Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Roadtripping down the PNW with my foil and surfboard!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bletti

Since 16 Jul 2017
10 Posts

PostTue Jul 18, 17 4:04 pm    Roadtripping down the PNW with my foil and surfboard! Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a Canadian who left my engineering job and motorcycled down the west coast to panama then sailed crewing on sailboats across the pacific to Australia where I traveled around on my motorcycle with kites and kiteboards (see photo from crossing the Australian Bight Smile ) before settling in Fremantle, Western Australia.

I'm back visiting family in BC but the start of August I'll borrow my sister's van to road trip with my 4 kites and boards through Seattle, Oregon, to San Fransisco along the coast and back north for the solar eclipse Aug 21st and the gorge on my way back. It would be great to meet up with other kiters and possibly do downwinders at places such as Fort Stevens. Western Australia has made me lazy with tacking upwind to catch waves.

I have a few places on my must stops like Manzantia and the gourge, but I'm open to any recommendations or if you don't mind me parking my sister's van to sleep in your driveway or to grab a beer and chat that would be awesome too!

Speaking of beer, one of the other purposes of my trip is to check out craft breweries along the way so if you have any suggestions for places to stop please let me know!

Cheers,
Brett

Bike nullarbor.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bike nullarbor.jpg
 Filesize:  383.95 KB
 Downloaded:  531 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostWed Jul 19, 17 10:29 pm     Reply with quote

Really surprised you haven't had any responses yet but your travels sound awesome to me! Living the dream for sure. As for craft beers/brewpubs you'll be in the epicenter for all that is great in the PNW...most major (and minor) towns have great spots, take your pick.

If you need a kiting or drinking buddy, I'm down. PM me when you get near Portland.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jul 20, 17 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Bletti,

When you make it to Seaside check in with Josh at Cleanline Surf Shop and he can help with any orientation. Been a pretty good summer so far with Manzo being the daily automatic. Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 21, 17 9:02 am    lots of great spots and craft beers in OR Reply with quote

Some longer downwinders. Whiskey Run just north of Bandon (cars allowed on Beach); it is about 5 miles.

Lincoln City (roads end to the bay south of town). I think this one is about 6 miles. I've never done it as I HATE LINCOLN SHITTY traffic. It is a real bottleneck on the coast. I'd say a better consumption of time there is a hire out transport.

Lot B to the Shipwreck or even down to the Sunset Beach access point; lot B to shipwreck is just over 3 miles and down to Sunset Beach access is 8 miles; this time of year one can drive from 10th st in Gearhart up to Shipwreck, but not from Shipwreck North to South Jetty. Access is allowed on that part in the fall and winter.

Lots more if you are creative, have time, the proper wind strength, and the wind direction is available. Some I'm not sharing. . .

AS for beers. Not a coast brew, but a Bend creation. There is Slingshot RPM kites and there is Bend's Boneyard RPM. They don't bottle it, only in kegs. It is a must try and my favorite Oregon micro.

Welcome, enjoy Oregon, and safe adventures.

Bletti

Since 16 Jul 2017
10 Posts

PostSun Jul 23, 17 10:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'll check them out!

What time does it usually kick in at Manzo?

How about further up the coast anywhere it kicks in semi-consistently? Also, which website(s) do you use for forecasts?

Hopefully I'll be able to find some friendly kiters on the coast to downwind with. Western Australia has long 20mile+(with sections of great, sections of mediocre) downwinders that take all day on a 5m or 7m, but 5-7 miles of good surf is great! Smile

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 24, 17 10:06 am     Reply with quote

Bletti wrote:
Thanks guys! I'll check them out!

What time does it usually kick in at Manzo?

How about further up the coast anywhere it kicks in semi-consistently? Also, which website(s) do you use for forecasts?

Hopefully I'll be able to find some friendly kiters on the coast to downwind with. Western Australia has long 20mile+(with sections of great, sections of mediocre) downwinders that take all day on a 5m or 7m, but 5-7 miles of good surf is great! Smile

Yesterday was a rare day up at Lot B/South Jetty of the Columbia as it was kitable at about 9:30am--very rare day actually. Some times it doesn't start blowing till 4:30 or 5 and might only be a 2 hour window.

Lot B sometimes just blows there and doesn't got down the coastline. Usually it is windy to the shipwreck just over 3 miles south. Usually the wind takes a notch down from there to just north of the Sunset Beach access 5 miles south of the shipwreck.
A super rare day when it is windy all the was down to Seaside (17 miles). Best to do 2 8 mile downwinders as it provides a break for rest and refuel. Logistics of a 17 mile downwinder are hard and a larger consumption of time and wind fickle. North winds I've never ridden anything smaller than a 9m and surfboard (190 lbs wet w/gear). Usually 12m or bigger, but sometimes 9 m like yesterday. South, winter, storm winds a lot different and smaller kites suggested/needed.

If somehow east winds kick up head to lot D next to lot B as that is a east wind spot.

Manzanita aka MANZO: Usually blows much stronger and earlier than up north at lot b. If North wind head farther south like the end of Manzo homes or day use State park area as the wind is cleaner. If NW wind, can sail like at the Motel on the beach front road. There is a short downwinder that is maybe 2 miles from motel to the day use State Park area (be sure to take a visual of where the take-out point is as the dunes and grasses all look the same). One NEEDS A State Park parking pass, so stop off at REI and get a seasons pass for $30; 6 uses will pay for itself (daily passes $5). Parking tickets are expensive and they do issue them. You will need it checking out the coastline.

But if you are into walking one can go all the way to the north end of the Jetty where the Nehamlem drains into the ocean. It might add another 2 miles. Also (and I've never done it because it takes way more time, I usually just do 2 2 mile downwinders, is from the Motel down to and past the river mouth into Rockaway. Take a taxi back. From what I have been told by people in the know, if there is any hint of fog south on the mountains of Rockaway, this will kill the wind down there and the DWer should not be attempted. Also, the Nehahlem has a lot of water and so one should cross it quickly and get out of the current zone as it is dangerous.

[url]
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=3CLO3&table=1&banner=off

http://www.windsurforegon.com/oregon-north-coast
[/url]

Bletti

Since 16 Jul 2017
10 Posts

PostMon Jul 24, 17 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Sasquatch, that's all very useful! I might pm you in a week or two with a few questions! Very Happy

Bletti

Since 16 Jul 2017
10 Posts

PostThu Aug 03, 17 10:12 am     Reply with quote

I'll be in Long Beach/Ft. Stevens next Monday and Tuesday, the 7th and 8th. Then I'll be in Manzanita Wed, Thur, Friday. If anyone is around and wants to kite or do downwinders, please let me know.

Portland for the following weekend then further down the coast towards SF Sunday Aug 13th on... Very Happy

Anyone know if there's good spots in Northern California (other than Clam Beach)? I've only seen much posted for Southern Oregon.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Aug 03, 17 10:33 am     Reply with quote

You can check out cape mendecino to kite but it is unlikely worth it out of north swell season. Still a cool spot to visit and camp though.

https://www.californiabeaches.com/beach/cape-mendocino-beach/

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Aug 03, 17 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Bletti wrote:

. . . then further down the coast towards SF Sunday Aug 13th on... Very Happy

Anyone know if there's good spots in Northern California (other than Clam Beach)? I've only seen much posted for Southern Oregon.

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/sites.php

There you go. Lots of locations to read about near SF and North of there.

Bletti

Since 16 Jul 2017
10 Posts

PostFri Aug 11, 17 8:17 am     Reply with quote

I'm around Portland today and tomorrow if anyone is going anywhere close please let me know.

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostFri Aug 11, 17 8:57 am     Reply with quote

I'm going to be going to Stevenson tomorrow, it's about an hour east of Portland, just across the Bridge of The Gods in Stevenson, WA. Launch is right in town behind Skunk Brothers Distillery. Make sure you ask some locals about the protocol, it's a single-access point with enough room to launch and land one at a time, so get an orientation. There's also a lot of rotor in the launch area from some trees, so kite technique needs to be on point.

Everyone there is friendly.

Bletti

Since 16 Jul 2017
10 Posts

PostFri Aug 11, 17 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. I was at Manzanita yesterday and Jones Beach today so I might take tomorrow off but perhaps I'll see you there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: