Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rescue poll
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Apr 29, 17 11:54 am    Rescue poll Reply with quote

I’d like to take a poll on an issue that the recent Marine Board attempt to secure power and fee structures over non-motorized water sports has raised.

Please save discussion for another thread on the results of this poll. Simply answer only A, B, C, or D to indicate which choice best describes your approach to, and feelings on, kiteboarding/kitesurfing "on the water" accidents or equipment failures. And please do not hold back your response out of fear of criticism on your stance. Save all criticism of others stance for another time.

As a kiteboarder/kitesurfer.......

A. I rely on being rescued by a governmental agency such as the US Coast Guard, Sheriff, or Fire Department, in the event of an accident or equipment failure. Those agencies are the primary means of my safety and I do not wish to engage in my own self-rescue.

B. I would hope to be rescued, but do not rely on being rescued by a governmental agency such as the US Coast Guard, Sheriff, or Fire Department, in the event of an accident or equipment failure. I am the primary means of my self-rescue, but hope/expect to be rescued in the event I am injured.

C. I do not rely on being rescued by a governmental agency such as the US Coast Guard, Sheriff, or Fire Department, in the event of an accident or equipment failure. I expect to self-rescue myself in all situations, even in the event that I am injured.

D. None of the above/do not wish to answer.

Please post an answer - either A, B, C or D and save discussions for another time on another thread. For those of you who are afraid to answer honestly, your vote is the most the most important.

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Apr 29, 17 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

C. I do not rely on being rescued by a governmental agency such as the US Coast Guard, Sheriff, or Fire Department, in the event of an accident or equipment failure. I expect to self-rescue myself in all situations, even in the event that I am injured.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 29, 17 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

C

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 29, 17 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

C.

But I'll buy beer for any kind of help.

This year I want to master picking up those stray boards and dropping them down wind of the owner for big karmic gains. And beer. Or buds.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Apr 29, 17 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

C

On that note I was "rescued" by the local sheriffs boat while shclogging in on a windsurfer at the hook after a downwinders from Stevenson. I was all of 25 yards off of the beach and they came in lights flashing on the boat and made me pull all my gear onto their boat. I tried to tell them I was almost in but they did not care. They grabbed all my gear and crushed the rail of my board while throwing it hard into the deck of the boat. They then gave me a ticket for having no running lights on my "vessel". I never paid the fine, and after ten years I got a letter saying if I did not pay $490 for the original 180 dollar fine I would have a mark on my permanent record. I then went and talked to a judge and he laughed and threw the whole thing out. After 10 years!

Anyway, I would be wary of any government agency tryin to "help" you while on the water

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 29, 17 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

C

Popcorn

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 29, 17 6:16 pm    Rescue Reply with quote

B Very Happy

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostSat Apr 29, 17 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

B

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostSat Apr 29, 17 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

C

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Apr 30, 17 4:06 am     Reply with quote

B

altaholic

Since 19 Feb 2012
8 Posts
alta,utah
Kook

PostSun Apr 30, 17 4:44 am     Reply with quote

c

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 30, 17 5:37 am     Reply with quote

C

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 30, 17 5:38 am     Reply with quote

C

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 30, 17 6:10 am     Reply with quote

C

In fact, a few years ago I was doing a very nice efficient self rescue, only to notice flashing blue lights and flashing red lights waiting for me at Rooster Rock SP. Two different govt agencies thought I was dying. Another time time here in Tacoma after a tangled kitemare, a sailboat tossed me a (short) rope to tow me ashore, pulled by a poorly tuned 10hp motor. Stupid me, I held on for maybe 5 minutes and inhaled huge levels of carbon-monoxide. Puked for hours. Thank You.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 30, 17 6:48 am     Reply with quote

B

I know - no comments but....

I think the question you might ask yourself before answering is: "Are there situations you can think of where having the option of a rescue boat might save your life?"

I never expect to be in these situations, but they can (and have) happened to others:

- Wind dies and current taking kiteboarder towards dam
- Mis-judge distance from barge and get kite caught on barge
- Get wrapped up in kite lines and fixed object (buoy) while in water

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Apr 30, 17 7:16 am     Reply with quote

B

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 30, 17 9:46 am     Reply with quote

C+ if I'm going to die a little help would be nice. but things happen so fast. If things go bad, being rescued by a non agency water user is more likely.
I've only had negative encounters with marine agencies. I'm not saying they are all bad, but, their job is to ticket recreationalist water users to pay their salaries.
I almost got a ticket in the middle of rescuing a guy that flipped his catamaran.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: