Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Even Site Kite Culture
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 11:12 pm     Reply with quote

I should, however, apologize for hijacking the thread and changing the subject. That's an internet faux pas that is intergenerational - the digital equivalent of walking up and pissing on te campfire. Embarassed Laughing

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Jun 22, 17 11:30 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I’m one of the locals who spend a lot of time launching, landing, and dishing out advice at the ES.
I also spend a lot of time schmoozing. I’ve made a lot of great connections at the ES.
For some people launching at the Event Site is a high anxiety event.
They’re nervous about the swirly wind and anxious because they think everyone is watching and judging them.
Added on top of that are stress inducers such as family vacation dynamics, my boyfriend is forcing me to launch here, and locals trying to get a quick sesh before or after work…. It’s a recipe for high anxiety.
Most of the confrontations are centered around the launch and finding a place to pump and layout lines.
Nervous and anxious people tend to lash out with emotion.
I find it’s easy to spot these people. They won’t be smiling – they’ll look serious and nervous.
I watch people standing in the water when launching - totally forgetting to give the thumbs up. They just stand there and shake with anxiety.
I take extra time to communicate with them regarding the launch protocol.
I ask permission to offer advice before I give it.
I try to make them feel welcome and safe – “get your kite over the water and body drag out to the buoys” – “I won’t let go of your kite until I feel it’s powered up” - “walk out to the chest deep water before we launch”.
I’ve had good experiences when I approach people in this manner.
I can honestly say that 100% of the people I encounter with a negative attitude are nervous and anxious about their ability to launch and feel that everyone is watching and judging them.

Regarding the local cliques – bring a 12 pack down the next time you kite – I’m guessing you’ll make a lot of friends who won’t forget your name.

Spot on.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jun 23, 17 6:39 am     Reply with quote

LOL, it's called "Gorge-atude" and it's been around since the '80's. But keep in mind, nobody with Gorge-atude is actually from the Gorge. Very Happy

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 23, 17 8:51 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I’m one of the locals who spend a lot of time launching, landing, and dishing out advice at the ES.
I also spend a lot of time schmoozing. I’ve made a lot of great connections at the ES.
For some people launching at the Event Site is a high anxiety event.
They’re nervous about the swirly wind and anxious because they think everyone is watching and judging them.
Added on top of that are stress inducers such as family vacation dynamics, my boyfriend is forcing me to launch here, and locals trying to get a quick sesh before or after work…. It’s a recipe for high anxiety.
Most of the confrontations are centered around the launch and finding a place to pump and layout lines.
Nervous and anxious people tend to lash out with emotion.
I find it’s easy to spot these people. They won’t be smiling – they’ll look serious and nervous.
I watch people standing in the water when launching - totally forgetting to give the thumbs up. They just stand there and shake with anxiety.
I take extra time to communicate with them regarding the launch protocol.
I ask permission to offer advice before I give it.
I try to make them feel welcome and safe – “get your kite over the water and body drag out to the buoys” – “I won’t let go of your kite until I feel it’s powered up” - “walk out to the chest deep water before we launch”.
I’ve had good experiences when I approach people in this manner.
I can honestly say that 100% of the people I encounter with a negative attitude are nervous and anxious about their ability to launch and feel that everyone is watching and judging them.

Regarding the local cliques – bring a 12 pack down the next time you kite – I’m guessing you’ll make a lot of friends who won’t forget your name.

Just echoing Kraemer on this being spot on ldhr...

I was unnecessarily wax-poetic-philosophical on my initial post about human nature, but it really just distils down to emotional intelligence. Unfortunately, EI isn't taught in school...yet.

navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostTue Jul 11, 17 5:06 pm    re: ES 'tude Reply with quote

I don't know but as HR resident and 3rd yr kiter here I would say less then 10% of peeps at the ES are douches. As for cliques, there are clearly very experienced long time kiters who may seem reserved or a bit standoffish but if you approach them respectfully, they are actually awesome and full of good pointers. I spent a fair chunk of my first summer at Lyle and this was pretty sweet as there was a "clique" of us newbies getting humbled by the usual beginner mistakes and bonded over that.
Just be accepting and helpful, i think that's the best you can do.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 16, 17 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

Basis for my response: I have lived at a ski area for 20 years, and I mean I built a house, have lived full time, am raising a family, been involved in home owners assoc, fire departments, elections ect. So read the whole thing....

HR is a ski town, in some ways its the whistler village of Kiting. It has always been like this it seems. There is a huge Bro Braw scene. I don't want my children and wife go to the event site for fear of them being yelled at and therefor never wanting to be in hood river. They are comfortable with the ski culture because they know where they sit in the pecking order and culture. My wife has found that a lot of of the personalities are elitist and rude, unfriendly and not accommodating.

Every time I have kited in HR at the ES I have left with a bad taste in my month. I have been kiting for much longer than most.

HOWEVER: As in any SKI community I have found that the people that truly live there are different than and are blamed for the culture that is created by "locals" that are seasonal. Not the ones that have been there for 20, 30 or longer years. HR is super mellow after Sept 5.

For instance: Riding at post canyon this really nice women in a Green forest service surplus truck saw my kiddo pedaling to the top at the age of 7 and offered him and I a Ride. She said she has raised her family in HR for ever. She was sweet, inviting, generous and had a huge smile on her face. She talked for several mins with my 7 year old about where he was from and he thought it was super cool she lived there with her boys.

We as a ski community where I live have seen the culture change and change, In fact we were such a small town we didn't know we had a culture. We, the true locals are fighting this battle.

Earlier in this post someone had mentioned that they spend a lot of time catching, landing, explaining, smiling, calming, counseling ect. These are the true ambassadors of the town, these are the faces you want in the community, they make things go round. I admit hit has taken me 20 years, 3 little boys, a amazing patrol director for years, and a wonderful wife to show me that I too am a elitist snob who acts like a baboon and I get extremely irritated with people who are a part of the culture who can't tell you where the church is, name anyone who has been in town for more than 20 years and has yet to be to a funeral for a long loved local. Now you don't have to be one of these people to be a local. But unfortunately our culture is changing, and truly great ambassadors are far and few between.

Learning is scary, kiting is dangerous when there are lots of people in one area that don't know how to kite. Infact HR ES to me is like putting a Expert only Terrain park in a bunny run with lessons going. ITs going to be all but impossible to manage, emotions are not in check, people are nervous, scared and full of anxiety. Fortunately, schools like Tonyas hire people with excellent personalities and they are super respectful and great instructors. I have sent several friends to her specifically and really like how her school and the others also help with explaining the do's and don'ts of the kiting culture as they manage the clients emotions and teach.

My guess is that the dick bag that called the guys girlfriend bitch or what ever is some prick from out of town or rents in the summer and most likely doesn't represent the people that actually vote in local elections if you know what I mean.

Its a tough battle to change a culture. Infact in my community theres one and its like watching a TV reality show. As a patroller on powder days as were doing control work I have seen people do and say some incredibly shitty things to there fellow man. Its not a fun scene all the time. But not everyone in line is a shit bag, and we rely on the true ambassadors, the true locals to lead and guide that culture as we rely on them in the community as well.

The true ambassadors, like the gentleman "IDHR" above showed be thanked for they are trying to guide the culture and give it a face. I have found that some reputations are not deserving for they are not as bad as they seem, and that we don't celebrate the true ambassadors as we should. For instance: some people think the guy that taught me to kite is a dick, I find him to be loyal and a excellent instructor who just happens to be a former hockey player from Detroit that suffers from painfully accurate engineer syndrome...... and I love him for it. Keep on keeping on.....I will give the ES another shot, sounds like there are some good ambassadors like IDHR around.

Just my thoughts as I sit at work.....

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 16, 17 10:41 pm    culture Reply with quote

I am not a local so my 0.02 cents may not count....I live a couple hours east of Hood River and I typically make the drive to kite anytime there is wind. I have been kiting for only about 4 years so my perspective is different. I love Hood and I love the ES. I have never met anyone rude nor have I ever had a bad experience. People have always been so friendly and helpful. I have made many friends. So much stoke has been given to me I always try to go the extra mile in making sure I give back in some capacity. My family typically comes when I kite also and they love everything about Hood and the ES

I think a few bad apples definitely ruin for a lot of people...

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 17 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Simple, just stay in washington Very Happy

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Jul 17, 17 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Or just show up with like 100 cold beers and start handing them out🤙🏽

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 17, 17 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="stevegriffith22"]

HR ES to me is like putting a Expert only Terrain park in a bunny run with lessons going[/u]. ITs going to be all but impossible to manage, emotions are not in check, people are nervous, scared and full of anxiety.

The best description of the event site I've seen.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 19, 17 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

Never knew HR was a SKI town, Mount Hood not really being that great, frankly (and I miss the days when it opened at 8 and didn't cost a fortune).

So funny to see these descriptions. "Vibe", "attitude"... whatever. I lived in HR for over a decade and grew tired of it (winters) and now just come back to kite in the summer, mostly. It's still like a homecoming running into friends all over town, but few folks I really know in the kiting 'scene'.

I show up, pump up, run lines, launch a few, ask for a launch, ride upwind for a while and have fun, come back down, say thanks and wrap my lines, land a few, and sometimes stick around and chat a little (friends and strangers) but mostly go home. Been doing this for years. Have seen a few 'episodes', been subject to some kook moves (fortunately not many of my own, but nobody is truly immune), and watched cliquey people do their cliquey things (like everywhere else I've kited, for the most part).

Last time out was crowded, lines sitting out on one kite with just about the only open space near it, so I asked around whose kite it was, so I could offer to launch them and take the space. Nobody knew. After a while I ran my lines, but ended up launching quite a few folks upon request. Looked back to find my lines tripped over and tangled, then later some dude showed up and bitched me out for laying my lines over his. He had just came back from the ES to go out again... wrap your freaking lines, dude! He then tangled them again by pulling them out of the way after I'd set them down to launch someone else. Bastard!

So there I am wasting over a half-hour untangling lines. Frustrating - I wanted to be riding. A woman walked by and asked me if I needed help. Bonnie, her name is, said she had no experience untangling lines but it looked like I needed help so what could she do. For quite some time she held lines up and apart while I un-weaved the (5-line) mess, and we chatted. I had been ready to give up and go home pissed off, but this wonderful woman gave her time unselfishly, and I had a fantastic session as a result.

Thank you Bonnie, for your wonderful 'tude'! We need more of that everywhere, not just at the Event Site.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jul 20, 17 8:31 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Thank you Bonnie, for your wonderful 'tude'! We need more of that everywhere, not just at the Event Site.

Sounds like the same Bonnie I know and she spends her summers in HR and winters in La Ventana with her Gorge family (IdahoR8fan) who are the funniest and nicest people you'll ever meet. Get to know them better if you can because they always bring out a smile.

The growth of women kiteboarders may be the fastest growing demographic and best trend the sport has going for it and thankfully the females have become a much larger % and saving grace of the ES scene the past few years IMO.

Regardless of gender you have to admit it takes a special kind of person to become a kiteboarder and when so many tourists come visit the Mecca of all outdoor activity towns and watch these ladies exude confidence and fun stoke it's powerful. My 7-year old daughter will be part of the next generation because she watches the girls rigging and ALWAYS asks me when she can learn to kite without fail. I've tracked it and it's only the girls who trigger her interest so once I can get her mother past the body dragging threshold it's go time and I guarantee you the first thing she'll learn is to roll up her lines! Very Happy

Seriously people, if you not launching or landing please roll that shit up as it keeps the peace!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 20, 17 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Seriously people, if you not launching or landing please roll that shit up as it keeps the peace!

Word!

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Jul 20, 17 10:24 am     Reply with quote

What an absolute gem the ES is....imagine the kiting scene in the Gorge without it!!

Steve had quite a lengthy post about how long you have to live in a place to be considered a true "local". How bout being "born there"? Otherwise everyone else is simply a visitor, and should conduct themselves as such....sorry I don't buy that "ski town" analogy Steve, doesn't matter if it is 20 days or 20 years.....

There is a saying, "don't worry about the locals, they're friendly; it's the local haoles you have to keep an eye on".

As for the ES, there are hundreds of kiters launching and landing daily. Of course, there will be incidents, and there will be confrontations, but taken as a whole, it's amazing that it "works" so well for so many. Reading the posts on this thread reinforces that notion.

Personally I just spent two weeks in Hood River and kited everyday: ES, WS bridge, and Rufus. Like any spot I've ever kited, there were courteous kiters and NOT SO, at each location. Quite specifically at the ES: I borrowed gear, I lent gear; I launched and landed kites and had others do the same for me; I got offered a cold one, and offered a cold one; I got invited to a BBQ, and was offered a ride across bridge when my kite "exploded". I was overwhelmed with the friendliness and the tremendous atmosphere of the place.

Of course I met a few flustered, hurried, aggravated kiters as well; some "local" some NOT. I looked at it as being the exception to the norm and not the reverse, simply by noticing the amount of smiles versus the amount of frowns.

Happy Kiting, help others and keep smiling at the ES.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 21, 17 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

My Bad, I wasn't trying to offend, just defend the town. I should have written my post better. As reference to HR being a Ski town, I meant it to come across that: it seems to me that most recreationally based towns all seem to have similar attributes. Some good and some bad, and I try to just treat everyone the same no matter where I'm at. Be kind, be helpful, realize that sometimes its not your day, show people around ect. If not familiar with local customs, I try to help guide people in making good friendly decisions. There are "A" holes everywhere. I just try to avoid them.

Happy Days,

Cheers.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 07, 17 10:47 pm     Reply with quote

I understand how some people may be intimidated by the Event Site scene, but I would NEVER call it aggro.

Slashing tires? Laughable. You have a long way to go before it becomes a Lunada Bay scene.

"You gotta give respect to get respect"

And please, let's not worry about who is local-ier than thou. Its how you treat people that matters. In 4 full years of living in HR, I found the people who live there year-round to be very approachable and down to earth. If there were any people with attitudes or preconceptions (which I only saw a handful of times), they were visitors or temporary tenants.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: