Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Way to go Ken and Sky!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 31, 17 5:38 pm    Way to go Ken and Sky! Reply with quote

Even I knew the completely revamped and bridled Rebel was a terrible idea and I'm just an idiot. I mean it makes perfect sense to take a product that has been honed over a decade and completely change it to try to make more money. Now all of the demo people getting off the water today say the kite is unimpressive. Two thumbs up for you guys!

And yes I have been (or was) a dedicated Rebel guy since 2008.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Jul 31, 17 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

At least you won't be cutting your kites in half in the surf. I have been
On neos for the last few seasons and the safety system works exactly the same as the 5 line. I literally cut 2 rebels clean in half in huge waves. Maybe any kite would of broke but the 5th line cut the kite so cleanly in half that only the leading edge was still there. I have done similar things with my Neo and it is still in one piece.

I think the whole deal with the fifth line was to provide stability to the leading edge. Now that they can do it with bridals more efficiently. Not sure on performance of the new rebel but all the guys that I know that ride them are so bummed that they aren't 5 lines anymore. I think they may of lost some customers on this one.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 31, 17 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

I appreciate the optimism but I've never cut a Rebel in two. I might tonight. The 5th line provides performance, stability, a huge wind range, safety, incredible relaunch. Time will tell.....

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 31, 17 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

There is a name for a bridled Rebel... it's called a Fuse!

I'll have to check it out myself. Been alternately impressed and disappointed with Rebel undulations for years (and as a friend, I respect Ken's passion for kiting's development). I recently switched to Pivots because they drift better for playing in the swell, and the Rebels have always been a "brute force" kite in my opinion (girls that I know have hated them for their bar pressure and reach, though yes, I know that's adjustable).

Now the 2012 Rebel is one of the best jumping kites I've ever flown, 2014 was impressive as well. The Pivots have disappointed me in the low end so I am DYING to try a Neo when the swell kicks back up.

By the way, let me know if you're in the market for a gently-used Fuse quiver... Wink

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 01, 17 7:21 am     Reply with quote

I got a 2013 7M in great shape for sale.
5 line Rebel lovers should stock up on spare kites - they don't make 'em anymore!
http://nwkite.com/forums/post-223276.html#223276

The new Rebel can be setup as 4 or 5 line.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Aug 01, 17 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

According to this you can still fly it with 5 lines.

https://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2397038&p=983422

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: