Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Quad vs thruster caution trespass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 06, 17 10:05 pm    Quad vs thruster caution trespass Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a used caution trespass 5'5 and found two around, one a quad and the other a thruster. I'm currently riding a celeritas mostly in the gorge primarily riding swells, which I very much enjoy. I'm interested in getting something that's a bit more slashy, not that I'm disappointed with celeritas, just looking to feel other boards out. Given that anyone have any info on the caution trespass in quad vs thruster builds?

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Jul 07, 17 8:08 am    Quad? Reply with quote

I didn't think that Caution ever made a quad Trespass. Are you sure that is what it is? If so, I've never seen one.

That said, I have had a 5'5" thruster for many years. It's my go to high wind board in storm surf kind of conditions. Not a lot of rocker in the nose, so it does tend to dig in on hard bottom turns a bit, IMHO. When it's really choppy though, I'm not usually digging a rail that hard.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jul 07, 17 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Do you have quad experience? Can you explain how a quad rides differently from a thruster? Do you know what tracking (on quads) is and the reason behind it?

saara

Since 22 Jul 2017
1 Posts

PostSat Jul 22, 17 8:48 am     Reply with quote

My car got broken into last night on July 4 during all the noise they broke the window. If anybody sees these kites please let me know. Thanks!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jul 24, 17 7:25 am    ?? Reply with quote

saara wrote:
My car got broken into last night on July 4 during all the noise they broke the window. If anybody sees these kites please let me know. Thanks!

??

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 25, 17 8:37 am    quad v. thruster Reply with quote

I find quads faster and point upwind better. I also ride twin configuration. You can feel what the center fin on a thruster does when you take it off. I find riding with a twin configuration faster than a thruster, but it doesn't hold a line as well, and doesn't hold steep sections as well. The quad is an improvement over the twin configuration in terms of holding your line, but still doesn't hold in steep sections as well as a thruster. Never tried a caution.
http://frontshoresurf.com/quad-vs-thrusters-fin-setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: