Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cabrinha Bar Voluntary Safety Recall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 18, 17 9:17 am    Cabrinha Bar Voluntary Safety Recall Reply with quote

Just thought i would put this up. I had my bar fail at necker this Jan. Flagged the kite by pulling on the strering line.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2396233

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 18, 17 10:17 am     Reply with quote

They had recalls in 2014 & 2015 too.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2014/Cabrinha-Recalls-Kiteboarding-Control-System

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/cabrinha-recalls-kiteboard-control-systems

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat May 20, 17 8:19 am     Reply with quote

This actually makes me WANT to buy Cabrinha! The act of taking responsibility for a bad product is something that other kite companies could take a lesson on. So many "newly designed" and " advancements in kiting technology" have, and are still putting lives of kiters or innocent bystanders at risk.

Thanks to Cabrinha for being proactive in safeguarding our lives, the lives of non kiters, and keeping our kite spots open to our sport by reducing the number of incidents there.

I will take another look at Cabrinha as my next buy to replace my gear. All the water kites I fly now are from another company that never recalled their defective gear.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat May 20, 17 10:12 am     Reply with quote

I have nothing against Cabrinha but the other side of the story is this is 3 out of 4 years they have had bar/line problems and it took them a long time to admit/deal with it. Lots of info on other sites about this issue. Nice that they are working with it but where is the R&D to prevent it. Might be talking about someone's health/life here if it doesn't work the way it is meant to. Not picking on Cab, most of the bigger companies have similar stories. They kind of use the public as R & D the first year or two of a new piece of equipment. Not sure it is the best way to test gear.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat May 20, 17 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
So many "newly designed" and " advancements in kiting technology" have, and are still putting lives of kiters or innocent bystanders at risk.

All the water kites I fly now are from another company that never recalled their defective gear.

Bold statements. Got examples? I'm assuming you'll sell your current kite quiver on the second-hand market to fund new gear so what have you changed with your current brand to make it safer.....to your standards? If your kites are sold to a new kiter will he/she fully understand the alteration as I bet it has to do with simplifying your bars depower and release system? No?

Very few people fully understand the engineering involved for combating the stresses kiteboarding can bring upon your gear, I sure don't, so I need my gear to work perfect out of the box. I too, applaud Cab for the recall effort but what now seems to be an annual routine for them is suspect especially when it comes to the only piece of gear linking me, my kite and Mother Natures unforgiving power.

IMO the biggest bar/kite safety issue with today's gear is lack of proper maintenance and inspection by user.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSat May 20, 17 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
IMO the biggest bar/kite safety issue with today's gear is lack of proper maintenance and inspection by user.

Full agreement with this one. This is probably my biggest beef with designs that hide a lot of components that should be checked for wear before each ride.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun May 21, 17 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Matt V wrote:
So many "newly designed" and " advancements in kiting technology" have, and are still putting lives of kiters or innocent bystanders at risk.

All the water kites I fly now are from another company that never recalled their defective gear.

Bold statements. Got examples? I'm assuming you'll sell your current kite quiver on the second-hand market to fund new gear so what have you changed with your current brand to make it safer.....to your standards? If your kites are sold to a new kiter will he/she fully understand the alteration as I bet it has to do with simplifying your bars depower and release system? No?

Nope! I do not sell bad gear on the used market. My character is very much the opposite of your insinuation.

I destroy unsafe gear, not sell it - even if it costs me money. And I let others know about unsafe gear in any way I can - first with the forums, then in person if I see someone with gear that has failed me, as long as I am sure the design/build is faulty. If you look through my post history throughout my kiteboarding career on this and other forums, it is marred with many instances of my coming across defective gear and sounding the alarm. And, I have been threatened with legal action for sounding that alarm, specifically, to be sued for slander by a kiteboarding company rep. My first concern is keeping others safe. My second concern is keeping kite spots open to others and myself. My last concern is for my pocket book. Kiting is expensive. And one of the things that makes it a little more expensive for me is that I do not dump bad gear on unsuspecting newbies.

But above all, I could not live with myself if I sold a dangerous piece of gear with a known problem. If you are a person that actually thinks ahead, you will come to the logical conclusion that the unfit piece of gear you sold could get the the very spot you kite at closed to kiteboarding. I make this accusation broadly to all kiters out there - Kiters tend to lack foresight at a similar rate with the general human population. Unfortunately, the inability or unwillingness to think ahead has greater consequences in kiteboarding than in daily life.

Sella, if you dump bad gear on unsuspecting newbies, you are specifically one of the many challenges that kiteboarding needs to overcome for our community to thrive in the future. I would urge you to reconsider your thinking that this practice is ok, if that is your position. If this is not your position, please respond and let the community know that you have never condoned " bad gear dumping", or at least no longer condone this practice.

Also, you may be confusing me with someone else when you referenced changing my bars. My mods to my bars are (1) homemade linesets, and (2) removal of the Best "CL" release mechanism, replaced with a North "CL" release. Funny that I was doing that back in 2011, then in 2015 Best actually started using the North "CL" release as standard equipment on Best bars.

P.S. I have lots of 2011-2013 Best "CL" releases. If you are interested on getting a good deal on them from me......you are out of luck as they will never be sold or even given away to anyone. They are unsafe.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon May 22, 17 8:02 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
I have nothing against Cabrinha but the other side of the story is this is 3 out of 4 years they have had bar/line problems and it took them a long time to admit/deal with it. Lots of info on other sites about this issue. Nice that they are working with it but where is the R&D to prevent it. Might be talking about someone's health/life here if it doesn't work the way it is meant to. Not picking on Cab, most of the bigger companies have similar stories. ...

Yeah, I agree with you. Nice to get the manufacturer support, but maybe don't change the bar design every year? Kite companies should focus on a simple solid bar design and keep it for a few years. Refine it only if there are wear items that have become a concern.
Let riders focus on the kite and have the safety/bar be second nature so we can best respond in an emergency with muscle memory and a proven bar design.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 22, 17 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
Quote:

Full agreement with this one. This is probably my biggest beef with designs that hide a lot of components that should be checked for wear before each ride.

Exactly. Sella makes a great point. Like him, I'm not super technical, and expect things to work correctly "out of the box". Of course, a new setup needs to be checked, but it should be checked to see its setup correctly; it shouldn't be necessary to check if the manufacturer has unintentionally built in some design flaw.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon May 22, 17 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Sella wrote:
Matt V wrote:

Sella, if you dump bad gear on unsuspecting newbies, you are specifically one of the many challenges that kiteboarding needs to overcome for our community to thrive in the future. I would urge you to reconsider your thinking that this practice is ok, if that is your position. If this is not your position, please respond and let the community know that you have never condoned " bad gear dumping", or at least no longer condone this practice.

Matt the reason you got push back from me when you post up a broad generalization regarding unsafe and defective gear you're currently using, while providing no examples is it makes me want to know what might not be working properly in my quiver if we fly the same brands, but thankfully we do not. I do appreciate your response with added examples and it's good to know you actually destroy your jerry-rigged gear instead of putting it back into the market. Thumb's Up

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon May 22, 17 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

I apologize if I was unclear. To clarify my statement:

"All the water kites I fly now are from another company that never recalled their defective gear."

Their kites are bomber (that I have owned for long enough to wear out).
Their "defective gear" referred to the safety system on the bar or "CL" release for many years in a row.

Flying defective gear would be ret....... stupid. Especially if you use it again after you have had a failure that indicates a defect. That is when I changed it out, and you should too. Or be proactive if you hear about a known problem.

But I try not to rehash issues from 2007 or 2013, or 2015 every 6 months on this forum. As I stated, it has been a long road being 100kg and flying kites the way I do. I have had lots of gear failures in the past. My current gear is not defective save issues that I suspect, but have not had actual failures to confirm my suspicions. I think a list here of actual failures or suspected defects would be a bit redundant, not to mention how long my posts get. Wind Slither actually suggested that he should receive a certification for reading one of my posts.

If you are questioning your gear, you are responsible for researching it. Before you buy gear, just type in "XXXbrand bar issues", or something of that nature into Google. It does wonders and you may even see Matt V by a post (though I would have rather not been involved). More importantly, if you have an issue, post it here or Kiteforum. Manufactures are a bit cautious on saying recall until the community is up in arms over the issue.

And could you state your position on the question of dumping bad gear? You quoted me in the last post and still avoided the question. Would you sell a 2002 well used "C" kite to a newbie who plans on trying to teach himself at the sandbar tomorrow? What about something that failed on your bar that you "fixed" by taping it together and told the buyer "it still works"? This is a problem in our community and we need to call it out where we find it or our future kite friends and our kite spots are at risk.

I do not have "jerry-rigged" gear. I will admit it is "Franken" gear, but it holds a 100kg kiter that loops hard. As supplied to me brand new, it did not hold up. And changing out a "CL" release to another brand, with due diligence as to safety line hole diameter and OAL does not constitute being "jerry-rigged". Other instances of NOT "jerry-rigged" would be upgrading to a better swivel or removing those dam things all together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: