Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First Snowkite Session of the Season - Big Horns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostSat Nov 18, 17 2:10 pm    First Snowkite Session of the Season - Big Horns Reply with quote

Write up of my last few days in the Big Horns:

https://ozonekites.com/news/article/first-sessions-of-the-season

Thanks for reading and see ya out there,
Noah

dpow

Since 13 May 2011
83 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostTue Nov 28, 17 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

I really miss the bighorns. moved from bozeman to seattle in 2013 and havent made it back. It is amazing there.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Nov 29, 17 10:03 am    Re: First Snowkite Session of the Season - Big Horns Reply with quote

noah wrote:
Write up of my last few days in the Big Horns:

https://ozonekites.com/news/article/first-sessions-of-the-season

Thanks for reading and see ya out there,
Noah

Nice write up Noah about your trip! Keep the posts coming you lucky dog.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostThu Nov 30, 17 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Noah,
I enjoyed your review of the new Ozone Blizzard. I'm looking at moving into foil kites for snowkiting and want to get more info about the Blizzard as well as Ozone's Hyperlink and any other foil kites you may have used for snowkiting.
The Hyperlink can be flown as either an open or closed cell while the Blizzard is open cell only, and I've read that closed-cell foils are more stable in gusty conditions and less likely to collapse, so for powered kiteloops would it be better than the Blizzard?
Do you think a closed-cell kite would be safer for gliding as well?
The Blizzard is a lower aspect kite than the Hyperlink and thus seems like it would loop faster. Is that your experience?
The easier landing/folding up for open cell foils makes them better for climbing a mountain to freeride down, so having that option makes the Hyperlink a more versatile snowkite, not to mention the closed option allows the Hyperlink to also be used on the water, so maybe it's worth the extra money. Do you use the same foil for snow and water?
Thanks. Also, any other snowkiters with opinions on foils are encouraged to chime in here as well.

noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostThu Nov 30, 17 11:04 pm     Reply with quote

Windstoked, I sent you a message.

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostWed Dec 06, 17 10:40 pm     Reply with quote

Nice write up Noah- way to get after it per usual. Hope you guys are having fun this week!

Hec

Since 26 Dec 2017
2 Posts
Australia

PostTue Dec 26, 17 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

G'ay All,

Hope i'm not hijacking a thread here, but I found this forum when searching for snow kiting USA.

Basically I have never snow kited, but have kite surfed for a few seasons now. My wife and I are thinking of heading over to the USA (from Australia) in March. She wants to try snow shoeing / cross country skiing and I want to try snow kiting. We'd also like to take a peek at Yelowstone and possibly Glacier National Parks.

We love the American outdoors and have bene there on a few occasions but have never been up to the snow kiting areas. Initially Montanna seemed the ideal place to go, but seems Wyoming might be possible also?

Can anyone advise where would be the best place(s) to head? Ideally we'd love to be somewhere with great scenery and a good vibe where others like minded might be. Links to info, forums etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers to all.

Hec

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Dec 26, 17 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/2018-TFS-Wyoming-Snowkite-Trips.html?soid=1129379829337&aid=6qOI2eMhCzs

Check the snow kite trips Brad has in the Big Horns in March.

Hec

Since 26 Dec 2017
2 Posts
Australia

PostWed Dec 27, 17 4:45 am     Reply with quote

Cheers JohnB,

Those trips look awesome. I have contacted Brad.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 30, 19 8:11 am    Noah, let's see some snowkiting pics. Reply with quote

Noah: speculation here, but I'm thinking you scored a super early snowkiting session or two with the recent early season dumpage of snow in Montana.

Fuel the fire and post some pics please!

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostTue Oct 01, 19 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

Hec - my recommendation is just be flexible and fluid & willing to drive. The snowkite community is welcoming & totally willing to share beta and the goods. The Bighorns are close to guaranteed in March but can get socked in & difficult under some circumstances. When they are ripe it's as good as it gets! Sometimes we travel - a lot - to get to the right place for a particular weather setup. If you come from Oz we'll be happy to keep you current, WY , MT, ID all have fantastic options..... depending on current conditions. Montana kiters & Jackson Hole kiters on Facebook are good info sources & places to get last minute updates. Also there's the Snowkite Rodeo in mid-March. That is over in the SW corner of Montana and a long way from the Bighorns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: