Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North Oregon Coast Monday & Tuesday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Sep 11, 17 8:21 am    North Oregon Coast Monday & Tuesday Reply with quote

I'm at Manzanita to escape the smoke in Hood River for a few days (maybe more). Where would you try between Fort Stevens and Netarts? I've only ridden at Manzanita and Fort Stevens so far. I've got 6-12m kites and would prefer to avoid heavy shore break.

Thanks!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 11, 17 9:35 am    Re: North Oregon Coast Monday & Tuesday Reply with quote

Hazard to Navigation wrote:
I'm at Manzanita to escape the smoke in Hood River for a few days (maybe more). Where would you try between Fort Stevens and Netarts? I've only ridden at Manzanita and Fort Stevens so far. I've got 6-12m kites and would prefer to avoid heavy shore break.

Thanks!

If it ain't, don't fix it. Manzo is a steeper beach and so the waves close much quicker and so there can be/is a heavier break/wave. Lot B down to Seaside in essence is basically a river delta. . . the Columbia dumps out all its water and its sediments into the ocean and around the surrounding areas. Just look at the sand color an aggregate size of the sand. It is much more coarse and darker in color than say sand at Manzo; the sand at Manzo is just like powdered sugar. Get your kite wet and roll in up after your session in the dry sand and you'll have a cinnamon roll.

All that said, the beaches from Lot B to Seaside have a lot less slope to them (rise over run). At points, one can walk out into the ocean for 100 yards, maybe more, and it might be chest high. So the beach break and reform of the broken waves are much less powerful. I think this also translates to a more mushier/closeout type of wave.

Swell size forecasted is bigger than what has transpired most of this summer, so the outside break at Manzo probably will have some double overhead waves to contend with.

"Bird in-hand is better than two in the bush" they say. Or got wind, why travel? I'd stay at Manzo for the early session, and if you have not gotten enough, go up to lot B for the late afternoon session; 45 miles of travel. Or for a bit a time savings and most likely lighter wind, hit Sunset beach access and park and ride right from the beach. This time of year the winds are shutting down earlier and earlier.

Have fun.

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Sep 11, 17 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

Manzo ended up being great today! I was out on my 8m from about 4-6pm, really nice! I ended up stashing my stuff and walking 1.6 miles back to my car, but it was well worth it. Thanks for the tips!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 18, 17 12:49 pm    Re: North Oregon Coast Monday & Tuesday Reply with quote

Hazard to Navigation wrote:

Thanks!

I'd go for an Oceanside to Netarts downwinder today. It probably will be boring as you most likely missed all of the water spouts today Shocked Razz Laughing Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=JhMnSd2SZXY

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Sep 18, 17 8:11 pm     Reply with quote

I was able to kite at Manzo on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday last week, it was pretty good! I tried on Tuesday, but didn't have much luck. I had event work in Salem for the weekend, then we drove back to Hood River today. It's great to be home with good air quality. Hoping to kite here or to the east tomorrow and Wednesday.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Sep 19, 17 6:49 am     Reply with quote

Yesterday was great at Rufus. Sunny and steady. Feel like getting out today?

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: