Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

$25 sports equipment fee Alaska

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 19, 17 8:20 pm    $25 sports equipment fee Alaska Reply with quote

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/sports-equipment-update/

It just got better going to Mexico.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

Is that +$25 on top of the $25 for a checked bag or just $25?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 20, 17 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Alaska is the best hands down!

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

Seems odd that the following gear is NOT listed...

Skimboards
Wakeboards/Wakeskates/Twintip Kiteboards
Hydrofoils
Kiteboarding Kites
Kayaks/Canoes
Paddleboard, Sailboard, and Kayak/Canoe maximum dimension restrictions.

I'll give them credit for stepping into the 21st century, but until the items above are listed, I'm not going to give them my business.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 20, 17 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Da Yoda wrote:
Seems odd that the following gear is NOT listed...

Skimboards
Wakeboards/Wakeskates/Twintip Kiteboards
Hydrofoils
Kiteboarding Kites
Kayaks/Canoes
Paddleboard, Sailboard, and Kayak/Canoe maximum dimension restrictions.

I'll give them credit for stepping into the 21st century, but until the items above are listed, I'm not going to give them my business.

Why would you not give them your business?
Even if the $25 doesn't apply to kiteboards they're still the cheapest ($75 for my 6 foot long bag with 49.9 pounds of gear). Many times they charge only $50 and twice in the past 3 years they charged nothing at all as it was the only bag I was checking. I do have an Alaska credit card....

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Why would you not give them your business?
Even if the $25 doesn't apply to kiteboards they're still the cheapest ($75 for my 6 foot long bag with 49.9 pounds of gear). Many times they charge only $50 and twice in the past 3 years they charged nothing at all as it was the only bag I was checking. I do have an Alaska credit card....

I'd give them my business for work purposes, just not play. Unless the items above are included, then I would entertain them for play travel. Generally I try to avoid bringing my gear due to fear and past issues with it getting destroyed or lost by the bag handlers. The new $25 fee does allow one to retain more $$$ for repair or replacement, so I guess that would give some more piece of mind.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 20, 17 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

My wife and I have flown Alaska to Baja and Maui approximately 12 times in the past 7 years with kite gear including kites, surfboards, and a couple of times a small sup.
Round trip that's ~24 flights times 2 people = 48 baggage checkins.
We've experienced zero damage, delays, or lost items. 100% satisfaction.
A few years ago I was so impressed by their overall service and fair treatment of their employees I bought stock in the company. One ofthe best investments I ever made.

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Did a little digging and found these details...

For surfboards and paddleboards:
One item of surfing or paddle equipment is defined as a surfboard or paddleboard case with up to two boards inside. On Alaska Airlines flights operated with 737 or Airbus aircraft the equipment may measure a maximum 115" (9 ft., 7 in.) in length alone. On Alaska Airlines flights 2000-2999 and 3330-3499 the maximum combined dimensions may not exceed 115" (linear).

For kayaks/canoes:
Kayaks are not included. However they can still be checked for $75, but are not accepted on flights operated by Horizon or SkyWest.

Note: Inflatable paddleboards and kayaks/canoes of any size are allowed.

jcarlson

Since 10 Jun 2006
12 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Jul 20, 17 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

I recently found out Delta charges $150 for skis. American charges same as normal bags if under 50lb. And includes boot bag with ski bag as one checked item. Fee difference could be bigger than fair difference. 🙃

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Jul 25, 17 8:38 am     Reply with quote

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/hawaiian-and-alaska-just-made-life-a-lot-easier-for-surfers-major-airlines-adjust-surfboard-policy_148517/

I have opened my bag so many times for Hawaiian and they always charge you. Now they still charge you but not an extra fee per board. Check out their lame excuse, "we used to charge more to encourage people to only have one board per bag because multiple boards are easier to damage". I wish these airlines would just admit they are screwing us then move on.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 25, 17 9:18 am     Reply with quote

During a work travel I had to carry an oversize+overweight (98lb) case with some work equipment.

Delta charged me $400 ($200 for size + $200 for weight).
Alaska charges me $50 for the same case.
Short summary: Delta never saw me again Wink

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jul 25, 17 10:23 am     Reply with quote

My post the the comments on the initial linked page bout kiteboarding gear got the response of "see the checked bag requirements."

Those state that if it's less than 115 inches, long (no width restriction was stated) then it counts as a standard piece. I think keeping it under 50lbs gives you a pretty ironclad case that it falls within the $25 fee range.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 25, 17 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Hulk wrote:
My post the the comments on the initial linked page bout kiteboarding gear got the response of "see the checked bag requirements."

Those state that if it's less than 115 inches, long (no width restriction was stated) then it counts as a standard piece. I think keeping it under 50lbs gives you a pretty ironclad case that it falls within the $25 fee range.

the 115 applies to max size for carry-on.
45 linear inches (24 x 17 x 10 in) or 115 centimeters (61 x 43 x 25 cm) including handles and wheels.

the oversize limit for checked bags is as follow.
if your bag is over this size Alaska has the right to charge $75
Maximum dimensions: 62 inches or 157 centimeters (length + width + height)
Maximum weight: 50 pounds or 23 kilograms

according to these rules - a golf bag could be charged $75 as the dimensions are over 62". My wife's surf bag is exactly 60" long to fit her 5'0" board. She is always charged $25 but we could not complain if they charged $75. My bag which is 6 feet - I get charged $75.

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jul 25, 17 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
the 115 applies to max size for carry-on.
45 linear inches (24 x 17 x 10 in) or 115 centimeters (61 x 43 x 25 cm) including handles and wheels.

the oversize limit for checked bags is as follow.
if your bag is over this size Alaska has the right to charge $75
Maximum dimensions: 62 inches or 157 centimeters (length + width + height)
Maximum weight: 50 pounds or 23 kilograms

according to these rules - a golf bag could be charged $75 as the dimensions are over 62". My wife's surf bag is exactly 60" long to fit her 5'0" board. She is always charged $25 but we could not complain if they charged $75. My bag which is 6 feet - I get charged $75.

I asked specifically about kite gear and they pointed me here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/special-baggage/traveling-with-sporting-equipment.aspx

From the above link: One item of surfing or paddle equipment is defined as a surfboard or paddleboard case with up to two boards inside. On Alaska Airlines flights operated with 737 or Airbus aircraft the equipment may measure a maximum 115" (9 ft., 7 in.) in length alone. On Alaska Airlines flights 2000-2999 and 3330-3499 the maximum combined dimensions may not exceed 115" (linear).

Even by the standard you quoted, a 155cm kite bag, if under 50lbs, would qualify for the $25 fee (I use this example because it's the size of my kite travel bag).

Under the new policy, your 6'0 surf bag should fly for $25 as well

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 25, 17 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hulk - thanks!
Either way Alaska is a great deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: