Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How to travel on a plane with a 2017 LiftFoil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
gymshoe

Since 19 Aug 2007
29 Posts

PostThu Nov 23, 17 2:45 pm    How to travel on a plane with a 2017 LiftFoil? Reply with quote

Got a new 2017 LiftFoil (150 wing).
The wing is one piece and measures 25x28".
It won't fit in my: surfboard bag, kite(golf) bag, or largest suitcase.

Anybody travel with these on a plane? and If so, how do you get them packed to fit?

thanks,
jim

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 23, 17 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

I hav the same issue. I have a sup bag I am working on modifying to hold the foil, mast, and board. A sup bag was the only bag I could find with the width for the wing.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 24, 17 7:53 am     Reply with quote

Recently I flew to here in Central Mexico with a television. Why couldn't you simply create a shipping box for your foil. Keep it under "62 nonminal, pack everything in styrofoam (we even used all our beach towels and pillows). Easy. A local bike store would have ample cardboard kicking around:

gymshoe

Since 19 Aug 2007
29 Posts

PostFri Nov 24, 17 10:59 am     Reply with quote

Great idea wylieflyote. I will look into that.

I found a Pro-lite Rhino surfboard travel bag "Fish-style" which reports 26.5" width. Theoretically that would accomodate the 25" wide foil + boards. (Plus reduces Airline fees to one surfboard bag instead of surfboard bag + extra bag). However, I'm not sure how a nominal "26.5in width" really translates into inside dimensions.
Anybody every try that? Maybe I'll call ProLite (but they are closed from T-day to Sunday, ugg.)

thanks,
jim

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 24, 17 11:04 am     Reply with quote

Nominal: Width + Height + Length
Right? Outside dimensions.
Oh, and watch out for United Airlines large baggage to Mexico. Problems there this month.

Buen Viaje
Kip

gymshoe wrote:
Great idea wylieflyote. I will look into that.

I found a Pro-lite Rhino surfboard travel bag "Fish-style" which reports 26.5" width. Theoretically that would accomodate the 25" wide foil + boards. (Plus reduces Airline fees to one surfboard bag instead of surfboard bag + extra bag). However, I'm not sure how a nominal "26.5in width" really translates into inside dimensions.
Anybody every try that? Maybe I'll call ProLite (but they are closed from T-day to Sunday, ugg.)

thanks,
jim

gymshoe

Since 19 Aug 2007
29 Posts

PostFri Nov 24, 17 6:03 pm     Reply with quote

For anybody who is interested:

Sebastian, a really nice rep at Cleanline Surf Shop (Seaside/Cannon Beach, OR) measured for me both the Pro-Lite Rhino Travel Bag-Fish and the Pro-lite Rhino Travel Bag-Longboard.
These are nominally 26.5" and 27" wide (based on ProLite website), respectively.

However, both have a maximum inner dimension of 24".
So neither will fit a 25" wide wing/foil. Thanks Sebastian.

Bummer. Looks I'm using the box...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: