Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: iSUP valve blasts hard fought air back at me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 20, 17 10:17 am    OT: iSUP valve blasts hard fought air back at me... Reply with quote

I have a rigid SUP and an inflatable SUP. I like them both. I use the iSUP more, though, because it's no hassle, easy to transport, great for dogs and kids alike.

I hate pumping it up. I pretty much leave it inflated. That said, sometimes I have to pack it down and when I do pump it up, there is an annoying trait I can't work around...

...the valve twists to the "open" setting when I attach the hose. (This is the depressed setting that locks the valve open) This doesn't cause a problem for pumping, only when you remove the hose. As you may know, those last 5-10 psi are the most earned that you put into the SUP. To have that air blow back at you as you remove the damn hose is annoying, to put it mildly. God help anyone who walks up and tries to talk to me after the 2nd or 3rd time this has occurred. The kids have learned, the dog has kind of figured it out, the wife still comes up and says things like, "Why are you still pumping that up? We have to go." It's not pretty.

Upon removing the hose, I usually scramble to get that thing twisted counter clockwise as quickly as possible but I still lose at least 5 psi (taking it down to 10 psi or less from the 15 psi finish).

Then, randomly, sometimes when I remove the hose it stays in the closed position and all is good in the world.

Am I missing something obvious regarding how you go about inflating these things so the valve stays closed? Thanks in advance for any advice.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostThu Jul 20, 17 10:47 am     Reply with quote

I've experienced that. Sometimes valve can stay open after hose removal.

Try removing the hose quickly with a counterclockwise twisting motion intended to shut valve as hose comes out. I've found doing it quickly forces valve shut.

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 4:29 pm    Re: OT: iSUP valve blasts hard fought air back at me... Reply with quote

toddjb wrote:
...the valve twists to the "open" setting when I attach the hose. (This is the depressed setting that locks the valve open) This doesn't cause a problem for pumping, only when you remove the hose.

Then, randomly, sometimes when I remove the hose it stays in the closed position and all is good in the world.

Am I missing something obvious regarding how you go about inflating these things so the valve stays closed? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I used to work for a leading iSUP manufacture, so I think I may be able to help you out. That valve is a common Halkey-Roberts type valve (I stress the word "type") which is ubiquitous amongst iSUPs. When inflating, the valve's center button needs to be in the extended/closed position (not depressed). You're stating that the insertion of the pump attachment is depressing this center button and turning it to the open position. This should NOT be happening... unless.

The first thing that comes to mind is the pump attachment you're using is from another manufacture. As stressed above, "type" of valve can vary from brand to brand. The inside diameter of the pump attachment should be "floating" freely around that center button while still allowing the two hook prongs on the pump attachment to engage and lock into the valve without making contact with or depressing that center button. If the pump attachment is making contact, then bingo that's your problem.

The second possibility is there's some obstruction(s) (dirt, clay, broken or worn plastic?) inside the pump attachment causing it to make contact and depress & twist the center button open. If so, then clean or replace.
Some pump attachments may have a small crossbar of plastic inside that can make contact and engage that center button. If so, that bar needs to be removed/cut out to work properly on your valve.

The bottom line is that pump attachment is not working correctly with that valve and it should be replaced with one that fits and behaves like I stated above. Best is to get one from the manufacture, but depending on how old it is, the manufacture may have changed theirs, so still no guarantee and may require to test a few out till you find one that works correctly.

Example: I was given one of these to try out and it did not fit the valve on my iSUP, so it's a perfect example of the variation within these valve types.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/HP-SUP-Valve#.WXFILLGZOLI

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 21, 17 6:58 am    Re: OT: iSUP valve blasts hard fought air back at me... Reply with quote

patdaniels wrote:
...Try removing the hose quickly with a counterclockwise twisting motion intended to shut valve as hose comes out. I've found doing it quickly forces valve shut.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Da Yoda wrote:
I used to work for a leading iSUP manufacture, so I think I may be able to help you out...

The first thing that comes to mind is the pump attachment you're using is from another manufacture. As stressed above, "type" of valve can vary from brand to brand. The inside diameter of the pump attachment should be "floating" freely around that center button while still allowing the two hook prongs on the pump attachment to engage and lock into the valve without making contact with or depressing that center button. If the pump attachment is making contact, then bingo that's your problem.

Good info all around. While I am using the pump & house that came with the iSUP, perhaps its not a perfect fit. I'll check that closely. I figured it was all standard and if one hose fits, any hose should fit. Clearly not the case.

Will take a closer look.

That SS attachment you posted is a nice idea if it works. That would certainly make inflating less of a chore!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 21, 17 7:50 am     Reply with quote

That Slingshot valve adapter is the bomb!!!! Works great; every iSup should come with one. I use my full size shop compressor to pump up both Sup's before heading down to the lake. Takes about a minute each.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: