Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tarifa - Morocco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostFri Jul 07, 17 9:40 am    Tarifa - Morocco Reply with quote

I'm going to be in Portugal and Tarifa end of September. Thinking about heading to Morocco for a few days. Anyone traveled there and have recommendations for kitesurfing, accommodations, beach, location, etc...

thanks!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 07, 17 11:51 am    PM kitetele Reply with quote

He has been to Morocco for kiting. Not exactly sure where.

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostFri Jul 07, 17 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

I've been to Essaouira and it's very gusty and the way the bay is the wind come a bit off shore and has to come over the hotels and that makes it gusty .

Baygullbites

Since 15 Aug 2016
18 Posts
Hood river

PostFri Jul 07, 17 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

I went to Tarifa to kite and crossed over into Morocco, super easy to do and I'd say well worth it whether you kite or not. There definitely seems to be some places there around the beaches. When I visited I checked out Chefchaouen (sp?) a really amazing city in the mountains of the NE and can't recommend it enough. Accommodations are cheap and people are friendly. The desert is also an incredible thing to see, I accessed it leaving from Fez and taking a bus.

Not windy day rambles but some knock-your-socks-off places for sure.

I also found it was pretty easy to meet people in Tarifa who are interested in going to morocco. As a solo traveler this was awesome to form a crew stoked on going over there.

Have fun!!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Jul 07, 17 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

I kited Essaouira Morocco. Had a blast. You can do downwinders and come back by camel.
PM me for more details.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 09, 17 4:02 pm     Reply with quote

We've been in Tavira Portugal and there's kiting all along the beach down to Tarifa. We drove along the coast and looked for kites. Lots of variety. Enjoy!

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 10, 17 6:33 am    Morocco Reply with quote

have a friend/serious kiter that goes to Moulay Bousselham. Worth a look.

MasViento

Since 03 Mar 2009
234 Posts
Stoked

PostTue Jul 11, 17 9:07 pm    Hit Dakhla its amazing Reply with quote

If your going to Morocco for kiting don't miss Dakhla.
I spent about 10 days there and did a really long downwinder for 7 days down to Mauritania. It was NOT well organized at all. But thats another story. The only place to avoid there is Dakhla Spirit. The other kite camps are fine. I visited about 5 different kite resorts there.

The wind was like a hair dryer most everyday. Steady warm 8-10m. Was only gusty one day out of 10 when we were kiting through a storm about 100 miles south of Dakhla.

Get to Morocco then use a local airline to get from Marrakesh, Casa, or Spain to Dakhla. It will be cheaper to book that leg from there. Be aware Royal Air Maroc is terrible avoid them if you can.

All the camps are about 45 min. south of the city of Dakhla. You need to make sure you are in the right kind of taxi from the airport b/c some don't go that far. If your going to one of the camps they will have their staff pick you up.

The best for location, food, and vibe was Ocean Vagabond. They run an amazing place. They have great service and staff. They fix kites. They have a water side kite GARAGE where you can keep your kites all lined up and pumped the whole time your there. I shit you not. Its a NORTH ION Club location and its first class.
They do excursions on days off, daily downwinders with a group a guide and a jeep ride back, in-house surf pro Kirsty Jones is also skilled and a great teacher.

https://www.oceanvagabond.com/en/dakhla-morocco/kitesurf/

Enjoy, Enrique

http://juxtapixel.photoshelter.com/gallery-list

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 12, 17 7:57 pm    Re: Hit Dakhla its amazing Reply with quote

MasViento wrote:
If your going to Morocco for kiting don't miss Dakhla.
I spent about 10 days there and did a really long downwinder for 7 days down to Mauritania. It was NOT well organized at all. But thats another story. The only place to avoid there is Dakhla Spirit. The other kite camps are fine. I visited about 5 different kite resorts there.

The wind was like a hair dryer most everyday. Steady warm 8-10m. Was only gusty one day out of 10 when we were kiting through a storm about 100 miles south of Dakhla.

Get to Morocco then use a local airline to get from Marrakesh, Casa, or Spain to Dakhla. It will be cheaper to book that leg from there. Be aware Royal Air Maroc is terrible avoid them if you can.

All the camps are about 45 min. south of the city of Dakhla. You need to make sure you are in the right kind of taxi from the airport b/c some don't go that far. If your going to one of the camps they will have their staff pick you up.

The best for location, food, and vibe was Ocean Vagabond. They run an amazing place. They have great service and staff. They fix kites. They have a water side kite GARAGE where you can keep your kites all lined up and pumped the whole time your there. I shit you not. Its a NORTH ION Club location and its first class.
They do excursions on days off, daily downwinders with a group a guide and a jeep ride back, in-house surf pro Kirsty Jones is also skilled and a great teacher.

https://www.oceanvagabond.com/en/dakhla-morocco/kitesurf/

Enjoy, Enrique

I second that! Loved Dakhla! Dahhla Attitude is a pretty chill place with great excursions to a secret ( not so secret) sand dune that will take your breathe away. Yup, hair dryer wind. Blew everyday 5m, 7m or 9m. Best KB vacation to-date.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: