Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cape Cod National Seashore Ban Lawsuit
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kiter_dude

Since 21 Jan 2009
47 Posts
anywhere there is wind

PostSat Nov 26, 16 4:43 am    Same Thing Happened To Us In FLORIDA Reply with quote

we were lucky and found out about a TOTAL ban on all our county beaches a mere 3 days before the county voted on it (6 years ago)

the people behind it were the "bird people" (audubon etc) ... they had worked behind the scenes with the county board ... not once talking to either of the 2 kite shops in town

we made sure we had over 40 local kiters show up at the county board meeting and everyone signed up for a 5 minute talk ... realizing they had a considerable "push back" from the community they tabled the topic which gave the owner of one of the shops (who had an excellent relationship with the county rec' people) time to meet and come up with our own self regulation/rules that were acceptable to the county (and still in force today)

now our biggest problems are with tourists who visit SW FL and dont even bother to check with the shop or locals as to where to ride - it is a full time job during tourist season to police our beaches but so far so good

it has since been shown that a significant problem affecting the plovers and other nesting birds are people who violate the beach rules and bring their dogs to the beach after the guards leave - the dogs run through the scrub areas (sand grasses) chasing the birds and other critters - we also have tons of black racers (day time snakes) which seek out the nests - the kites shadows have negligible impact on any of the nesting birds

I would strongly recommend contacting Rick Iossi with fksa.org - he was tremendous at helping us

KD

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostTue Mar 07, 17 11:01 am    We did it!! Reply with quote

We got some year round ocean access back on Cape Cod!! I couldn't have done it without the support of my kitesurf friends in the PNW & across the US. I'll post the story once it hits the papers.

Thank you for your willingness to support & give your expertise to our cause!

Holly

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 07, 17 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Mar 07, 17 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Some of us were wondering what was going on out there. Many of us that may never even visit Cap Cod National Seashore still did our petition signing and letter writing.

And yes, we will be very interested in the story of how our efforts helped out.

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostTue Mar 07, 17 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Wooo! Congrats. That's some good news. Surprised

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 08, 17 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

This quote is hilarious. The fact that her attorney was Lawrence Wind is pretty funny as well.

"Kuhn uses a kite about 10 to 15 feet long to carry her on a board out to big waves, and she then releases the tension in the kite and surfs to shore. Other kitesurfers use the tension to execute board flips and other freestyle moves or choose just to glide along the water."

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostWed Mar 08, 17 5:11 pm    Not as funny as... Reply with quote

Ski dee, that's not as funny as the reporter asking me if I can keep the kite within the 1 3/4 mi boundaries. Rolling Eyes

Here's the article http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170307/national-seashore-expands-kitesurfing-areas

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 09, 17 5:21 am    Re: Not as funny as... Reply with quote

capekiter wrote:
Ski dee, that's not as funny as the reporter asking me if I can keep the kite within the 1 3/4 mi boundaries. Rolling Eyes

Here's the article http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170307/national-seashore-expands-kitesurfing-areas

Well congrats. That is great work getting a partial lift of the ban.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostSat Dec 02, 17 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

Just wanted to update everyone on our little grassroots effort to get the Cape Cod National Seashore kitesurfing ban reversed.

In 2017 we celebrated the retirement of Superintendent George Price by kitesurfing the beautiful stretch of Atlantic coastline we were able to access thanks to all of your support! And while a new Super hasn't been appointed yet, I have been in discussions with the Interim Super in preparation for next year. The feedback I received from the Seashore about last season was positive, and we were able to show them (now that all eyes are on us) that we are a responsible and respectful group that can be trusted to follow the rules and coexist with the other National Seashore users. I appreciate everyone's compliance and due diligence who came here as it will help keep our access as well as esteem for our sport. Reading through your comments on my petition, so many of you understood that the science and the data just isn't there to support their claims that kitesurfing harms shorebirds. And more importantly our government officials shouldn't be allowed to make public policy based on personal bias and that lacks scientific findings. I made a Freedom of Information request to the National Park Service and was able to get the results of the public comment period from a year ago, and I wanted to share them with you. In one month the NPS received a noteworthy 247 comments, 13 of which supported banning kitesurfing in Cape Cod National Seashore, and with 234 in opposition to the ban. I couldn't be more grateful to all of you who took the time to write, as well as those of you who signed my petition. Together your voices were heard, and were able to make a difference. And I thank every one of you, because you each counted and I couldn't have done it without you.

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Dec 02, 17 5:12 pm    FOIA Reply with quote

Gotta love FOIA!!!! It really is a citizens best weapon. Being able to reference the overwhelming support in public comments will come in handy for the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: