Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

La Ventana wetsuit question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostTue Nov 07, 17 9:11 am    La Ventana wetsuit question Reply with quote

What am I missing I see lots of threads about needing a suit in La Ventana, we are going around Thanksgiving trends look like 80,s air temperatures and 70 degrees for water. So a most not comfortable in those conditions or is it not really that warm?

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Nov 07, 17 9:18 am    LV wetsuit Reply with quote

For whatever it is worth I was there last year in January and wore a shorty the whole time. Some wore suits that were thicker and some didn’t even wear any wetsuit. Obviously it’s a personal choice but I didn’t think the water was that cold.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Nov 07, 17 9:28 am     Reply with quote

I get cold easily and so when I was there in late Jan. I wore sometimes a full 4/3 and sometimes a 3mm shortie. I think I usually started out with a shorie and for my second session of the day and later in the afternoon I wore the 4/3. It is so nice not having to put back on a wet wetsuit. Waters and temps right now will be warmer than anytime in the coming season.

It also depends on what you are doing. . . will you be learning something new and spending a lot of time in the water? How long are your sessions on the water before you come in? How strong are the winds and how warm is it outside when you go and how warm is the water at that time?

I'd bring a suit of some kind for sure and if I had to chose between a shortie and a full suit, I'd pick the full suit (maybe a 3/2 if I had had one).

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 07, 17 9:58 am     Reply with quote

I've worn 2mm shorty and 3/2 full. The water temperature seems to vary and can be warmer or colder some years. There are definitely days in some years when you can get by with board shorts only. But when the strong wind "El Norte" patterns come through the air temperature also gets on the cooler side so nice to have a full suit for those days.

navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostTue Nov 07, 17 9:42 pm    Ventana wetsuit Reply with quote

I usually go out for a 3hr sesh in the afternoon in LV, like to go far off shore and always happy in a 4-3. Currently doing the same riding plus waves in Maui where the water is 10 Deg warmer and pretty happy in long sleeved thermal shirt from ProMotion with rash guard on top. I’m a skinny dude, no insulation built in.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Nov 07, 17 11:12 pm     Reply with quote

I have spent the past three winters in LV. And each season was different. I don't think you can take the advice of folks who only went one time for one week and happened to hit a warm stretch. I have use a shorty, full 3/2, and full 5/3 in LV. If I can only take one suit then it would be my 3/2 full.

Wetsuit use in LV is more about the wind exposure than the water temperature. This is why you see all three types of suits in use at the same time. If you take a thin suit you can still mitigate things by staying close to shore, sailing and returning to one beach, and coming in to warm up.

The ultimate single Baja suit would be to split the difference between my two full suits and have a 4/3. And the experienced guys at Promotion wetsuits have also recommended a 4/3 to me as a Baja specific suit.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 08, 17 6:38 am     Reply with quote

Well, right now it is just shorts
No wetsuit needed at all, just sun protection
By Thanksgiving who knows but it is warmer than usual just like last year
Seems like it will not get cool anytime soon according to the forecast
Good luck figuring out November in Baja Sur

kbrossel

Since 26 Aug 2012
21 Posts

PostWed Nov 08, 17 10:29 am    Wetsuit LV Reply with quote

For me the biggest issue is not so much water and air temperature but being caught with no wind. Have been there a few times and you can watch the wind turn on at 11:30 and shut off at 5 pm. Have seen many times where there are kite just floating in the water when it shuts off with no rescue available. Good luck if you are way off shore. A long swim in.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 08, 17 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Was there last year around Christmas time with a 2mm short-leg/long-sleeve and i was a little chilly since we had mostly overcast days with winds in the low 20's. Nice and warm on the beach but no sun and wind chill was a factor.

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostWed Nov 08, 17 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I will definitely bring a full suit as it would suck to be cold with an army of suits at home! Now if the 17th would just hurry up already!

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu Nov 23, 17 8:04 am     Reply with quote

3/2 shorty or
4/3 long pant, short sleeve worked for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: