Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oregon Coast Kiteboarding
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 29, 17 7:56 pm    Oregon Coast Kiteboarding Reply with quote

Was looking to coordinate winter, even summer Oregon Coast kite sessions. Did not see any group on Facebook and thought this might be a good way to keep people updated. Anyone know if there is a Facebook group?

I started a Facebook group. I beleive you just need to search "Oregon Coast Kiteboarding" and select join if your interested.

I was out today at Manzo, lets just say wo.
And looking at going this weekend again.

Anyone kite during the winter? My winter is promarily skiing but I try and get to the coast two times a month.

Marcp

Since 24 May 2010
32 Posts

PostSat Dec 30, 17 7:58 am     Reply with quote

I searched FB for Oregon Kiteboarding groups and no results.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat Dec 30, 17 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Why does it have to be crackbook. Can’t we live without it?

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 30, 17 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

Here is the Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OregonCoastKite/

That is, if I have figured this Facebook thing out correctly.
Also anyone have a good photo for that I could use for this group, background photo, Thanks

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Dec 31, 17 1:47 am     Reply with quote

Correct the spelling error in the group name: Oregon Coast Kiiteboarding

Otherwise folks will not be able to find it...

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 31, 17 9:53 am     Reply with quote

ooooopppppssss

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 31, 17 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

I’d love to stay off Facebook but Nwkite messages are super slow and pic sizing is super small. I’d gladly put up with a banner ad if Nwkite could improve. Chances are they’d be local shops advertising. Pskite has almost all gone over to Facebook and hopefully it doesn’t happen here too

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 31, 17 6:18 pm     Reply with quote

macgruber

I agree. Would rather use NWkite vs Facebook. our forum does not have a simple way for the 10+ people in the winter to get updates.

Anyone have suggestions?
Or am I over doing this?
Are there more than 10 people who go out in the Winter?
I know there is at least 7 of us.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostSun Dec 31, 17 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

I'm all for a Facebook group. Though Facebook is creepy in a lot of ways it is certainly more seamless than forums and nice to have everything in the same feed.

Doesn't mean that the forum has to go away, but a great supplement for on-site reports and coordination between riders at the less travelled spots! And also speaking as someone new to the Oregon kite community, maybe could make it easier to get to know the folks I'll ride with.

door

Since 21 Dec 2017
8 Posts
Pacific City
Kook

PostTue Jan 02, 18 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
macgruber
our forum does not have a simple way for the 10+ people in the winter to get updates.

Anyone have suggestions?

Just curious what kind of site you would be looking for to solve this problem, what kind of features would you want?

I can most likely create a website for this, that would be solely for the Oregon Coast

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 02, 18 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

First, I love NWkite, and for FYI, don't mind if there was, say one add, maybe 2 (small size) that would support the effort. And OR accept donations, I would donate. Yearly donation every Jan or ? Just my thought on that subject.

Anyway, back to what I believe is needed. And some rambling.

I dislike having way too many lists, see an image of the Kiteforum. Too many options. Short and simple is best. Also the image from our forum shows a short list at the top that does not change. This is great, for some key items and its short. Does not take away from the ongoing topics.

I have 10 people on the new Facebook group. I'm not saying we keep this, but.
Only people in the group get notified of new topics. The latest topic is always at the top. You access the group, and its only Oregon Coast people. Also in the winter, its only a couple nut jobs like me that would be following the post. Ports such as "Anyone going to Fort Stev this Saturday" or "It's going to blow at Manzo today, anyone going"

The problem with our forum is that a post would get lost in the list as people add a new post during the week. My new post on a Monday would be on page two by Friday, if I used our forum.

So my Facebook group was more about notifications and not discussions. There could be some discussions, but would not replace our forum. Personally, this was my need. Gathering the winter nut jobs together. I was out this Monday at Stevenson, great 6m day. Just a great day, shrank my dick but it was a blowing day. And only me and Larry were out. The majority of the winter, about 99% is on our coast with worm 50 water and air temp, so a group around Oregon Coast would be best.

Anyone else have thoughts?
O, all you people in Mexico, I'm heading to Spain for two weeks this month! So just F you.
Smile

Last edited by WindSki on Wed Jan 03, 18 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostWed Jan 03, 18 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I really hope nwkite doesnt go fb.
It ruined pskite.
Too much ego involved. Photos. Fb personal data etc.
And it is not as accessible for newbies.

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 03, 18 10:16 am     Reply with quote

scottnorby wrote:
I really hope nwkite doesnt go fb.
It ruined pskite.
Too much ego involved. Photos. Fb personal data etc.
And it is not as accessible for newbies.

PSKite ruined PSKite. The FB Northwest Kiteboarders Group was not created to take over PSkite. People chose to migrate to FB, because the culture of the PSKite forum took a turn for the worse. Also, FB makes it much easier to load pics. The group is well managed and toxic posts are cut off. https://www.facebook.com/groups/608389315944697/?ref=bookmarks

That said, NWkite does not have the same issues that PSkite had and comes alive spring through fall. I like it the way it is now.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 03, 18 10:29 am     Reply with quote

[quote="WindSki"]First, I love NWkite,

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jan 03, 18 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
First, I love NWkite, and for FYI, don't mind if there was, say one add, maybe 2 (small size) that would support the effort. And OR accept donations, I would donate. Yearly donation every Jan or ?

. . .

Anyone else have thoughts?
O, all you people in Mexico, I'm heading to Spain for two weeks this month! So just F you.
Smile

It is my belief that PKH (creator and owner of this website) doesn't take $ and so he owes nothing to nobody. It his own creation and run the way he likes.
KISS: Keep it Simple Stupid

Green with envy. . . don't forget your marble bag aka speedo for your trip to Spain.

marblebag.png 

door

Since 21 Dec 2017
8 Posts
Pacific City
Kook

PostWed Jan 03, 18 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

My issue with FB is that I don't have an account and don't ever plan on getting one, so I wouldn't be able to post, and if you don't have an account group access is often blocked or they're always prompting you to register.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Jan 03, 18 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Can someone tell me where to buy one of those face book thingy's. Do I need to go to Best Buy or Circuit City? I am starting to kind of feel left out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: