Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Board choice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Oct 27, 17 6:20 pm    Board choice? Reply with quote

I currently have been riding a Naish haze TT. It was the first board I ever bought and has seemingly worked well for the last several years. Time for change though. I have narrowed my new board choices down to a mako or the new core fusion 3 board. Have not had a chance to ride either. I typically ride the gorge with some ocean occasionally. Any thoughts on pro/cons or which board would have the best fun factor? Thanks for any advice.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Oct 27, 17 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

for the price of the core I think you could buy another twin tip and a decent surfboard on closeout or barely used. if you are looking for a change and want to ride river swell or ocean waves you really need a surfboard. the larger makos or other "mutant" style boards are also good for making the transition from riding a twin tip to a surfboard.

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostFri Oct 27, 17 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

You should demo a bunch of boards. I have found my mako to be hard to beat for overall comfort riding, sometimes a bit bulky with my 150, but really it's a great board to have.

Thor248

Since 04 Feb 2016
11 Posts

PostSat Oct 28, 17 4:36 am     Reply with quote

Get a Bro Board.. Best of both worlds, shred swell & get sendy.

http://brokite.com/

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Oct 28, 17 6:14 am     Reply with quote

hilton wrote:
for the price of the core I think you could buy another twin tip and a decent surfboard on closeout or barely used. if you are looking for a change and want to ride river swell or ocean waves you really need a surfboard. the larger makos or other "mutant" style boards are also good for making the transition from riding a twin tip to a surfboard.

I have to offer my dissent from this common mentality. TT's work great in waves and on river swell. No question they feel vastly different, and some people (like me) may prefer a directional. But the best waverides I have ever witnessed were on a TT right infront of me in the line-up.

I will agree that you should give a directional a chance, but don't buy into the hype. Figure out what you like for yourself.

AND! You may find that you like your surfboard better than you like one of your TT's, then figure out that you like another TT better than you like your surfboard, then find another surfboard that you like the best. Different TT's will feel vastly different from each other. Different directionals will feel vastly different from each other. This does not mean you have to try everything, but be aware that there may be a better feel for you in another board down the line. But do not make the mistake of never settling on one or two boards to focus on and develop skills on.

The only skill riding different boards gives you is riding different boards. So pick a path and start down it. Give yourself a season on that board, then try something new.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Oct 28, 17 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Make sure you demo the Mako before buying. Lots of people swear by that board but it's also very unique and not for everyone.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 30, 17 7:19 am     Reply with quote

All very depends on the riding style and the direction you want to pursuit. For example I mostly go into working on freestyle tricks with some occasional kook runs through the slider park. Tried the Mako once (on a very light wind day at Sauvie) and it did feel comfortable but kind of like an old soft Cadillac instead of a small nimble sports car. I do ride some ocean swell on my TT but I'm in no way a skilled wave rider, that said the way Mako handled on the river I'd imagine it would be a really sweet board for a TT rider to play in waves.

Last edited by voy-tech on Mon Oct 30, 17 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Oct 30, 17 1:34 pm    Re: Board choice? Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
Any thoughts on pro/cons or which board would have the best fun factor? Thanks for any advice.

First and foremost you have got to ask yourself what kind of riding do you like to do and or where do you see yourself going/doing in kiting the next few years.

I've heard good things about the Mako. The Mako is more of a swell/wave TT. If your into boosting, then get a board designed to do that. If you want to get more into swell/wave riding and ride more on the river than ocean and want to dip your toes into a directional surfboard, then go for a 5'4'' or 5'6'' surfboard.

And if you have the chance to demo boards, then do it. The more info and more informed you are with respect to your riding style and how it feels to you, then better off you are.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: