Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding accident in Alameda
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed May 17, 17 8:50 am     Reply with quote

Every time I hear about a kite accident I knock on wood and recall all the sketchy things that have happened to me while kiting. Consider yourself lucky if you have had a successful career of avoiding accidents. Condolences to be family of this fallen kiter.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed May 17, 17 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Bummer! Thoughts and prayers for his family.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri May 19, 17 7:43 am    Re: brett-powell-fund Reply with quote

Godlike wrote:
https://www.gofundme.com/brett-powell-fund
His wife Carla is the sole benefactor of this gofundme campaign.

I dont know the situation of the deceased kiter or his family. My comment below is a general comment.

If you have dependents, please dont leave their future up in the air. Get life and disability insurance (you are more of a financial liability disabled than dead), so you dont leave your family struggling. If you cant afford insurance to protect your families future, you cant afford to be kiting. Which is more important?

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostFri May 19, 17 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Newbie here.

I want to say how encouraged I am by all the responses that have included "help a newbie out if you see them." I come from the hang gliding sport where that sentiment is encouraged but it often times just comes out as ridicule. So thank you for saying something if you see something dangerous, and approach with with the attitude of "I want to help you get better" unless it's clear they aren't up for constructive feedback. In the latter case, I fully agree with the "if you're not careful you're going to get yourself or someone else hurt/killed" lecture.

Looking forward to this season at the Event Site, hopefully the sandbar returns soon.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 19, 17 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Hulk wrote:
Newbie here.

I want to say how encouraged I am by all the responses that have included "help a newbie out if you see them." I come from the hang gliding sport where that sentiment is encouraged but it often times just comes out as ridicule. So thank you for saying something if you see something dangerous, and approach with with the attitude of "I want to help you get better" unless it's clear they aren't up for constructive feedback. In the latter case, I fully agree with the "if you're not careful you're going to get yourself or someone else hurt/killed" lecture.

Looking forward to this season at the Event Site, hopefully the sandbar returns soon.

When you launch, go further out on the sandbar. Dont launch close in to the water crossing. More room for error out there.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSat May 20, 17 4:10 am     Reply with quote

You hate to hear or read about such tragic occurrences in kiting. Things happen so quickly when they go bad! Such a sad, sad thing. My heart goes out to his family.

Matt, Your post was spot-on....it's always alarming to me, how many experienced kiters just sit back and watch "situations" unfold at the beach while a beginner struggles. Being proactive takes time, kudos to you for giving back to the sport, and helping others to understand the importance of kite safety. As you mentioned, it limits accidents and protects access.

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostSun May 21, 17 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

One really good piece of advice for beginners- which may be obvious, is to only launch with the kite well depowered. Pull that trim strap way in. If it's too much, the kite won't take off and you let a little more out. Get it in the air, get in the water, then trim it out to what you need to ride. It's a great way to avoid really nasty surprises.

So sad to hear about the accident. Definitely a reminder for me to keep an eye out for those who might need help on the beach. Thanks to the people who helped me as I was learning. We've got a great community.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: