Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Opinions on teaching a friend
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
GorgeKite.com

Since 17 Mar 2008
225 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Apr 10, 17 10:00 pm    Why wait until summer? Reply with quote

We open for kiteboarding lessons next week! If your friend wants to kite this summer tell them to get started this spring. They can take a few lessons to speed up the learning curve. Then you can just ride with them while they work on turns! Oh and the Gorge is not busy in spring like it is in the summer Laughing

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Apr 11, 17 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

O-dog will teach you right. If I am not mistaken he might of done the hatchery to sandbar run back in the day when learning. Wonder if that is the lesson now?

GorgeKite.com

Since 17 Mar 2008
225 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostWed Apr 12, 17 6:22 am    Lessons Reply with quote

Hahaha no. drags from the hatch are not part of the lesson Shocked

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostSat Apr 22, 17 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Take them out at 7 am... you will own the beach even in the middle of summer. Just wait for a windy morning.

Nevo

PostTue May 02, 17 9:01 am    My Thoughts Reply with quote

It's fine to teach friends and I think it's also a good stepping stone to lead them to a formal instructor. Here's why:

1. You might not want to trash your gear teaching friends.
2. At some point, if something goes wrong, it's nice for them to blame a formal instructor instead of you!
3. The more friends you teach, the more will want to learn, the less time you'll actually ride.

I love introducing friends to the trainer kite. If they enjoy it they can spend a lot of time screwing with a trainer which will help them immensely when they go to take lessons. It's also worthwhile to teach them about walking out your lines, pumping your kite, beach safety. All of those things will prep them to take paid lessons.

Find an instructor that you know will do a good job. I made way more progression on a 3 hour lesson in Squamish with a good instructor than I did on a 6 day kite camp in La Ventana with crap instructors. Telling your friends to go pay for a lesson and having them get nothing out of it is a terrible feeling. If they show up and can demonstrate solid trainer skills and basic setup requirements then the instructor can move them along rapidly.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue May 02, 17 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

Give him Real "zero to hero" vid and a trainer kite and after teach him on the snow, I was self taught and the transition to water was cake. A lot easier to walk to your kite them swimming but then again snowkiting in Oregon is nothing like CO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: