Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

late May: OB or SPI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 19, 18 1:30 pm    late May: OB or SPI? Reply with quote

My wife has the last two weeks of May off and we were planning to visit France but plans changed so now we're looking for someplace affordable she can take windsurfing lessons while I kite. Our primary options are Outer Banks and South Padre Island.

I'm guessing better wind chances in NC than SPI that late in the spring? What are your experiences? (I want decent kiting for me, but also good windsurf lessons for her, and preferably SUP options when the wind doesn't blow).

Thx!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 19, 18 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

OB is a long trip from Portland and the spring winds start to mellow and get light in late may. It's a long way to travel for an iffy chance at wind.

I used to live on the east coast and the percentage of days you can windsurf in late May on the OB is less than 50-50.
Slightly higher for kiting because you can kite in light wind.

IMO - it's easier to learn to windsurf in high winds with small sails.

Does anyone actually teach windsurfing anymore?
Shocked

You mentioned SUP - do you mean flat water or waves?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 19, 18 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

two thoughts came to mind:

1: keep it l semi local and go hit the winds in Santa Cruz (Scott's and Waddell). Make your way up the coast and hit up Will at Floras Lake. It used to be all Wind Surfing way back. I'm sure you could pay extra for Will to teach your wife that ancient sport all the while you can kite.

2: Doesn't Aruba have strong winds? Small kites for you and strong winds for her to learn how to Wind Surf.

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Feb 19, 18 11:32 pm    Hatteras in May Reply with quote

Hatteras is great. It is a haul fly into ORF and rent car but its a great place if you've never been. There is somewhere to kite in any direction and you can ride flats or ocean any day there is wind. The downwinders are epic on the ocean and memorable on the sound side. Plenty of places for the wife to take lessons and many windsurfers and shops are around.

You can see the wind stats for yourself from windalert.

Hatteras wind stats.JPG 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 20, 18 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights... keep em coming! I've never been to OB (except Kitty Hawk as a kid). I grew up windsurfing on Cape Cod so never really had reason because the wind is supposedly similar.

Santa Cruz is out for the wife - she grew up there so it's not a getaway. Frankly I'd love just to hang in the Hood but the water will still be too cold for her plus she wants a change of scenery. SUP would be flat water for her, preferably bikini weather. Aruba is actually a great idea but I went a zillion times back in the windsurf days; offshore winds will (eventually) teach you upwind skills, and hotel-induced wind shadows are great for learning the hula (balance drills).

Floras is an idea... but isn't it still heavy wetsuit weather then? She's thinking that time of year she could take windsurf lessons someplace warm before hitting the lagoon in a 4 mil in June. I said OB *might* be an option so she started researching it and put a refundable deposit on a condo in Avon.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 20, 18 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

M A U I

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Feb 21, 18 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Does your wife want to wear a wetsuit? That’s prob question #1....if no, that’ll eliminate OBX and West Coast. Do you want to spend $ or $$, SPI would be cheaper than Maui.

Warm waters, relatively cheap, laguna and gulf, plenty wind on SPI...that being said, not sure about windsurfing lessons there. If $ is not a huge factor, I agree with the Maui recommendation, its an absolute slam dunk!

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostWed Feb 21, 18 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

I recommend SPI. May is right during their peak wind season. Air Padre Kiteboarding used to host their Kite Round-Up event in May.
http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/4182-south-padre-kiteboard-round-up/
Check out this company for windsurfing lessons.
http://southpadre-kiteboarding.com

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 21, 18 7:00 pm     Reply with quote

SPI all the way for learning with a wife/ Maui for ripping. Prime season for both. You can't go wrong!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 22, 18 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Maui!

surfboy1968

Since 17 Jun 2008
217 Posts
south padre island
Stoked

PostThu Feb 22, 18 9:57 am     Reply with quote

May has been the best month for the past several years here in SPI. I believe Windsurf Inc. still teaches windsurfing lessons. May is usually less crowded, spring break over and summer tourist season hasn't started yet.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostThu Feb 22, 18 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

my first two years kiting I spent the winters spi
you can't beat it,
easy to learn

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Feb 22, 18 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

Go to Bonaire. Guaranteed wind and multiple affordable kite schools. The wind is offshore, but super steady and easy to learn.

http://www.kiteboardingbonaire.com/en/

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 22, 18 10:27 pm     Reply with quote

I'll get to Bonaire someday, but not this year - gotta be domestic and $. Windsurf schools are probably really good there (I don't need a kite school; wife fears strings). I think it's gonna be SPI.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: