Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New NC area to Kite !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Jun 28, 17 11:39 am    New NC area to Kite !! Reply with quote

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/new-shelly-island-appears-cape-hatteras-north-carolina-coast/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20170627news-newisland&utm_campaign=Content&sf93090483=1

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 17 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

I moved to North Carolina 3 years ago from Portland and kite mostly Emerald Isle which is fairly close to Cape Hatteras. I visit Oregon in the summers.

The Outer Banks is very dynamic and sand is constantly shifting. Some new sandbars off my local beach this summer, but they will most likely change this winter or next hurricane.

A couple of pics I took two weeks ago.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jun 29, 17 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Looks awesome Bill! I see why they call it Emerald!

If you go to this new island snag some whale bones for us. Shocked

Not Exactly Paradise

The appearance of this new island is drawing attention from coast to coast, though experts warn that it's surrounded by dangerous currents. Whale bones poke through its sands, along with the ribs of old shipwrecks. Beautiful seashells dot its beaches. The ripping seas separating it from the rest of Cape Hatteras National Seashore have brought in sand tiger sharks and "oceanic manta rays the size of car hoods," Couch says.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Jun 29, 17 9:28 am     Reply with quote

Is that "sand, tiger sharks, and "ocean manta rays the size of car hoods"" or "sand tiger sharks, and "ocean manta rays the size of car hoods""?

I don't know of sand tiger sharks, are those the same as tiger sharks? Do tiger sharks visit the east coast there? Had no idea. Anyway, we could use a new island here in the PNW with deep water reef pass that picks up NW wind is all I'm sayin!!

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jun 29, 17 10:15 am     Reply with quote

I don't know Sand Sharks from Tiger Sharks, but the real bad actors around here are Bull Sharks. They are aggressive, come in close to shore, swim up the sound and rivers. Last summer several people lost limbs to those bastards. Unfortunately, a couple of them were young kids on vacation playing in the shore break.

There's a pier a couple miles down the beach from the pics on posted. They'll hang around the pier due to people fishing and throwing bait and fish guts in the water. Its also where people surf, but people don't seem to be bothered. If there's an attack, people stay out of the water for several days and jump back in. Crazy.

I've never seen one where I go which is fine by me. Last summer a friend almost landed on one coming down from a jump. Said both he and the shark were spooked.

A couple more pics from my local spot.

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSun Jul 02, 17 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

I think I will pass on kiting the new island.

Post from Coastal Helicopters, LLC on Facebook...

We're getting some beautiful weather for flights lately, and have been down to Hatteras several times...the new island is making up nicely, but we can't stress enough - please don't swim or walk out to it. The water is very dynamic and rip currents are strong. We are working on lots of other pictures, but here are a couple from the other day (thank you Stephanie) including one of a shark coming completely out of the water. This is the only area on the Outer Banks where we routinely see them, if you want to wade out in the water, best to do it elsewhere.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 17 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

I see a pic like that, from a helicopter, and I can't help but think "Get some Get some Get some baby"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: