Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lightest Wind You’ve Ridden on a 12m Wave?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostSat Oct 21, 17 6:04 pm    Lightest Wind You’ve Ridden on a 12m Wave? Reply with quote

Hiya. After over a year off the market due to an ACL tear, I’m headed to maui. Super stoked! Unfortunately, the wind forecast isn’t cooperating. I was planning on bringing my shin monk, my 6, 8, 10 Waves, for the legendary Maui wind.

Instead, I’m bringing my King Gee and 8, 10, 12, and I’m not even sure I will get a day in. It got me wondering. What’s the lightest wind you’ve ever been able to ride in on a 12m Wave SST?

For reference, I’m 175 lbs, and the King Gee is 145 x 45 (and very flat / floaty). I’m thinking you can *probably* “ride” in about 13mph, but it’ll be tough to stay upwind.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 21, 17 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

Time to foil!

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostSat Oct 21, 17 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

Oh man. Didn’t even think about that. Might be a good time for a foil lesson?

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Oct 22, 17 6:56 am     Reply with quote

don't forget about the morning SUP session before the wind picks up.
there's plenty to do on Maui even without wind.
rather than attempting to kite in marginal winds, just pick an activity that is better suited to the conditions.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Oct 22, 17 8:20 am     Reply with quote

If it isn't windy enough for the 12, it really isn't windy enough period. You could try to foil, but if you have not foiled yet - you will just be spending money to beat yourself to death for a few days.

There is a ton of rental stuff available if things change. You will likely be at Kanaha - if so then getting pushed down from "old mans" to "kite beach" is not a big deal - but further down is not advisable.

Lots of fun stuff to do, especially if you surf or standup

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 22, 17 10:56 am     Reply with quote

To your question, I'm your same weight with an sst quiver as well. I like 14mph or more for my 12m with a surfboard. If I had your board, a 12m sst and a full on desperation to kite Maui, I'd pump it at 12mph, hope for a wind bump and give it go! Lifes too short to sit on the beach when you can go get wet. And if you go for a swim, who frickin cares! ...then go surf.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 22, 17 7:12 pm    Re: Lightest Wind You’ve Ridden on a 12m Wave? Reply with quote

proletariat wrote:
Hiya. After over a year off the market due to an ACL tear, I’m headed to maui. Super stoked! Unfortunately, the wind forecast isn’t cooperating. I was planning on bringing my shin monk, my 6, 8, 10 Waves, for the legendary Maui wind.

Instead, I’m bringing my King Gee and 8, 10, 12, and I’m not even sure I will get a day in. It got me wondering. What’s the lightest wind you’ve ever been able to ride in on a 12m Wave SST?

For reference, I’m 175 lbs, and the King Gee is 145 x 45 (and very flat / floaty). I’m thinking you can *probably* “ride” in about 13mph, but it’ll be tough to stay upwind.

what forecast are you looking at?
i go every year this time thru thanksgiving.
i've taken a 6 but never used it. it doesn't get that windy late october/november. Guys don't use 6's on Maui.
i take 7, 9, 11 and expect to use my 7 and 9. usually only one or 2 days on the 11.
I weigh 185 and ride a surfboard.
i agree the forecasts look weak - but have faith - Maui always delivers this time of year.
Keep in mind the wind in Kihei can be good when it's squirrelly on the North shore.
Nice kite beach in Kihei on S. Kihei Road - just north of the Humpback Whale Museum, across the street from Kihei Bay Vista apartments.
Surf forecast looks really good!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Oct 23, 17 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

I've never understood the "life ends at 12 square meters" mentality. Fact is, if you're "not quite making it" on your 12M, I can hand you my 17M and you'll be smiling big time as you shred glassy slabs by yourself because the 12M crowd is on the beach complaining.

That said, body weight and board choice make a huge difference on what you can do with a 12m vs. a big kite. In any case, the forecast I just looked at didn't look too bad. If it doesn't blow, work on your surfing for sure...it's all about the waves anyway! Smile Thumb's Up

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Oct 23, 17 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
I've never understood the "life ends at 12 square meters" mentality. Fact is, if you're "not quite making it" on your 12M, I can hand you my 17M and you'll be smiling big time as you shred glassy slabs by yourself because the 12M crowd is on the beach complaining.

2nd this. Never underestimate having a big curtain in your quiver when you've already invested the effort to feel sand in your toes. For me, with my 15m I can still boost and go upwind without constantly working the window when it dips below 10 mph and can easily shed power when it gusts over 20. (I'm 195 lbs and will swap between line lengths and 61" surf to manage top and low end of ranges.)

7 - 15 = 15M Turbine
15-20 = 12M SST
20-30 = 10M SST
30+ = 8M SST

Proletariat one quick option for traveling light is bring 3M extensions for your 12M bar to give you that extra "throw" push to get your King Gee up and into apparent wind. Have fun and great to hear you're off the DL! Very Happy

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 24, 17 5:45 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Sella"]
Wind Slither wrote:
I've never understood the "life ends at 12 square meters" mentality. Very Happy

Agree... sorta

I went through several permutations of the "Fat Lady" and the "Fly" era... after some years on my 16m and a Glide. On our beach in Mexico this is a requirement, but almost always required taxi fare for the walk-of-shame.
Game Changer? Foil!
I am so damn happy with life now that foils have come along. 10.4 is my biggest kite. Pushing the low-wind down to 8mph on days when I would usually just order another cervesa. Crazy thing is I am now kinda preferring winds that are lighter. And, many times this past summer I would have big plans for a 4 hour drive to Hood River... and then on Thursday I'll get a local great session and lose the juice to bother with the drive.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostThu Oct 26, 17 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

Update: On Maui now. 100% skunked. Got one day where the kite almost stayed in the air, and made a couple of turns before kite fell out of the sky. Going home tomorrow. Today was the best shot, but so much debris from the giant thunderstorm that knocked out power on the islands few days ago, that It wasn’t okay to go out. Not a single kite in The sky.

Also, I turned in my big kites a few years back. 21m Speed3 was the biggest I went. It is just too dodgy for inland winds, whereas I can almost always hold down a 12m. The 14 was my last big one and, if we are being honest, I have chosen to go when I shouldn’t have because of that kite, then paid the price for it.

Anyway, OBX skunk 2016, Maui skunk 2017. I am officially a cooler. I’ll let you guys know when I come to the Gorge so you can plan a week of collating loose leaf paper or building card houses. Smile.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 27, 17 6:01 am     Reply with quote

Been there, done that too. Went to Maui for 10 days in May one year- never flew a kite one day. But that’s the deal when we fly for wind. At least in Maui there’s so many other cool things to do. Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: