Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

East Wind Downwinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
JustSoar

Since 21 Jun 2016
26 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSat Aug 26, 17 9:32 am    East Wind Downwinder Reply with quote

Hey,

Tomorrow, 8/27, looks like a solid AM Easterly day.

So, I've done the Viento to HR several times during the Westerlies. But, I am curious if people downwind from Stevenson to Rooster?? Any input or east wind downwinder recommendations are welcome!!

Also, anyone interested??

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 26, 17 9:38 am     Reply with quote

Well unless you are good at boosting bonneville dam, their security and a few hungry seanlion you cannnot make it. East wind does not make it over the dam and there is a weak section of wind before the beastie easties return at dalton. We have done dalton to rooster. Have to make a loop to pick up your car!

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 26, 17 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

The best easterly downwinder is from Home Valley to Stevenson.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Aug 26, 17 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

Make sure to take footage of your massive boost over the dam. Post it here.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 26, 17 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

Dalton Point to Rooster. Rig to the east of the parking lot in the cove and don't leave valuables in the car.

JustSoar

Since 21 Jun 2016
26 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSat Aug 26, 17 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

Haha, that's ridiculous, I'm a goon. Sorry, I did not think that through regarding the dam! Thanks so much for all the input!!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 28, 17 7:48 am     Reply with quote

+1 for Dalton Point to Rooster
I think it's time to repeat a group downwinder we did 2 years ago: https://vimeo.com/141380833

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 17 9:28 am    yep Reply with quote

+1 for Dalton to Rooster--used to do it often, you could probably post up at Rooster and find people willing to do the 'winder with you.

I think Home Valley to Stevie is less consistent with a shadowed launch, and it's shorter it seems to me

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 17 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:
The best easterly downwinder is from Home Valley to Stevenson.

Certainly would be my top choice. Both (Dalton/Rooster, Home Valley/Stevenson) have pro's and con's. I agree with Airon on the wind consistency issue at Home Valley. Not so much that the wind sucks there, as it can be quite good, but it can be a full kite size lighter at Home Valley than it is at Stevenson. We've done the downwinder many times, and usually try to time it so that the wind has already peaked for the day, so hopefully we arrive at Stevenson on the right kite size. If you're not (too small), and you miss the point for landing, just continue downwind to creek & sandbar by the railroad bridge. Its easy to self-land there, then walk out whichever way you want (you should stay off the tracks though).

For what its worth, while I've never *officially* done the downwinder from Dalton, I have kited upwind to Phoca Rock, which is close to the Dalton launch. Honestly, for me, by the time you get organized, get the shuttle cars worked out, get your turn for a launch, hit Rooster, then pack up and catch a ride back to your car at Dalton, I think you could have pretty much just launched from Rooster and kited upwind to nearly the same spot and back. Regardless, you'll probably have pretty much the same wind conditions start to finish.

Home Valley downwinder has an island on the Washington side that was fun to squeak past. Pretty good options to get out if you miss the beach at Stevenson. Dalton downwinder has these cool cliffs on the Washington side that you can kite right up to. Don't miss Rooster Rock beach... not really any good options if you do, plus there's a shark habitat just to the west.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: