Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SS Hoverglide mast compatible wings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 14, 17 7:00 am    SS Hoverglide mast compatible wings? Reply with quote

I've been enjoying the SS hoverglide setup as I learn basic foil skills. I'm now interested in going strapless but find the weight of the hoverglide front wing a real hindrance here. What lighter wings are compatible with the hoverglide masts? I do appreciate having different, inexpensive mast length options depending on where I'm foiling. Thanks for any tips. Cheers!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 14, 17 7:22 am     Reply with quote

The wings are not the issue. It's the aluminum mast. I see foilers more skilled than me water starting them strapless all the time, regardless. I've moved to a Ghost Whisper which darn near floats. I have a few water starts under my belt. Not easy for me. It much easier than aluminum mast which sinks immediately.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 14, 17 9:35 am     Reply with quote

http://www.jimstringfellow.com/Site/home.html

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 14, 17 10:40 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
The wings are not the issue. It's the aluminum mast. I see foilers more skilled than me water starting them strapless all the time, regardless. I've moved to a Ghost Whisper which darn near floats. I have a few water starts under my belt. Not easy for me. It much easier than aluminum mast which sinks immediately.

This is also my "problem" with my strapless waterstart efforts. I have the 2017 LF aluminum mast which sinks in a milli-second while attempting strapless.
Options:
A. Find a video and learn to strapless waterstart after the board is flat on the water?
B. Find a carbon mast with the same fuselage two-bolt pattern as the LF so I can stick with my favorite wings?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 14, 17 11:42 am     Reply with quote

Stringy to the rescue!

20664723_10154900683824352_7645119169125182733_n (Custom).jpg 

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 15, 17 6:38 am     Reply with quote

I'm definitely gonna look into Stingy's wings. They look sweet. Has anyone found any carbon wings that would work?

Nak- Where'd you get the gw mast? I don't find it online.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 15, 17 7:32 am     Reply with quote

while a lighter setup will help, it's not a game breaker. I use aluminum mast setups when I go strapless. I also use a paipo for strapless riding. I used to ride a lib tech so I know even bouyant boards will work strapless.
The HG comes in at 11.5 pounds. I have been able to shave off 2 pounds by using my own wings, fuselage and baseplate with that mast. the mast is heavy but it is a very nice riding mast. plus it just pushes the floating debris aside with no damage to the leading edge.
the pic nak posted is actually a modified GW. this was a setup I was tinkering with over the weekend. I was curious how my wings would perform on a GW so I made a fuselage to fit my wings to the GW mast. the fuselage is made of G10 and unfortunately did not hold up to my testing so will go back to an aluminum fuselage.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 15, 17 9:22 am     Reply with quote

My solution for riding my original LF tank foil strapless is to add a handle, makes things so easy. This is for hands only, feet never go in it and it lays flat on the deck when wet.

IMG_4735s.jpg 

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 15, 17 11:37 am     Reply with quote

caps wrote:

Nak- Where'd you get the gw mast? I don't find it online.
That was a pic that Stringy posted on Facebook. However, it looks like Slingy will have lots of mast options soon. I found this pic online, it's from Europe. I'm guessing we're about to see this soon here...

2018-slingshot-foil-system (Custom).jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: