Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2017 Event Site parking pass
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue May 02, 17 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
JeffT wrote:
I really wish the port/city would allow overnight parking for campers in the grass/gravel lot next to the event site.
2X that!!!
Anyone remember that one season years ago when they offered overnight parking on the grass next to the marina restrooms and the DMV? I don't remember the year or the exact deal but I've always wondered why they only did that one summer. Anyone here remember? Seems like maybe 20~ years ago. (?) Or is my dementia acting up again? Confused

Yup. Seriously had me thinking about giving up the pricey rental I lived in and going homeless. I knew one guy back then doing that and, well, it made a lot of sense. Showers, evenings spent in a lawnchair in the parking lot reading a book and chilling, then car sleeping. He had a wagon. He had it figured out. 1991

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 02, 17 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
JeffT wrote:
I really wish the port/city would allow overnight parking for campers in the grass/gravel lot next to the event site.
2X that!!!
Anyone remember that one season years ago when they offered overnight parking on the grass next to the marina restrooms and the DMV? I don't remember the year or the exact deal but I've always wondered why they only did that one summer. Anyone here remember? Seems like maybe 20~ years ago. (?) Or is my dementia acting up again? Confused

I remember - it was the same summer that the Gorge Games was huge.
The open camping was a complete disaster - overflowing toilets and garbage everywhere.
Either the city/port has to be all-in and provide services (toilets, water, garbage) or nothing at all. There's codes that governs camp sites and the event site would never pass the code test without a lot of upgrades, services, and paid employees.
If they allowed overnight parking.... by August there'd be 100 vehicles there at night - and not all of them here for recreation.

Now - if a private person was to lease the land and provide those services that would be an interesting proposal to take to the port.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue May 02, 17 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

Heck, it even pre-dated the Gorge Games, but yes, I could not agree more. It seems the Port is actually missing out on a pretty good opportunity (overnight RV parking in the dirt lot). Must be a reason (perhaps slated not too distant future development) because I don't think they pass up many opportunities to make some $.

Anyway, thanks for the preseason parking pass heads-up again!!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 02, 17 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

As a perennial Event Site Season Pass holder, I would be vehemently opposed to overnight parking within the Event Site. I view those parking spaces in the same way I do any other day-use venue, which is access to recreation for that day.

The dirt lot? That's a different beast. That said, when the Event Site fills up I expect to be able to park in the dirt lot, which I see as very convenient, and appreciated, overflow for those of us who pony up for a pass.

Eric

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 6:20 am    Event site Reply with quote

If the event site parking lot is full and people are parking in the dirt lot its too crowded to kite anyway. What we really need is more launch sites. Come on people make noise. Squeaky wheels gets the grease.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 03, 17 8:05 am    Re: Event site Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
If the event site parking lot is full and people are parking in the dirt lot its too crowded to kite anyway. What we really need is more launch sites. Come on people make noise. Squeaky wheels gets the grease.

agreed. practical launch sites that are regularly usable too........on a west wind, without a bunch of hazards.

I believe this is referred to as a 'hijack'. Sorry, its a sensitive topic for me

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 03, 17 8:15 am    Re: Event site Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:

Perhaps you and OG would like to suggest where new launches could be developed?
Perhaps you and OG could join the CGKA and volunteer your time to make it happen - if you haven't already?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 03, 17 8:35 am     Reply with quote

HA! I remember one of my cheapest Gorge adventure weekends back when Walmart invited camping. Gas from Tacoma, one Rinconcito burrito @ $2.50, free lodging in Walmart, McD $1.00 egg mcmuffin, no parking or launch fees. 1992.

After that I went 1st cabin with overnight sleeping in the parking lot or side streets near the Bingen School Haus, with a $2 shower.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 8:39 am    launch Reply with quote

I tired to get people talking about this before. Rowena is the logical choice in my mind. Rail road access, money for the state in parking fees and there is a brick out house. And every year there is less and less windsurfers there. I have spoke to several people in the know about Rowena. It seems to be a waiting game.
Where else is there?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 03, 17 9:11 am    Re: launch Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
I tired to get people talking about this before. Rowena is the logical choice in my mind. Rail road access, money for the state in parking fees and there is a brick out house. And every year there is less and less windsurfers there. I have spoke to several people in the know about Rowena. It seems to be a waiting game.
Where else is there?

Rowena is being worked on.
If you have experience with these type of issues and working with state parks and government bureaucracy - send a PM to CPC219 - he's working with the Rowena Ranger to improve access.
There's no motivation for the park Ranger to make any changes.... so yeah - it's taking forever to get them to approve any site enhancements.

But if you're an advanced kiter - you can launch and land there now.
Improvements to make it more user friendly will only cause overcrowding there.
Best case scenario we improve the launch to be be 30 yards wide - still won't handle a large crowd.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed May 03, 17 9:17 am    Re: Event site Reply with quote

eric wrote:
As a perennial Event Site Season Pass holder, I would be vehemently opposed to overnight parking within the Event Site. I view those parking spaces in the same way I do any other day-use venue, which is access to recreation for that day.

Agree 100%.

wannabekiter wrote:

We have the launch sites if you don't like crowds. Ever put a kite up from Bingens launch? No? No worries, nobody else has either. Laughing Or, drive another 10 minutes to Rowena any day of the year and you'll be bringing your tether to assist but Rowena is not beginner friendly yet, nor is Stevenson, or Secret, and Lyle is technically still not legal. So that leaves beginner kiters fresh from lessons the Event Site Sandbar option. Luckily, it's huge and even on a crazy busy holiday weekend if you can tack upwind through a little bit of western shoreline traffic you'll have miles of carefree upwind kiting almost every day of the season. If you're a beginner and still stare at your kite with sloppy downwind transitions.......the Sandbar will intimidate the shit out of you. If you're out there @ 9:00 AM......you'll be alone. Know your skills and time your day accordingly. Also, for all of you visiting kiters who have solid skills but choose to ride back-n-forth along the western Sandbar shoreline during busy weekends quit compensating for your small dick/bald head syndrome and kick it downwind to the Marina or else the Dangler will happily entertain your wife in his van during your session. Shocked Be stoked when rolling through the Hood, ask questions, and always give way to newbies because we've all been there.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 9:31 am    Crowds Reply with quote

Awesome post sella We just need to build a gate on 84 and keep people out. It would solve the crowd problem at post canyon and the event site. Gota go back to work now. Very Happy

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Some basic data to be aware of:

Event Site :

Parking fees cover around 40-50% of maintenance fees for managing this and other recreational access locations on the Port Property. The only recreational property that the Port owns that covers its user costs is the Boat Marina.
Bridge Toll fees are what cover the remaining maintenance balance of costs for the Port's recreational properties.
Overnight camping would increase the garbage and maintenance fees dramatically, henceforth why no locations offer this in the Hood River area.
*Side note - The pumping and launching of kites on the westside of the Event Site (in the Windsurf designated area) is starting to make us look like very ungrateful and unfriendly Event Site users. If you like the Event Site access during off season and want to keep it, then please help manage this situation. When we renegotiate this option each year, it makes it more difficult each year when we go to the meeting table to hash out the launch access plans with the Port and other user groups.

Rowena :
The CGKA and the CGWA have been working hand in hand on plans to make improvements. Oregon State Parks is experiencing some very, very lean times in regards to budget capabilities. Wind related state parks are some of the least utilized and most underfunded due to the requirement of wind for these locations to generate user fee income. In addition, the East End of this park (behind the fencing) is sacred/historical native american land. Environmentally, there are no modifications that we can do to the existing shoreline or land areas (this is all solid rock). The current and only available plan, is to bring in gravel and grade out a designated launch/landing section on the east side of the waterfront area near the corner of the fenceline. This allows for being clear of other users and a downwind buffer for bad launches and self landing.

Lyle:
AKA Fight Club (because road/RR access are very illegal) - For us, this is a losing battle when negotiating with WSDOT or the rail representatives. BUT! There is a county commissioner in Lyle who is paving the way for a legal pedestrian accessway under the bridges (avoiding WSDOT and Rail legalities/liabilities). It will cost them a buttload of money via state grants, but they are determined to make this happen. BUT, another big BUT!!, in order for the kiteboard community to be included in this positive endeavor, we have to abide by the local residents and fishing community to kite only on the westside of the sandbar (the river mouth is a very historic and sacred fishing location, as well as an important accessway for spawning.) I have minimal faith that the kite community can do this, but it is our only way if we want to continue to kite there.

Blackberry Beach:
If we can get a volunteer to take over the lead on this, we have full permission to go to town on clearing and cleaning up of this launch. With the initial clearing, we only cleared out about half of what we were given permission to clear, but this takes a person willing to take it on. We are only volunteers here and limitations are limitations.

Future sites:
We are involved in discussions for future launch location possibilities in the Wyeth area and a very large section of waterfront land just west of town that is currently being held in a trust until Oregon State Parks can step up with a plan for how to develop and maintain a state park at this location (as well, the finalizing of the Portland-Hood River interurban trail will directly be a part of this).

Want to help? Join the CGKA or even better, join the board of directors.
I'll be honest, it can be hella boring, but we do a lot of stuff on a daily, monthly, and annual basis that protects, maintains and opens possibilities for new launch access locations.

One last reminder:

Stop pumping and launching on the west side of the Event Site!!!!
This makes us look bad, irresponsible and unfriendly. Hood River Kiters, I feel, are quite the opposite.
Plus, I hate it when this comes up in our face each year when we renegotiate for this access, it's plain embarassing.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 9:51 am     Reply with quote

The crowd was huge on sunday at the event site. With the spit not being used the grass area was out of hand. I went back home and watched tv

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed May 03, 17 10:08 am     Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
The crowd was huge on sunday at the event site. With the spit not being used the grass area was out of hand. I went back home and watched tv

Last sunday was not even close to big crowds (not mentioning huge summer crowds) - and looks like you seriously missed out - it was a pretty awesome day out there.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed May 03, 17 10:22 am    Crowds Reply with quote

No, I live here I did not miss out.. Friday was better

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed May 03, 17 10:28 am    Re: Crowds Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
No, I live here I did not miss out.. Friday was better
Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: