Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2017 Event Site parking pass
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed May 03, 17 10:56 am    Re: Crowds Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
No, I live here I did not miss out.. Friday was better

Friday was a great time. Thumb's Up Turns east tomorrow and a bit stormy but this coming Friday forecast is looking solid. Get it!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 03, 17 11:14 am    Re: Event site Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
the Dangler will happily entertain your wife in his van during your session. Shocked

Quote of the day Smile The visualization on this is baffling for me.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 03, 17 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

cgka wrote:

One last reminder:

Stop pumping and launching on the west side of the Event Site!!!!
This makes us look bad, irresponsible and unfriendly. Hood River Kiters, I feel, are quite the opposite.
Plus, I hate it when this comes up in our face each year when we renegotiate for this access, it's plain embarassing.

I posted a long rant about this but deleted it because I didn't want to be the OG cranky guy.

The fact is that the CGWA (WINDSURFING) is responsible for there even being an Event Site.
Long before kiting they contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of volunteer hours to turn the rocky and unfriendly waste land into the beautiful beach we have today.

Last Sunday I watched 5 of the founding members of the foil army launch in the spot that's reserved for windsurfing and where kiting is prohibited.
Repeatedly they kited inside the buoys on that far west end and jumped and jybed well inside the buoys in the no fly zone. see red circle below.

The kid with a great head of hair who's name rhymes with dead was doing backrolls and kiteloops 20 feet in front of the beach in the windsurf launch zone....right in the red circle below labeled DON'T KITE HERE.....as windsurfers were waiting for a clear lane to launch.
You're a sponsored rider - you need to set a better example. People will think - "if he launches and rides in there it must be ok for the rest of us".

Please refrain from launching and landing in the no fly / no kite area.
After you launch - get out of the way and stay at least 300 yards from the event site.
Better yet - go up to Wells island.

Windsurfers built the event site and it's wrong for us to squeeze them into a smaller and smaller launch zone.
It doesn't matter if there's 1 windsurfer or 30 or the beach or none at all - they built it, they have a right to have it reserved for their use.

Don't be lazy - use the correct launch area and body drag out to deep water if you have to.

updated_event_site_image_433 (1).jpg 

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 2:43 pm    Good Reply with quote

Ldhr you are right I totally agree. But its like getting people to not block the lift at meadows or not riding post canyon when its muddy, or stop completely at stop signs
I could go on and on but, People are worried about themselves not others.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 7:48 pm    Rowena/East Mayer State Park Reply with quote

Yes a better Rowena launch is in the works. The proposal has been submitted to the State Parks and it is in the "pending review" stage.

Things like this take forever but trust that we are following the proper channels and I am contacting the Parks system with regular frequency to make sure they realize the urgency of the project. The biggest thing that this project will need is volunteer hours moving rock from the parking lot to the new launch site on the east end of the park. It will be work, with wheelbarrows and shovels, and will take a lot of power. As long as we as a community can promise that the work will be done when the plan is approved and then to accomplish that work, then we have done our part. Now we can only hope that things will go quickly and smoothly on the Parks side.

In the meantime follow the event site rules. They are there to keep everyone happy, not just you happy. Maybe two weeks ago it didn't matter as much but now the season is on so make room for your windsurfing buddies.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 03, 17 8:00 pm    Re: Rowena/East Mayer State Park Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:
The biggest thing that this project will need is volunteer hours moving rock from the parking lot to the new launch site on the east end of the park. It will be work, with wheelbarrows and shovels, and will take a lot of power. As long as we as a community can promise that the work will be done when the plan is approved and then to accomplish that work, then we have done our part.

Great job moving this project forward.

Let us know when you need volunteers. The earlier we can get the dates on our calendars the more likely people will be there.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

Great post idhr! Tell it like it is!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu May 04, 17 5:38 am    Re: Rowena/East Mayer State Park Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:
Yes a better Rowena launch is in the works. The proposal has been submitted to the State Parks and it is in the "pending review" stage.

So is this going to be a kite launch, windsurf/kite launch, windsurf launch, or a swimming beach?

Sorry, I got really excited about Arlington and just do not want to have another let down.

Regardless (except the swimming beach thing), I would be happy to move some rocks. I had a high school teacher that always said I would be "breaking rocks" one day.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 04, 17 7:13 am     Reply with quote

ok totally feeling guilty about using the westside for foiling. will join the on the east end next time
let us know if there are any work parties slated this spring.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu May 04, 17 7:52 am     Reply with quote

stringy

For your punishment you're required to post at least 100 new kite photos to this forum within the next 30 days !!! Otherwise, we hang you

O, and you can repeat your mistake every month with the same punishment !

Very Happy

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 04, 17 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
stringy

For your punishment you're required to post at least 100 new kite photos to this forum within the next 30 days !!! Otherwise, we hang you

O, and you can repeat your mistake every month with the same punishment !

Very Happy

We think he should be required to have cold beer in his fancy Sprinter at all times for law abiding kiters Wink

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue May 16, 17 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Bought and paid. As always, thanks for the heads up! Man, I've got to get a smaller rig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: