Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

When will the sandbar (hr) be ready for launches?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu May 18, 17 5:14 am    When will the sandbar (hr) be ready for launches? Reply with quote

I haven't been to the ES yet this Spring. Any idea when the water level will be low enough for launches from the sandbar?

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu May 18, 17 5:54 am     Reply with quote

September Cool

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostThu May 18, 17 6:10 am    My guess is early to mid June. Reply with quote

The water levels are high now but as demand for power and run off slows it's probably gonna be mid-June.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/dv?cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&site_no=14113290&referred_module=sw&period=&begin_date=2016-05-01&end_date=2016-09-14

[img]

WaterLevel.PNG 

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu May 18, 17 7:03 am     Reply with quote

There is enough Sandbar now to set-up and launch from for a small grouping of kites. Crossing over from the Event Site can be a little bit of a swim, based on your height, but overall......no crowds.

Launching / landing from the Event Site has had a great vibe this Spring with many stoked / helpful people now that the season is finally filling in. Forecast through the weekend looks warm and booming. Flow is moving fast so if you lose your board....get back on that horse and get after it quickly and as always.....dress for the swim.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu May 18, 17 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Watch out for the current while crossing between the grass to the sandbar. I've seen multiple people dragged out by the current and had the experience of needing to "self-rescue" myself when I got dragged out while coming back with a 15m kite after wind died one day.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 18, 17 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Typically, with mother nature's help, the sandbar becomes launchable around the end of May or the first week in June, henceforth the plan to move over to the Sandbar the first week of June. This also coincides with the CGWA Beach Bash event which is a windsurf specific event with demos, music and festivities.

2017 will be an interesting year for the waterfront.

As Voy Tech mentioned in an earlier post, the currents both at the crossing and in the middle of the sandbar are deceptively strong and has been catching more than a few people off guard.
Crossing over to the sandbar is also more challenging due to the deeper channel.

And, for those of you testing light winds or having relaunch issues in dieing winds, the currents across the sandbar are causing some swims back to the beach to be a lot longer than most have planned, so be careful, wear appropriate neoprene for the conditions, and be self aware.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSat May 20, 17 6:01 pm    launching off the grass Reply with quote

Until the sandbar returns, are there plans to bring back the rope line at the event site to keep spectators from sitting in the middle of the launching/landing area and the chalk lines on the grass to remind kiters to also keep the area clear?
They seemed to help keep the chaos down there a little less chaotic when it gets crowded.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostSun May 21, 17 12:26 am    Re: launching off the grass Reply with quote

hilton wrote:
Until the sandbar returns, are there plans to bring back the rope line at the event site to keep spectators from sitting in the middle of the launching/landing area and the chalk lines on the grass to remind kiters to also keep the area clear?
They seemed to help keep the chaos down there a little less chaotic when it gets crowded.

The event site today was insane. Some guidance would be very helpful.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 21, 17 7:34 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
had the experience of needing to "self-rescue" myself when I got dragged out while coming back with a 15m kite after wind died one day.

I had a similar challenge earlier in the season on my 17m turbine.

I found it too difficult to swim a large kite across the channel with all that current when the wind had died.

I ended up carrying my gear back to the tiny bit of sand available on the spit and did the following:

1) Removed air from the leading edge on my kite.
2) Left air in all the struts
3) Rolled up my kite/bar into a single structure (the support of the blown up struts made this structure long and rigid)
4) Used my safety leash to tie this structure to my board.
5) swam across the channel with my board/kite floating next to me.

It made swimming across the channel much easier.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 22, 17 7:38 am    Crowded ES Launch Reply with quote

The event site will be busy until the water level comes down. This can be a tricky launch with the fluky wind. Ask someone who is familiar with launching here to help you out.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon May 22, 17 7:47 am     Reply with quote

And please don't throw the kite in the air when you're launching someone - wait for wind to pick it up, don't force it! Pretty much every time someone tries to speed the launch by throwing the kite in the air it just stalls immediately after.

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostTue May 23, 17 7:24 am     Reply with quote

I'm wanting to fly East of the little sandbar in the shallows (Between the sandbar and the kite park). Is it ill advised to taxi out to the sandbar and launch from there to avoid the event site launch crowd?

I'm assuming there isn't enough sand at the spit to launch and get you out there right now.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 23, 17 7:32 am     Reply with quote

many options.
-- launch from the event site grass and kite over there.
-- swim over to the sandbar and launch from there.
-- launch from the old spit at the mouth of the hood river.
i'm guessing that since you have to ask - you may be a beginner?
if so - don't kite in the shallows unless you're an expert - it's dangerous for beginners.

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostTue May 23, 17 7:34 am     Reply with quote

I have a couple lessons and a couple of solo days under my belt, but yeah, not a ton of experience.

That was the area that I kited during both solo days last year (later in the season). I liked the shallow water.

Is this an early season advisory to avoid it?

Guessing you would advice flying back and forth on the West side of the sand bar instead. I just want to be out of peoples way.

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostTue May 23, 17 7:44 am     Reply with quote

[quote="treitz"]I have a couple lessons and a couple of solo days under my belt, but yeah, not a ton of experience.

. . .[/quote]

That basically equals NO experience. This coming weekend is going to be a cluster f@ck.

The shallow waters east of the sandbar are well shallow, but also kind of tricky to kite. Exiting water from the Hood River traveling east which is the same direction as the predominant wind coming from the SW/W. Wind and current traveling in the same direction cuts down on one's power. And the entire area is kind of holey/wind shadowed from Wells Island and the newer buildings.

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostTue May 23, 17 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
That basically equals NO experience.

Come on now. NO experience would mean I've never flown a kite.

sleestack wrote:
The shallow waters east of the sandbar are well shallow, but also kind of tricky to kite. Exiting water from the Hood River traveling east which is the same direction as the predominant wind coming from the SW/W. Wind and current traveling in the same direction cuts down on one's power. And the entire area is kind of holey/wind shadowed from Wells Island and the newer buildings.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Looking at going out tonight, not this weekend, FWIW. Based on the forecast, I'm guessing it will be busy tonight as well.

Would hit up Lyle, but I am pretty it's unkiteable right now.

Last edited by treitz on Tue May 23, 17 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 23, 17 7:54 am     Reply with quote

The area to the west of the sandbar is good right now.
Because it's not convenient to launch form the sandbar - not many people are flying over there.
Kiting in the shallows in not forgiving. If you crash hard in the shallows it can be scary.
The majority of incidents requiring calls for an ambulance happened on the sandbar or in the shallows...... just saying.
FYI - I'll be the kook learning to foil just west of the sandbar yelling "Foilah!".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: