Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dreaded gill nets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jun 27, 17 8:39 pm    Dreaded gill nets? Reply with quote

I realize that the floating styrofoam markers and lines, etc. mark gill net areas to avoid. If one of us were to break down and were self rescuing towards shore and spotted those, is it best to try to go around, which could mean a lot of swimming or tacking with a self rescued kite. Are the gill nets themselves very close to the surface and is best to just avoid them altogether or would it be ok to swim or body drag over the top? Would you do that or try to go around?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 27, 17 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

Avoid them at all costs. They are very, very strong. I actually got my 34' sailboat caught on one last summer and it was so such strong line that i had to actually dive down with a knife and cut it free.

BE VERY AWARE OF HOW THE RIVER CURRENTS WILL AFFECT YOUR SWIMMING OR KITING TRAJECTORY WHEN ATTEMPTING TO PASS THESE NETS. The river current can surprise you and push you into a net, or the net can drift into your pathway.

See a styrofoam block in the water, keep far far away. The other end may not be floating at the surface (many nets are set under water about 1-3' depending on river levels).

The native american fishing tribes have the right to set nets anywhere they want as long as they are not in the navigable channel. (reality-wise, they have been doing this for hundreds of years, and we are somewhat the uninvited river guests, so it is what it is, and they were here first by a long shot).

www.Purestokesports.com

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 28, 17 8:14 am     Reply with quote

There's a huge one setup in the main channel near the top of Wells Island.
Just to the Oregon side of the barge lane.
Surprised the heck out of me last night - I've never seen one in the middle of the river before.
It's a accident waiting to happen.

Flowtom

Since 10 Apr 2006
247 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 17 9:29 am    yeah got some experience foil stuck yesterday at steve. Reply with quote

Yeah got some experience foil stuck yesterday at Stevenson. Lot easier to go over the gill nets with a twin tip or skim. however foil boards are tough. was surprised by how much of net was floating around at the surface of the water. So scary

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jun 28, 17 10:21 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
There's a huge one setup in the main channel near the top of Wells Island. Just to the Oregon side of the barge lane.
Surprised the heck out of me last night - I've never seen one in the middle of the river before. It's a accident waiting to happen.

Agree, that location is brutal. The private and professional lessons being taught up there could turn into a very hard lesson for a newbie with slow reaction skills spending time in the water. They grab and wrap a foot so fast you become the finger cuff between the net and your kite. Shocked Scary stuff.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Jun 28, 17 10:42 am     Reply with quote

I broke a line right near the Lyle rest area and got my kite completely tangled in a drift net. By the time I went back with a knife to retrieve the kite a guy had already grabbed the kite. By the time I figured this out he had taken my kite and bar back to cloudsville for the night. I spent about 2 weeks trying to get my kite back. I finally got it back about 2 weeks later but had to pay the guy 100 dollars for supposedly damaging his net. Moral of the story is avoid the nets at all costs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: