"That’s her gameplan: show up and stay upright."

Part 1 - "show up" This seems to be extremely difficult for most in the younger generations of today's society. I applaud her for that. As a race, humans would benefit from more of this.

Part 2 - "stay upright" Again, I wish others in society would at least go for this low hanging fruit. Oh, the times I wished someone in front of me would not have been strapless and got munched by a closeout in front of me, then had to spend 5 minutes locating/getting to their board while I wait on the outside for them to clear the break.

And to her strategy for "winning"......I must say it seems to be genius. All of the other competitors were trying to get on the podium. But Elizabeth Swaney never really tried to do what everyone else was doing, she new she couldn't. But her name will live on and likely be even more notable than the gold medal winner. I think she deserves it. She may not be competing in the true spirit of the Olympics, but she worked hard and smart. And she never really hurt anyone. That is the honorable way to make a name for yourself.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Feb 22, 18 10:05 pm     Reply with quote

I find it sickening that this chick was allowed to compete in any halfpipe comp. These skiers literally risk their life on every run, all in the name of "progression." They literally love their sport enough to continually risk danger and catastrophic injury. Enter entitled millennial with a disposable income and she gets to parade down the halfpipe like she just rode skis for the first time. If karma is real this chick has hers coming. She probably had few friends before this stunt, now she has none. So insulting on so many levels.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 23, 18 4:58 pm    Its all jut one big commercial Reply with quote

For me, the Olympics has just become one big commercial. I no longer think of it as the best athletes in the world coming together to socialize and compete. its all about the $$$. For the Olympics and the athletes.

Thats just me I don't need anybody to agree.

So from my point of view the fact that she was able to capitalize on the Olympics , who are capitalizing on every single thing that they can, is great. Way to go !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: