Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

RV suspension work? Solar nerds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 14, 17 5:43 pm    RV suspension work? Solar nerds? Reply with quote

Have a sprinter based Winnebago, looking to see who you all recommend for parts and install on beefing up the rear, may be a little booty lift, more anti role, mo-better shocks, leaf springs ect.....

Solar: who do you recommend to install a 160 watt system......

I'm decent at mechanical, but don't have the room for suspension work at the house and electrical is out of my wheel house.

Great to see everyone again this summer, been out of the loop since I took that fish hook through the bottom of the foot a couple years ago, but were back at it.

Thanks in advance for the advise!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 14, 17 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

How'd the fish hook take you out so long? Was that at Rufus?

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 14, 17 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
How'd the fish hook take you out so long? Was that at Rufus?

Super sorry, should have been a bit more clear. That was just the last time I was really in the water, my boys were worrying us around the water and we really like rufus, at that time it was a lot of work for one mother or one father, now 2 of the 3 are bigger, we have a more user friendly rv for mamma and the boys, we bike as much as anything, I have a amazing work schedule now that I'm blessed to have. And yes it was at Rufus several years ago. It wasn't bad, I sprung a slow leak, I just had to have all the piping in my foot sewed back together. Our life is a lot more relaxed. I'm just stoked to raise the boys around the water!

Thanks for asking!

sg

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostFri Jul 14, 17 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

Solar: www.offthegridcamper.com

Cameron located in White Salmon, WA does a great job!

Tell him Ryan sent you!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 14, 17 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

Nice, I heard about you. Glad you are recovered.

I'm out for 8 weeks. Can't wait until September 1st!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Jul 14, 17 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

Solar can be tricky the more advanced you get with your setup. I bought panels and a charge controller from solar dealz in Bend. I setup a 220watt system for my trailer with two 6v AGM deep cycle batteries in series. Works great, batteries stay charged and with an inverter you keep most of your AC electrical needs satisfied

Zamp/solar deals sells prototypes and seconds panels for $1.25 per watt.

At the same time I thumbs up locals available to do the work like Cameron at offthegridcamper.com

Sometimes having a pro do it is well worth the cost just in the peace of mind.

Happy to help on the solar if you take the do it yourself route.

Dan

www.freeridekiting.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jul 15, 17 10:28 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
Solar can be tricky the more advanced you get with your setup. I bought panels and a charge controller from solar dealz in Bend. I setup a 220watt system for my trailer with two 6v AGM deep cycle batteries in series. Works great, batteries stay charged and with an inverter you keep most of your AC electrical needs satisfied

A little off topic, but does anyone know how to address proper grounding when working with solar on an RV? Seems to me that a barefoot person stepping into a rig that is sitting on rubber tires might easily become the path of least resistance if they managed to touch something in the middle of the loop...

OTGCamper

Since 21 Jun 2017
6 Posts
Bingen, WA
Kook

PostSat Jul 15, 17 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
ErraticAKn wrote:

A little off topic, but does anyone know how to address proper grounding when working with solar on an RV? Seems to me that a barefoot person stepping into a rig that is sitting on rubber tires might easily become the path of least resistance if they managed to touch something in the middle of the loop...

RV solar panels are generally pretty low voltage (12-48V) and not grounded to the chassis. The solar controller is grounded to the chassis at a low 12v and metal is a much easier path back to the controller than your body will ever be. So I'd saw you're safe to go barefoot. Wink

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostSat Jul 15, 17 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Vdc will not shock u like vac. Vdc can start fires if not grounded, fused, and isolated properly. Vdc creates heat when shorted to ground.

Now after its inverted back to ac through an invertor now your back to getting shocked if u put your finger not feet in a electrical outlet. gfci outlets come to mind if your really concerned about human contact with ac. Most inverters have them these days so you,ll have plenty of shock protection.

Example would be put your hands on a battery nothing happens. Do the same by sticking a finger in a electrial outlet u might not be here anymore.

Check out bob is the solar guy charging puzzle best solar tutorial i found. Everything he said was absolutely spot on. I ran welding cables and the largest wires i could find for my install of panels, a quality charge controller like morningstar with battery temp sensors are a must not cheapo renogy ebay chinese controllers.

Pwm vs mppt is summed up in the following high vdc panels in series or larger 24vdc panels need mppt to convert to 12vdc that most batteries are. They drop the amps and lessens the need for larger wiring. Pwm is for any wattage 12 vdc panels up to your controllers amp limit rating.

I boondock exclusively for kiting and only use the genny for air conditioning. If i had the cash i would go lithium as u can run a air condtioner on lithium price is sky high 4-10,000$ for enough amp hours to run an ac unit. Not cost effective unless your a fulltimer

AM SOLAR in oregon is cosidered one of the most talked about installers for serious rvers that dont want to tackle a solar project on their own.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Jul 16, 17 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

We regularly help folks with their van builds and Sprinter based RV projects/upgrades including solar and suspension. Contact info at DIYvan.com. Our Sprinter was retrofitted with a full air suspension. (not helper bags) We can answer your questions and put you in contact with the best installers.

We look forward to hearing from you.
All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: